Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate: Yet another self-hosted data logger for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
trip.png

charging.png

trips.png

I recently released v1.0 of TeslaMate, a self-hosted data logger. It can be easily setup on a Raspberry Pi, Synology NAS or any cloud/home server.

LINK: https://github.com/adriankumpf/teslamate

trip.png

charging.png

trips.png

I recently released v1.0 of TeslaMate, a self-hosted data logger. It can be easily setup on a Raspberry Pi, Synology NAS or any cloud/home server.

LINK: https://github.com/adriankumpf/teslamate

There's a good reason (one we may not really know) for this occurring (data logging service companies and apps popping up). Personally, I don't like the privacy aspect of it (or lack thereof), even though the reports are cool (all "services")…. For this reason, I will just look at other's data via the fleet reports/statistics that these companies provide.

There's a good reason (one we may not really know) for this occurring (data logging service companies and apps popping up). Personally, I don't like the privacy aspect of it (or lack thereof), even though the reports are cool (all "services")…. For this reason, I will just look at other's data via the fleet reports/statistics that these companies provide.

This privacy aspect is the whole reason I build this! The code is open source; one can run this software on own hardware and not data is being shared with a third party.

I installed it on a pi 3 with Docker. The manual install isn’t really working properly but docker works fine once you can get docker on the Pi (easier said than done).

Great work, I like it but have a few requests:

Is there a way to put the dashboards behind a password on grafana? I’m not even sure how to log in versus a standalone installed grafana (outside of docker).

Any way to see instantaneous data like speed and charging voltage/current? Sort of like what the Tesla-apiscraper project elsewhere here.

Also can I put multiple panels on one screen?

Also any way to add kWh rate to calculate costs?

I admit I’m not that familiar with grafana.

But the best part I like is the history. I travel and get miles reimbursed so I need to document my trips. This works really well.

This looks fantastic! I'd love to get off my subscription logger and host my own data. I'm terrible with Linux, although I've tinkered in the past with ubuntu and made a retro-pi machine. The Git-hub installation instructions are not nearly baby/dummy steps enough for me. Alternatively is it possible to get a raspberry pi SD card image of this, and then just edit some variables for our login credentials? Or does it not work that way? Or maybe a baby step by step installation on the QNAP NAS?

Nice, I just threw the docker compose file into my QNAP NAS in the "Container Station" app. Will update on how it goes...

And it appears to be working well. My only suggestions are...

1) Include the docker-compose.yml file in the repo itself

2) Add emphasis to the environment variables, and perhaps remove the ones that don't really matter (db username, instance name, etc) - to leave to the new user only the ones that really matter.

And it appears to be working well. My only suggestions are...

1) Include the docker-compose.yml file in the repo itself

2) Add emphasis to the environment variables, and perhaps remove the ones that don't really matter (db username, instance name, etc) - to leave to the new user only the ones that really matter.

Those are great suggestions!

OP Great utility and thank you for putting in this excellent work!

Im running ubuntu. Thoughts on how to make this start on startup? I was thinking a crontab but was wondering if you had any suggestions

Im willing to make a vmware virtual machine if anyone is interested. Heck I could even do a pi image.

If anyone is interested let me know

On a side note: If you have a spare computer, I recommend installing vmware esxi. Once you go this route, youll never use raspberry pis again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morristhecat
I installed it on a pi 3 with Docker. The manual install isn’t really working properly but docker works fine once you can get docker on the Pi (easier said than done).

Great work, I like it but have a few requests:

Is there a way to put the dashboards behind a password on grafana? I’m not even sure how to log in versus a standalone installed grafana (outside of docker).

Any way to see instantaneous data like speed and charging voltage/current? Sort of like what the Tesla-apiscraper project elsewhere here.

Also can I put multiple panels on one screen?

Also any way to add kWh rate to calculate costs?

I admit I’m not that familiar with grafana.

But the best part I like is the history. I travel and get miles reimbursed so I need to document my trips. This works really well.

Thank you!

Authentication is not part of this this project. When exposing Teslamate to the internet I recommend the use a "reverse-proxy". I'll need to write a guide on how to do this. But I haven't had time for this yet. If you just want to password protect Grafana, sign in with the default credentials and change the user password. Afterwards set the env variable " GF_AUTH_ANONYMOUS_ENABLED" to false.

Someone already started working on dashboard that is similar to the Tesla-apiscraper. But I mostly want to keep instantaneous and historical data separate (web UI vs Grafana). I'll add charging voltage/current to the web UI.

There is no way to add kWh rate yet.

This looks fantastic! I'd love to get off my subscription logger and host my own data. I'm terrible with Linux, although I've tinkered in the past with ubuntu and made a retro-pi machine. The Git-hub installation instructions are not nearly baby/dummy steps enough for me. Alternatively is it possible to get a raspberry pi SD card image of this, and then just edit some variables for our login credentials? Or does it not work that way? Or maybe a baby step by step installation on the QNAP NAS?

Feel free to open a Github Issue. Let's discuss it there.