Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslamate projected range down about 2% within just a month of purchase - M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post. First of all let me express my thanks and appreciation for all the info that you guys have put together. I have been spending a lot of time recently on here reading about the specifics of the car (especially the battery, expectations, maintenance, degradation calculation, etc).
I picked up a new model 3 LR on June 3rd so its been almost about a month. Have put on about 2100 miles already. Been loving the experience so far. There is one thing that has kinda started bothering me. The battery degradation whichever way I calculate it, seems to be about 2% already (projected range down to about 351ish from 358). This also aligns with the projected range chart from teslamate.

Here are my teslamate charts. I installed teslamate on 6/13 (so about 10 days after the delivery) which is why the mileage and date starts from then.

Is this is a usual observation for the recent new buyers as well (about 2% degradation within a month or so)? Just curious. Any charts like below would be highly appreciated.

1657080433413.png

1657080487279.png

1657080578038.png

And where are you getting your 358 from? a new AWD from Tesla is estimated at 334mi, per the website right now.
It's 358 if the 18" wheels are selected, it's 334 with the 19s.
I do agree with @Sophias_dad though, 2% is nothing and you'll never miss it. Watch it over time but it's very common in the first year to get 6% degradation or so. The curve will settle out.

2% is noise.

I'd like to just point out here that if your old ICE car had its fuel economy change by 2%, or probably even 5%, you wouldn't know/notice/care. You should just sit back, relax, and enjoy your new car.

And where are you getting your 358 from? a new AWD from Tesla is estimated at 334mi, per the website right now.
It depends on how a person drives and it will affect the range. I have never drove. And owned an EV except the time we did test drive. The ICE cars we have never reach the estimated miles range on local due to a lot of stop-n-go in our town. In total, my mpg is always lesser than the original estimate even when the cars were brand new.

I agree that 2% is nothing much.

OP - you need to provide us with your charging habits in order to get a clearer picture. Additionally, you need to explain what you mean by "projected range." You will only know the true projected range by charging to 100% until it says "charging complete." If you are doing some math extrapolation, there will be error in there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
The battery degradation whichever way I calculate it, seems to be about 2% already (projected range down to about 351ish from 358). This also aligns with the projected range chart from teslamate.

I happen to also agree with the others that 2% is simply "noise", but OP even if you dont agree with that, there is nothing (nothing, zip, nada) that tesla would do for you regarding battery degradation unless or until it reaches 30%.

Do all that teslamate tracking because "you want to know" not because you think you are going to be able to do anything about it, or that tesla will do something about it (they wont, unless it reaches at least 30%).

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I appreciate the responses and understand that the 2% is negligible or noise as you guys have put it. I am not planning to complain about this to Tesla. I was mostly curious for more datapoints from others. I have read that about 5 to 6% is normal in the 1st year which gives me a really good baseline on what to expect, but haven't seen much data on how the battery degradation trends during that first year (perhaps on a monthly level?). If anyone has any projected range charts from teslamate or teslafi or such data loggers, it would be interesting to see the first 12 months trend.

Interesting to see that sharp decline just after the 4000 mark. Perhaps it was seasonal (going into summer months)?
The Stats developer switched SOC APIs in Dec 2020, to one that is temperature agnostic. Before, you'd see seasonality, but afterward, the seasonality should be gone. Since Kimmi's car is after the switch, there should be minimal seasonality.

Below, I marked winter. I got my 2018 in December, so the chart starts in Winter, and 310miles is my EPA rating. You even see a blue snowflake day at around 285miles in my 2nd Winter.

At 16,000 miles, 3rd Winter, the developer made the SOC API switch, middle of Winter, so all of a sudden, my low range estimates popped back up to 310.

At around 28,000 miles, you can see there's the slightest bump, that's last Winter, and you see an ever so slight dip, even though the SOC API is the temperature-agnostic one.

Yes, my battery shows minimal deg. Still 310 miles as it has yet to use up its top buffer. According to SMT, it has 77.1kWh of its original Nominal Full Pack of 77.8kWh. The NFP number isn't actually known, but what everyone assumes for that generation of pack.
IMG_4767.jpeg

Reactions: Regaj
Your best bet is to quit worrying about every few miles lost in range and enjoy the ride. There are chargers everywhere for any trips, and hopefully you have an outlet you can use to charge up at night. Other than that, everything is good. Just remember that ALL batteries lose storage capacity, over time and with number of charges (that is, the combined charges that would equal a full charge), and that the batteries will lose about 5% in the first year, to then taper off to about one percent per year later. If you feel that you don't have enough range to suit your needs, you should have bought more storage, or a car with more battery. I enjoy my Long-Range S partly because of its "400 mile" range, though I would never think to check it every month to see if it's lost 20 miles of range yet. It's approximate, depending on many factors.

The Stats developer switched SOC APIs in Dec 2020, to one that is temperature agnostic. Before, you'd see seasonality, but afterward, the seasonality should be gone. Since Kimmi's car is after the switch, there should be minimal seasonality.

Below, I marked winter. I got my 2018 in December, so the chart starts in Winter, and 310miles is my EPA rating. You even see a blue snowflake day at around 285miles in my 2nd Winter.

At 16,000 miles, 3rd Winter, the developer made the SOC API switch, middle of Winter, so all of a sudden, my low range estimates popped back up to 310.

At around 28,000 miles, you can see there's the slightest bump, that's last Winter, and you see an ever so slight dip, even though the SOC API is the temperature-agnostic one.

Yes, my battery shows minimal deg. Still 310 miles as it has yet to use up its top buffer. According to SMT, it has 77.1kWh of its original Nominal Full Pack of 77.8kWh. The NFP number isn't actually known, but what everyone assumes for that generation of pack.
View attachment 826316
Thats good to know KenC. However, when I meant the summer effect for Kimmi's Car, I meant the accelerated degradation of battery capacity due to the hot temperatures as it has been discussed in this forum that higher temperatures usually mean higher degradation on a relative scale.

Your best bet is to quit worrying about every few miles lost in range and enjoy the ride. There are chargers everywhere for any trips, and hopefully you have an outlet you can use to charge up at night. Other than that, everything is good. Just remember that ALL batteries lose storage capacity, over time and with number of charges (that is, the combined charges that would equal a full charge), and that the batteries will lose about 5% in the first year, to then taper off to about one percent per year later. If you feel that you don't have enough range to suit your needs, you should have bought more storage, or a car with more battery. I enjoy my Long-Range S partly because of its "400 mile" range, though I would never think to check it every month to see if it's lost 20 miles of range yet. It's approximate, depending on many factors.
Well I have made it clear in my previous post but i guess I could do a better job with stating that these questions are more out of curiosity to understand battery behavior out there in the real world and not because I am too worried about the range loss. Model 3 LR has sufficient range in IMO for the real world scenario for majority of people out there (perhaps even with the 10 or 12% degaradation).
BTW, coming back to the curious question part, for anyone who has teslamate installed, would love to see how your projected range chart is panning out.

I use Teslafi instead of Teslamate but here's my chart after almost 10 months of ownership. The pack has very seldom been brought up to a high enough SOC to balance.

I'm all for looking at data like this out of curiosity, but keep in mind that this data is all a guess that the BMS is making and isn't exactly indicative of the battery's actual capacity. You need to cycle the battery down to a low SOC (10% or lower) and then full charge back to 100% to "recalibrate" what the BMS thinks the max range will be. Tools like Teslafi and Teslamate are just looking at this BMS reported max charge range, and have no bearing on whether or not that calculation is accurate or is drifted.

1657375284067.png

It depends on how a person drives and it will affect the range. I have never drove. And owned an EV except the time we did test drive. The ICE cars we have never reach the estimated miles range on local due to a lot of stop-n-go in our town. In total, my mpg is always lesser than the original estimate even when the cars were brand new.

I agree that 2% is nothing much.
FYI in a Tesla this don't apply to the range shown on top of the speed limit. Its based on EPA and will always be.

If you want to know the real estimated range, look at the energy graph.

Somebody proposed that summer/winter could affect the Rated Range. I have for years calculated Projected Range in Excel and have these historic data for my October 2015 Model S 70D.:

Notice that minimum Projected Rated Range is always in December and maximum Projected Rated Range is always July or August :):)
1701165793186.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC