TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

teslamotorsclub.com vs Tesla Motors Forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gameboy, Aug 3, 2013.

1. gameboy

gameboy Member

Hi! What's the difference between posting here and posting on teslamotors.com/forum? Just wondering if I should post on one site or both sites. Thanks.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Teslamotors.com is owned and run by the company themselves.
    TMC or Tesla Motors Club (this site) is independently owned and run by hard working volunteers and many others (a lot of behind the scene work goes into the site of course so they have a less public face).

3. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

I prefer this site. Better moderation more factual than 'rah..rah'. Just my two cents.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

TMC is functionally far better than the TM site....if you're used to forums, then you'll be far happier on TMC. I had all kinds of issues logging into the TM site, so I never visit it any more, if there's anything of interest over there, so done will normally post a link here on TMC :)

5. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

This site has much more traffic, and the posts easily include videos, pictures etc, plus can be accessed using mobile apps like tapatalk.

I also think the teslamotors.com forum seems to have much more bickering, and a much lower signal to noise ratio than this site.

That being said, on occasion you see stuff posted there that hasn't shown here yet (for example, I cross posted the Norweigan park sensor video after seeing the creator posting it on the other site and hadn't seen it here).

6. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Another thing to consider is that Tesla routinely deletes posts and threads that they don't like.

As far as I'm concerned TMC is just dramatically better in all respects.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The only reason I needed for moving was edtiing.

After moving, there's a whole pile of "ooh so much better, glad I moved" benefits.

8. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Tesla Motors Forums is a starting point for shoppers and new owners. Once they get their feet wet and start looking for more technical or details answers to their questions they are guided towards TMC or they find their way on their own.

Tesla Motors Forums are unmoderated. Threads are not organized and complete. Threads disappear there because users flag them. Some are pro-Tesla, some are not. Tesla Motors is trolled more frequently because there is no moderation.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They don't really disappear, you just have to login to see them. I only look at the local threads, just not enough time to read TMC and TC both. I don't even read all of TMC.

10. lorih

lorih Member

I stopped reading the Tesla motors forum. It seems to have a lot of "Tesla Haters", and people misinformed about the company. (lot's of comments about how Tesla would not survive without their hard earned tax dollars). This site seems to be made of people who are more 'in the know'. They are long time owners or long time fans that read everything and talk to everyone to be best informed.

The TMC forum is moderated so there isn't name calling or abuse, and humor is very welcome. I feel like TMC is a community of like minded folks sharing their passions, while the Tesla Motors Forum is kinda like reading something on the web and then looking at the comments below, random uniformed "let me put my two cents in here" kind of stuff.

Sorry, this is sounding harsher than I mean it to be. Please take this with a grain of salt, I didn't give Tesla Motors Forum much more than a few tries, but once I found TMC, I found I spent more and more time here.

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Tesla who? :confused:

12. lorih

lorih Member

My post said: "The TMC forum is moderated so there isn't name calling or abuse, and humor is very welcome."...TMC being Tesla Motors Club which I was contrasting to Tesla Motors

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Uh, Lori....
    ....that was my soggy-bottomed attempt at humor....I promise to try harder.

:redface:

14. lorih

lorih Member

Well at least your apology made me laugh. Soggy-bottomed?!?

:biggrin:

15. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

I think you might be confusing posts that users flag as "inappropriate" with the owner/buyer threads that are locked at Tesla Motors forums.
    If a post or thread gets a certain number of flags it is automatically deleted. Unfortunately, some really good threads turned into vapor. I haven't seen it happen to the locked threads.

16. liuping

liuping Active Member

#16 liuping, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    There is really no reason to use the Tesla Motors Forum. TMC is the place to be. It has much more traffic, better/faster answers to your questions, civil conversations and good moderators.

17. lorih

lorih Member

+1
    :biggrin:

18. JPP

JPP Active Member

...especially today, with the crippled TM site/forum... :)

19. chrisdl

chrisdl Member

It's not so much the trolls on Tesla Motors, as it is the relentless troll hunters and fanboys who see ghosts and trolls where there are none. That creates a rather tense atmosphere, which I don't appreciate too much.

TMC is a much friendlier place.

20. MarkR

MarkR Member

The biggest difference that I've seen is that TMC has a broader array of content. i'm also impressed that the people who post here often have a depth of knowlege that is quite stunning.