Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate Super Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, apparently, I still own a web site that I have been paying for. No web hosting atm.

Could I just follow these instructions to get Teslamate up and running for me?

Hosting 27x7 on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi 4, 8GB with inline battery acting as a UPS, should grid power fail - until the whole house generator kicks in 15s later. Works well.

I was confused when you said you had no web hosting. Anyway, my point is there's no reason to pay for this if you have a small computer or a Raspberry Pi that you can run this on. I'll let someone else chime in on the rest of your question.
Did you look at the article? It goes over web hosting viable for teslamate. I can web host for 3 years for less then the price of a Pi that you cant buy anyway.

Hosting 27x7 on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi 4, 8GB with inline battery acting as a UPS, should grid power fail - until the whole house generator kicks in 15s later. Works well.
Maybe inexpensive is relative, but I don't see any in stock to purchase anyhow. Web hosting is cheaper and has the added benefit of being able to access on any browser, not just local network.

Maybe no one goes this route?

• Disagree
Reactions: jebinc
Did you look at the article? It goes over web hosting viable for teslamate. I can web host for 3 years for less then the price of a Pi that you cant buy anyway.

Maybe inexpensive is relative, but I don't see any in stock to purchase anyhow. Web hosting is cheaper and has the added benefit of being able to access on any browser, not just local network.

Sure, but maybe it's just me who prefers being in control of my data (when possible). I run mine on a Mac mini server that's on 24/7 anyway. But I recognize not everyone is going to have the same use case.

• Love

I’m going to call BS on this as Amazon has plenty.

AE80CE2B-2D9B-490C-BAC8-9FE95F9CCDFF.png

I would not recommend externally hosting Teslamate unless you also have a reverse proxy in place to secure it. The absolute easiest way to host it is through a set of Docker containers - regardless of whether you self-host or use an external hosting provider.

But if you do externally host then I have no advice to give.

I would not recommend externally hosting Teslamate unless you also have a reverse proxy in place to secure it. The absolute easiest way to host it is through a set of Docker containers - regardless of whether you self-host or use an external hosting provider.

But if you do externally host then I have no advice to give.
This.

The teslamate stack as currently implemented is not setup to be hosted somewhere directly accessible. You need to know what you're doing to do that. There's no SSL encryption, user/password or anything. You would need to make sure to set up VPN access to the cloud host or setup a reverse SSL proxy (NGINX, Traefik, HA Proxy).

I personally self-host at home and on the rare occasion I want to look at it when I am not home, I VPN to my server and then load it.

This.

The teslamate stack as currently implemented is not setup to be hosted somewhere directly accessible. You need to know what you're doing to do that. There's no SSL encryption, user/password or anything. You would need to make sure to set up VPN access to the cloud host or setup a reverse SSL proxy (NGINX, Traefik, HA Proxy).

I personally self-host at home and on the rare occasion I want to look at it when I am not home, I VPN to my server and then load it.
Agreed. Not sure why some would “download” a valid post about security concerns with web hosting!

I have mine hosted in GCP securely with username/password and SSL.

I don't remember what I did to do it, but it was about a year ago and took me an hour or something. Wasn't complicated, but I do this for a living.

Currently costs me about $30 a month in hosting, but I don't really care because I can access it from my phone from anywhere.

This.

Exactly the same process here.

Right, I just did this: Advanced installation with Traefik, Let's Encrypt & HTTP Basic Auth | TeslaMate

Pretty straightforward.

Also setup a crontab to push the backups to Google Storage once a week and pull the latest Teslamate once a week.
Me too. Followed those instuctions with just a few tweaks and was running it on AWS but sometime ago Tesla started blocking AWS, GCP, etc They probably don't do that anymore but at that time I just moved it to a tiny server I have sitting around at home. Essentially same setup for that and I also push backups to cloud. I also do this for a living so it was straightforward but if you aren't sure you might get someone to give you a little help if you are going to open it up to internet.

I've got TeslaMate running on Docker on a Windows 10 PC. How do I get alerts to work. I have set up a Telegram Notification Channel and the test alert works fine, but how do I set up Alert Rules. For example, I want an alert to notify me when the SoC is less than 25%. So I go to the "Charge Level" Dashboard, edit, and click the Bell icon on the bottom left and it says "Template variables are not supported in alert queries". Any help would be appreciated please.
Did you resolve this by any chance? I see that Grafana 8 has more/better support for Alerts, which was released after your initial post.

So I will take my issue here and see if anyone else can help out. Appreciate @jebinc and @WilliamG support thus far in a private conversation.

Short and sweet of it is my kWh and Efficiency (image below) is not being displayed on my Drives dashboard. I believe this is due to the Model and Efficiency not insert into the cars table, however I am slightly nervous to just start botching the database.

Does anyone know how I could remove and re-add my vehicle without blowing away the database? Alternatively, if blowing up the database is the fix, probably prefer to do it now as opposed to later when I have more miles logged.

I had no issues with my previous Model S, but it seems like something is missing since I got my new Model S.

Github issue is here

Relevant logs are:
Code:
teslamate=# select id, efficiency from cars;
 id | efficiency
----+------------
  1 |         
(1 row)

teslamate=# select * from cars;
 id |       eid        |     vid      | model | efficiency |     inserted_at     |     updated_at      |        vin        |   name   | trim_badging | settings_id | exterior_color | spoiler_type | wheel_type | display_priority
----+------------------+--------------+-------+------------+---------------------+---------------------+-------------------+----------+--------------+-------------+----------------+--------------+------------+------------------
  1 | 1493058266263777 | 265533451232 |       |            | 2021-11-22 17:33:31 | 2021-11-22 17:33:31 | 5YJSA1E5XMF454--- | Catalina | 100D         |           1 | SolidBlack     | None         | Cardenio19 |                1
(1 row)

If anyone else has a refreshed Model S LR and can run the SQL code above, that would be greatly appreciated. I compared it to my old Model S TeslaMate installation and the Model and Efficiency is definitely there. So I feel like this was a bad insert when the car was initially added to the installation. Just not sure on the next steps to solve it short of just blowing things up.

144112668-7018e3bb-5aaa-4fbd-b66a-0f23c2de1cc0.png