Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teslamotors.com price decrease - Model X 19" and 20" Winter Sets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 20" helix wheel set dropped from $5500 to $5300, and the 19" cyclone wheel set dropped from $4500 to $2800!

Tesla — Model X

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the cyclone wheels -- anyone have experience with these yet?

I don't really prefer the look of the helix wheels. I've been planning to pickup a winter set for my MX -- I live in NJ, land of potholes, and am sure my Onyx Black 22" set that came with the car won't fare well thru the winter.

Interesting. Note that the $2800 19" set on teslamotors.com includes both tires and wheels. 4 19" tires (265/50/19) on tirerack are $997.76. So if you discount the value of the tires, the wheels alone net out around $1800.

The model S section has a $4400 price tag on the 19" cyclones. The rim size and tire sizes are slightly different though.

At new $2800 price for the model X version - it appears to be a good deal for X owners looking to pick these up.

Also the corresponding drop on the Model S cyclones appears to be imminent.

The 20" helix wheel set dropped from $5500 to $5300, and the 19" cyclone wheel set dropped from $4500 to $2800!

Tesla — Model X

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the cyclone wheels -- anyone have experience with these yet?

I don't really prefer the look of the helix wheels. I've been planning to pickup a winter set for my MX -- I live in NJ, land of potholes, and am sure my Onyx Black 22" set that came with the car won't fare well thru the winter.

I picked up my MX winter tire package today (19" cyclones) at the Springfield NJ service center. The service rep said it was the first MX winter set they've seen. I was wondering how they would fit -- 2 fit in the trunk well, 1 between the seats second row seats on the floor, 1 wedged behind passenger-side 2nd-row seat that was shifted forward (to the point I was warned that the seat wasn't locked).

I like the look of the TSportline set and considered it seriously, but the rep today confirmed they wouldn't service aftermarket wheels. So while it cost more the way I went, I love the look of my 22" Onyx Black wheels, I'm very very happy with that choice. And with these 19" winter wheels the 22" wheels stay protected, and I have no Tesla servicing issues. I'm very curious as to how the 19" will affect my range after I have them put on.

Hopefully this post helpful to someone making wheel decisions for their next MX -- I couldn't find any similar information specifically for the MX when making my decision. I'll post pictures again when I put the winter set on in November, and likely will have them powder coated as well!

Attachments

• IMG_20160826_164601.jpg
    IMG_20160826_164601.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20160826_165859.jpg
    IMG_20160826_165859.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20160826_170051.jpg
    IMG_20160826_170051.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20160826_170828.jpg
    IMG_20160826_170828.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 127
What servicing issues would you have if you put aftermarket wheels on your car? This baffles me when i continuously read thread after thread.
So if you have a flat, they'll tow you to the tire shop of your choice within 50 miles or something. Whereas last week, I blew 2-21" sidewalls and they delivered matching wheels roadside and had me on my way very quickly. For this reason, I too decided against after markets like @TimsRunnin .

Was thinking about ordering these. Anyone know if Tesla would continue to swap out the 19" cyclone wheels with my 20" slipstream wheels whenever winter starts/ends every year, or do they just do a one time installation when I would pick up the new wheels? Thanks.

Hey friends,

The 19" cyclone winter set is on - picture attached. I didn't end up getting them powder coated though.

Regarding road noise and bumps/vibrations on the 22" vs. 19" wheels: The first day or two the wheels were on I did notice the ride was a bit smoother, but only a bit. Bumps are still bumps. Its not like the 19" wheels magically make anything go away -- the ride is only a *tiny* bit smoother. For those in the process of making your wheels decision, I would disregard this factor. It's just not a big enough difference to matter.

Regarding the advertised "up to 10% loss in range": Didn't happen. I have teslalog.com logging all my trips and I commute the same way 3-4 times per week. The difference was less than 1/2 of 1%. I'm basically using the same energy to charge my MX with 19" wheels vs when it had 22" wheels.

Summarized, I recommend making your wheel decision based on aesthetic and price. The loss of range and road noise are not big factors based on my direct (though admittedly, non-scientific) comparison.

UnpluggedP: Nice wheels! :) (but I already have 2 sets, so I'm good)

Attachments

• IMG_20161116_193835.jpg
    IMG_20161116_193835.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 78