TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

teslamotors.com price decrease - Model X 19" and 20" Winter Sets

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by TimsRunnin, Jul 9, 2016.

1. TimsRunnin

TimsRunnin Member

The 20" helix wheel set dropped from $5500 to $5300, and the 19" cyclone wheel set dropped from $4500 to $2800!

Tesla — Model X

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the cyclone wheels -- anyone have experience with these yet?

I don't really prefer the look of the helix wheels. I've been planning to pickup a winter set for my MX -- I live in NJ, land of potholes, and am sure my Onyx Black 22" set that came with the car won't fare well thru the winter.

2. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

TimsRunnin, here's a factory alternative:

TST 20x9.0" front, 20x10.0" rear running factory tires (256/45-20 front | 275/45-20 rear), accepts factory center cap, factory lug nuts and factory TPMS.

black-model-x-20-inch-tst-matte-black-6.jpg

black-model-x-20-inch-tst-matte-black-2.jpg

black-model-x-20-inch-tst-matte-black-4.jpg

3. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

4. TimsRunnin

TimsRunnin Member

Interesting. Note that the $2800 19" set on teslamotors.com includes both tires and wheels. 4 19" tires (265/50/19) on tirerack are $997.76. So if you discount the value of the tires, the wheels alone net out around $1800.

5. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

Has anyone considered putting the 21" MS wheels? they are staggered at 21 x 8.5 and 9.0 There are a few sets on ebay that are priced under $1500 for the set.

6. Stasla

Stasla Member

The model S section has a $4400 price tag on the 19" cyclones. The rim size and tire sizes are slightly different though.

At new $2800 price for the model X version - it appears to be a good deal for X owners looking to pick these up.

Also the corresponding drop on the Model S cyclones appears to be imminent.

7. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I opted for the helix wheels ($2500 upgrade) on my multi-coat red X90D. They look great in person. Really happy with them. I was actually against spending the money for the upgrade but my wife insisted. I'm glad she did.

8. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

hey tsportline: did you guys paint all the lower moldings black? I've been thinking about painting mine white ( white x). Do you have a before and after shot?

9. TimsRunnin

TimsRunnin Member

Slipstream wheels are now available for $3300:

Tesla — 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package

I went ahead and orders the 19" cyclones on the July 10th. Planning to powder coat them black when they arrive, and put them on in November ahead of the first snow. Will post pics once I get them.

10. TimsRunnin

TimsRunnin Member

I picked up my MX winter tire package today (19" cyclones) at the Springfield NJ service center. The service rep said it was the first MX winter set they've seen. I was wondering how they would fit -- 2 fit in the trunk well, 1 between the seats second row seats on the floor, 1 wedged behind passenger-side 2nd-row seat that was shifted forward (to the point I was warned that the seat wasn't locked).

I like the look of the TSportline set and considered it seriously, but the rep today confirmed they wouldn't service aftermarket wheels. So while it cost more the way I went, I love the look of my 22" Onyx Black wheels, I'm very very happy with that choice. And with these 19" winter wheels the 22" wheels stay protected, and I have no Tesla servicing issues. I'm very curious as to how the 19" will affect my range after I have them put on.

Hopefully this post helpful to someone making wheel decisions for their next MX -- I couldn't find any similar information specifically for the MX when making my decision. I'll post pictures again when I put the winter set on in November, and likely will have them powder coated as well!

Attached Files:

11. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

What servicing issues would you have if you put aftermarket wheels on your car? This baffles me when i continuously read thread after thread.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Tesla SC's won't mount non-OEM tires or onto non-OEM wheels. They will rotate aftermarket wheels, though.

13. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

So if you have a flat, they'll tow you to the tire shop of your choice within 50 miles or something. Whereas last week, I blew 2-21" sidewalls and they delivered matching wheels roadside and had me on my way very quickly. For this reason, I too decided against after markets like @TimsRunnin .

14. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

I guess I'll find out what limitations the SC will do when I go in for service. But it might be a good idea that I keep the OEM wheels intact and just swap them out. Just received my HRE wheels but I wanted to use the OEM tires.

15. Hami05

Hami05 Member

Was thinking about ordering these. Anyone know if Tesla would continue to swap out the 19" cyclone wheels with my 20" slipstream wheels whenever winter starts/ends every year, or do they just do a one time installation when I would pick up the new wheels? Thanks.

16. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

More than likely they would charge you for this after the first time.

17. Hami05

Hami05 Member

Probably no more than $100 each time though right? Or should I just ask at my SvC when I pick up my X tomorrow?

18. BjornsT3SLA

BjornsT3SLA New Member

Tim's running

Wondering if you have pics of the black powder coating on your winter 19"cyclone x set? Looking to do the same thing. Thanks.

19. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

If you're considering a set of wheels for the winter our UP-01's fit the Model X as well.

They are 21", use the OEM TPMS and center caps. They also come with rim protectors so you can avoid curb damage.

They are priced at $4895

IMG_6561.jpg

20. TimsRunnin

TimsRunnin Member

Hey friends,

The 19" cyclone winter set is on - picture attached. I didn't end up getting them powder coated though.

Regarding road noise and bumps/vibrations on the 22" vs. 19" wheels: The first day or two the wheels were on I did notice the ride was a bit smoother, but only a bit. Bumps are still bumps. Its not like the 19" wheels magically make anything go away -- the ride is only a *tiny* bit smoother. For those in the process of making your wheels decision, I would disregard this factor. It's just not a big enough difference to matter.

Regarding the advertised "up to 10% loss in range": Didn't happen. I have teslalog.com logging all my trips and I commute the same way 3-4 times per week. The difference was less than 1/2 of 1%. I'm basically using the same energy to charge my MX with 19" wheels vs when it had 22" wheels.

Summarized, I recommend making your wheel decision based on aesthetic and price. The loss of range and road noise are not big factors based on my direct (though admittedly, non-scientific) comparison.

UnpluggedP: Nice wheels! :) (but I already have 2 sets, so I'm good)

Attached Files: