Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate: Yet another self-hosted data logger for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone using the Stream API with Teslamate? I get a lot of timeout errors.
I'd like to know the point of using the Stream API. At this point in time, it is wreaking havoc on my syslog file filling up faster than it otherwise should.

2020-05-22T08:34:31.978119-07:00 cid QtCarServer[4022]: [ServiceServer] ERROR Thread 0xb0b52420 handling streaming::stream for 36208 msecs
<repeat a bazillion times>

As soon as I turn off Dockers TM instance, the error messages stop.

Any one else experience this issue and have a solution for it?

I'd like to know the point of using the Stream API. At this point in time, it is wreaking havoc on my syslog file filling up faster than it otherwise should.

2020-05-22T08:34:31.978119-07:00 cid QtCarServer[4022]: [ServiceServer] ERROR Thread 0xb0b52420 handling streaming::stream for 36208 msecs
<repeat a bazillion times>

As soon as I turn off Dockers TM instance, the error messages stop.

Any one else experience this issue and have a solution for it?

I was told that the Stream API gave more accurate data because the polling timeframe was shorter (its normally 3 seconds or more). So far its only caused me problems where I keep getting timeouts; so I turned it off.

I am using @BigTonyTones image and want to set a static IP address on my LAN. I tried editing dhcpcd.conf which did set the IP address and I could still SSH to the static address and access port 4000 from a browser.. If I tried logging in to my Tesla account I got an Unknown Error message. On port 3000 I just get a timeout. Is there something else I need to do?

I am using @BigTonyTones image and want to set a static IP address on my LAN. I tried editing dhcpcd.conf which did set the IP address and I could still SSH to the static address and access port 4000 from a browser.. If I tried logging in to my Tesla account I got an Unknown Error message. On port 3000 I just get a timeout. Is there something else I need to do?
Did you set a dns server address and gateway when you set static?
Also, On raspberry pis I recommend just using your routers DHCP reservation feature. It will assign that pis mac address the same ip address every time. Setting static on pis is really a pain IMO

Lastly dont forget to update teslamate when your up and ready

Run each of these commands and push enter after each one
sudo docker-compose down
sudo docker-compose pull
sudo docker-compose up -d

Reactions: Battpower
Did you set a dns server address and gateway when you set static?

I'm familiar with IPv4 in PC networks, but much less with pi / Linux. The only file I looked at was the dhcpcd.conf. I did set DNS (using the router's address as DNS proxy plus 8.8.8.8 but could not immediately see an entry for gateway - which is obviously needed if i'm setting address manually. I'll look again. Yes, it maybe easier to reserver the address at the router - until I swap out the router in years to come! Generally I prefer to have my static devices outside of the DHCP range.

I wasn't sure if that image you made had the pi's dhcp server on - or maybe searching for an existing dhcp. Need to double check.

Not intentionally related to my post above, but digging around for info about Docker and Grafana I saw something that I think was saying (Grafana) needs special configuration if run over multiple subnets. Not sure if that goes beyond just making sure the subnets are correctly configured and routing correctly.

You gotta make sure your using the right config method for the pi static ip address. I know rasbian differs on how you set it depending on the os version. There are two out there Wheezy and Stretch. I think I used stretch when I made the image so make sure you look up documentation for how to do it with raspbian stretch.

Reactions: Battpower
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about trying to host TeslaMate on the free tier of Google Cloud Run (Cloud Run: Container to production in seconds | Google Cloud) that has a "Always Free" tier?

Always free appears to gives you the following:
CPU: 180,000 vCPU-seconds per month
Memory: 360,000 GiB-seconds per month
Requests: 2 million requests per month

I'm a little concerned that it might go over the free tier limits but I don't know enough about TeslaMate at this point to really know, plus I'm sure I'm forgetting something that the free tier doesn't provide. Anyone have any thoughts or input?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about trying to host TeslaMate on the free tier of Google Cloud Run (Cloud Run: Container to production in seconds | Google Cloud) that has a "Always Free" tier?

I'm a little concerned that it might go over the free tier limits but I don't know enough about TeslaMate at this point to really know, plus I'm sure I'm forgetting something that the free tier doesn't provide. Anyone have any thoughts or input?

I may have found the answer to my question... I found this post over on Reddit where a user that goes by ahlexkim apparently has successfully installed Teslamate on the Google Cloud Platform.

Im concerned about the security of it. Teslamate sitting behind my firewall not open to the public is how I prefer it.

Im concerned about the security of it. Teslamate sitting behind my firewall not open to the public is how I prefer it.

I can fully understand that... Truth be told, I may end up changing my mind and going back to a self hosted version at some point. But part of the reason I wanted to try to host it for free on the web, was for the challenge and to learn some new skills, and I already had the domain so I figured I would see if it could be done.

That being said, I am happy to report that for anyone interested in hosting Teslamate (hopefully securely) on the web for free (minus domain registration costs if you don't already have one), last night with the help of the guide I found in this post by @DaveW in a separate thread, in the TMC UK forum, I was able to finally get Teslamate running on the always free tier of GCP (Google Cloud Platform) specifically using an f1-micro VPS instance.