Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate: Yet another self-hosted data logger for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run it on a Synology NAS with redundant hard drives providing 100% backup protection.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not a backup, it's just protection against disk failure.

What are people using to backup their data? I’m running Teslamate in Docker on Ubuntu server with a few other apps with separate compose files.

The documentation contains a section on backup/restore

Reactions: patricktr
The documentation contains a section on backup/restore

I meant like, is there an automated process that could be used instead more frequently? .bck file just lives locally anyway unless you move it somewhere else so not really a backup.

Was reading about people's history getting wiped when they went in for the HW3 upgrade and now I'm spooked.

I meant like, is there an automated process that could be used instead more frequently? .bck file just lives locally anyway unless you move it somewhere else so not really a backup.

Was reading about people's history getting wiped when they went in for the HW3 upgrade and now I'm spooked.

In your context (saving data before a car HW upgrade, creating a restore point) then yes it is a backup.
If you want it in a remote location, then no it isn't an *offsite*, but that's not the context you describe

What are people using to backup their data? I’m running Teslamate in Docker on Ubuntu server with a few other apps with separate compose files.
@DaveW over on the UK & Ireland forum has also provided a useful guide for automating a backup to google drive which I've followed (with appropriate minor adjustments for using my GCP instance rather than Pi) which will set up an automated backup using rclone and cron. If you follow his instructions there you will end up with a daily backup refreshing each week (i.e. one for Monday, Tuesday, etc.), though it could be adjusted to provide more or less frequency and history. The files produced are as per the standard backup/restore instructions.

@DaveW over on the UK & Ireland forum has also provided a useful guide for automating a backup to google drive which I've followed (with appropriate minor adjustments for using my GCP instance rather than Pi) which will set up an automated backup using rclone and cron. If you follow his instructions there you will end up with a daily backup refreshing each week (i.e. one for Monday, Tuesday, etc.), though it could be adjusted to provide more or less frequency and history. The files produced are as per the standard backup/restore instructions.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I just installed TeslaMate tonight. Getting it up and running in Docker was relatively painless and I even went for a short drive after I got everything running just so I'd have some data to look at.

My first dumb question is this: when I first connected to TeslaMate, the status of my car was "Sleeping". But once I woke it up with the Tesla app on my phone (and then went for a drive), the status has remained "Falling asleep for 28 min". Is that "normal" or should I interpret that TeslaMate is preventing my car from entering sleep mode?

I just installed TeslaMate tonight. Getting it up and running in Docker was relatively painless and I even went for a short drive after I got everything running just so I'd have some data to look at.

My first dumb question is this: when I first connected to TeslaMate, the status of my car was "Sleeping". But once I woke it up with the Tesla app on my phone (and then went for a drive), the status has remained "Falling asleep for 28 min". Is that "normal" or should I interpret that TeslaMate is preventing my car from entering sleep mode?

Yes that's normal. TeslaMate doesn't stop your car from sleeping. After a drive it could take an hour for mine to fall asleep. But if I woke it by opening and closing a door, it'd go back to sleep in 15 minutes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Malaromane
1. Confused. All through out out the night car only sleeps max 30-45 minutes, then is awake for same amount of time..
2. On the Overview dashboard, is the ability to change how often it updates? from 5s to 1d.. how to change this and keep it? if I close that dashboard and go to another, it reverts back to 30sec.