Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate Super Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

focher

Oct 15, 2013
Bay Area
Thank you to those who introduced the app and the developer. TeslaMate is a complete self-hosted way to collect car stats without giving over credentials to a third party.

It’s available as a Docker container, the easiest way to run many apps on your computer, a NAS appliance, or a Raspberry Pi.

Let’s use this thread to help each other set it up and configure it.

Just wondering if anyone was able to get it running on unRAID NAS? I can't seem to get it mapping correctly. I pulled it from the DockerHub...
image.jpg

Just wondering if anyone was able to get it running on unRAID NAS? I can't seem to get it mapping correctly. I pulled it from the DockerHub...
View attachment 489334
Do you have access to an ssh terminal on that NAS? Without knows all the GUI settings for Docker containers on that NAS, it will be hard to help much. And a lot of NAS devices do not expose all the configuration parameters you might need. TeslaMate is also actually three containers. One is the TeslaMate web application, one is the Grafana server (for graphs etc), and the other is a database server to store the data.

The best approach is to use the command line if it's available. Then it's as simple as copying and pasting the docker-compose.yml file into a file on the NAS, then issuing a "docker-compose up" command to start the container.

View attachment 489334

i did get it running well on unraid, but not via the normal docker templates. i used the same way most other
systems use docker, docker-compose.

first, install "nerd pack" from Apps, then use that to install docker-compose.

just put the docker-compose.yml copied from the teslamate instructions somewhere like /mnt/user/appdata/teslamate, then from that directory:
docker-compose up -d

anytime you want to update it, cd to the directory, and:
docker-compose down; docker-compose pull; docker-compose up -d

then go to http://tower.local:4000 or http://tower.local:3000

id love an unraid template, but im not savvy enough to convert it over. it shows up on the dashboard, but missing some clickables from the unraid gui.

• Helpful
Reactions: HostileHarry
i did get it running well on unraid, but not via the normal docker templates. i used the same way most other
systems use docker, docker-compose.

first, install "nerd pack" from Apps, then use that to install docker-compose.

just put the docker-compose.yml copied from the teslamate instructions somewhere like /mnt/user/appdata/teslamate, then from that directory:
docker-compose up -d

anytime you want to update it, cd to the directory, and:
docker-compose down; docker-compose pull; docker-compose up -d

then go to http://tower.local:4000 or http://tower.local:3000

id love an unraid template, but im not savvy enough to convert it over. it shows up on the dashboard, but missing some clickables from the unraid gui.

Going to try this later today. It seems that there are a decent amount of Tesla owners who use unRIAD. I saw someone over on Reddit was going to try and create an unRAID TeslaMate template (maybe). I will report back later to see if I can get it to work.

Thank you very much Paulk.

@paulk I got Nerdpack installed and then went to Settings and installed docker-compose. Now I'm a bit stuck as to where I can find the CLI/Shell it complete the rest. Do you mind pointing me to the correct tab? Thank you.

Edit: I figured it out. It's been a while since I've used command line linux :) Installing it all now.

Last edited:
I'm using Teslamate for a while now and want to move it from a Windows server with Docker to a Raspberry Pi 4 with Docker. It's installed on both now, but I don't succeed in moving the old data to the RPI. Someone knows if this is possible and what to copy? I already found some manuals on how to move Docker containers or volumes, but I still see a fresh install and no old data.

I imagine you’d have to dump the Postgres database from your windows docker to the pi, as Postgres is where all the data is stored. enter a shell inside the source server's Postgress docker, go into a folder that's mapped to the host, and use the pg_dump command.

$ pg_dump -U {user-name} {source_db} -f {dumpfilename.sql}

on my install, the username and db are both named teslamate, so my command looked like this:

$ pg_dump -U teslamate teslamate -f dataBackup.sql

get out of the docker, and then on the host transfer that .sql file (mine was 46mb) to the raspberry into a folder that's mapped to the destination postgres docker. enter that Postgres docker's shell, go into the mapped directory so you can see the sql file, and overwrite its database:

$ psql -U {user-name} -d {desintation_db}-f {dumpfilename.sql}

for me, it would look like this:

$ psql -U teslamate -d teslamate -f dataBackup.sql

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: focher
i have Hassio installed on my rasp pi 4, anyway to manually install TeslaMate on the rasp pi 4 to run concurrently? Im really new to the whole pi and linux thing
You won’t be able to do it if you install hassio from the hassio image.

IF you install plain old raspbian on the pi, then install Docer-ce (community edition), then install hassio using these instruction (install for generic Linux host), THEN you can install the Teslamate docker container along side hassio. The issue is the “regular” hassio install completely takes over the whole pi for hass. This, is of course easy for beginners, but then your pi is dedicated to running hassio and its add-ones only.

If you are new to Linux and docker, you might struggle with this a bit.

Reactions: ranova
You won’t be able to do it if you install hassio from the hassio image.

IF you install plain old raspbian on the pi, then install Docer-ce (community edition), then install hassio using these instruction (install for generic Linux host), THEN you can install the Teslamate docker container along side hassio. The issue is the “regular” hassio install completely takes over the whole pi for hass. This, is of course easy for beginners, but then your pi is dedicated to running hassio and its add-ones only.

If you are new to Linux and docker, you might struggle with this a bit.

yep, been struggling with rasbian, docker, and docker-compose the past day and boy, you are right. Im probably going to still go this route since I only just recently started with home assistant so might as do it now since Rasp Pi 4 4gb is pretty overkill for just Home Assistant

yep, been struggling with rasbian, docker, and docker-compose the past day and boy, you are right. Im probably going to still go this route since I only just recently started with home assistant so might as do it now since Rasp Pi 4 4gb is pretty overkill for just Home Assistant
I could not get Python to cooperate on the docker-compose portion... I ended up just re-imaging my Rasberry Pi to the newest version os Rasbian - worked like a charm after that.

I ended up scrapping my Rasp Pi 4 and created a Ubuntu VM on my main desktop. Everything is working so far and its much, much faster than Rasp Pi 4 - which can be seen with the new TeslaFi import feature. It took my Pi4 overnight to import from April of last year and it only took a few hours on my desktop

I hope that Teslamate adds a feature of estimated gas saved by week, month, year, all time, etc

Reactions: chilman408