Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMS tools for telemetry data visualization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, that's what I was suggesting. The "too many streaming requests" means that TeslaMS made a request to Tesla's servers, and the long poll returned too quickly. When you make the request to the streaming server, it's supposed to be a long poll for ~2 minutes. When the request returns, TeslaMS starts a new one. If the streaming server returns too quickly on a repeated basis, TeslaMS stops sending requests so that it isn't pounding Tesla's servers.

It could be that the car wasn't connected to Tesla's servers and is unavailable - I've seen that happen; it could also be because of some type of outage on Tesla's servers. Either way, there wasn't a connection there.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I have the occasional holes in my data too. :)
Thanks for the explanation. Makes a lot more sense now. Still a bit odd that there was one error on the drive one way, and a few hours later a different (but possibly related) error for the drive home.

I'm also still debating the sleep mode, as I drive the car relatively infrequently (I don't commute), I really like the idea of saving anything I can on the vampire draw (which can easily use more power per week than actual driving!!) but at the same time, I really like my data, and missing some while I wait for the car is annoying. I'm also not certain how much I'm actually "saving" in sleep mode, seems to me that I lose about 10-12km/24 hours with sleep mode on, running a constant 75-90w draw is an awful lot for a powered down device!

Thanks for the explanation. Makes a lot more sense now. Still a bit odd that there was one error on the drive one way, and a few hours later a different (but possibly related) error for the drive home.

I'm also still debating the sleep mode, as I drive the car relatively infrequently (I don't commute), I really like the idea of saving anything I can on the vampire draw (which can easily use more power per week than actual driving!!) but at the same time, I really like my data, and missing some while I wait for the car is annoying. I'm also not certain how much I'm actually "saving" in sleep mode, seems to me that I lose about 10-12km/24 hours with sleep mode on, running a constant 75-90w draw is an awful lot for a powered down device!
I agree with you... You don't lose much data, and saving that 5 miles per day is a good thing.

I am pretty sure that sleep mode will not work unless you uncheck the "always connected" option in the car energy settings. I did a bit of checking while I was traveling and if the car is always online there is no way for the streaming app to know if the car is asleep or awake. It just keeps trying to nap for 30 minutes over and over until you eventually start driving again. Unfortunately there is no other way to do this so I'm just trying to do the best with what information is available.

I am pretty sure that sleep mode will not work unless you uncheck the "always connected" option in the car energy settings. I did a bit of checking while I was traveling and if the car is always online there is no way for the streaming app to know if the car is asleep or awake. It just keeps trying to nap for 30 minutes over and over until you eventually start driving again. Unfortunately there is no other way to do this so I'm just trying to do the best with what information is available.

Right. If you have "always connected" checked, you need to remove "-z" from the options.

I'm not sure that's the case. I would have believed you a week ago as I had never seen anything to indicate the car ever slept, but this week has been different, and it seems to sleep sometimes. That said, I did uncheck always connected yesterday to see if I can save some more power, but I may regret it as the horrific lag to do something simple like turn on climate control from the app is painful. There really needs to be a "click and forget" mode where you tell it to turn on climate control, and it handles the communication, waking, waiting, etc stuff in the background without you needing to stare at the screen!

I'm not sure that's the case. I would have believed you a week ago as I had never seen anything to indicate the car ever slept, but this week has been different, and it seems to sleep sometimes. That said, I did uncheck always connected yesterday to see if I can save some more power, but I may regret it as the horrific lag to do something simple like turn on climate control from the app is painful. There really needs to be a "click and forget" mode where you tell it to turn on climate control, and it handles the communication, waking, waiting, etc stuff in the background without you needing to stare at the screen!

I am working on a web based app that would let you do just that but it's slow going due to real work that keeps getting the way. I struggled with the shifting sleep mode parameters from Tesla and eventually just learned to live with some vampire drain and left my car with always connected and energy saving mode off. My car charges for most of the night anyway so it doesn't lose that much sleep and I can't stand the lag in the mobile app or when getting into a sleeping car so I've just learned to live with it.

I am working on a web based app that would let you do just that but it's slow going due to real work that keeps getting the way. I struggled with the shifting sleep mode parameters from Tesla and eventually just learned to live with some vampire drain and left my car with always connected and energy saving mode off. My car charges for most of the night anyway so it doesn't lose that much sleep and I can't stand the lag in the mobile app or when getting into a sleeping car so I've just learned to live with it.
For me it's just painful to watch the vampire use more total energy than my driving does! (I don't commute...) So I have to do something. The web app would still be useful though even with all power saving disabled, because the stock Tesla app for android is horrible, I'm sick of force closing it every time I use it, and then waiting forever for it to load again.

EDIT: just FYI, with power saving on, and always connected on, I was losing 10-12km of range every 24 hours. Now with power saving on, and always connected off, I'm only losing 5-6km of range every 24 hours. those are at rated range, which I believe is about 180wh/km, so I've gone from about 2kwh of loss down to only 1kwh of loss. It still seems like a lot for a car that's "off" though, I switch incandescent bulbs to LED and only save about 50watts, and only for an hour or two a day that they're on, meanwhile my car draws more than that 24x7x365 when I'm not even using it!

Last edited:
Has somebody ever tried to use teslams as an aws lambda app ? I do read that lambda can now run node.js code and I thought that this would be cool to have a serverless environment everything running from teslams basically as a PAAS.

I assume that the code also has to be changed to integrate in to dynamodb ? As mongo as a noSQL DB is used I thought that it maybe also could run with dynamodb ? I'm still learning all that aws stuff, so please bear with me if I haven't got that right.

FYI, I've added teslams to the FreeBSD Ports Collection (self-servingly, it makes it easier for me to maintain on the FreeBSD VM that I'm using for data collection).

FreshPorts -- misc/teslams

Comments welcomed, I guess posting in this thread would be appropriate or send me a PM or email at my FreeBSD.org email address.

Thanks to the teslams developers!

Has somebody ever tried to use teslams as an aws lambda app ? I do read that lambda can now run node.js code and I thought that this would be cool to have a serverless environment everything running from teslams basically as a PAAS.

I assume that the code also has to be changed to integrate in to dynamodb ? As mongo as a noSQL DB is used I thought that it maybe also could run with dynamodb ? I'm still learning all that aws stuff, so please bear with me if I haven't got that right.

I added support for AWS IOT output from streaming.js and I have already modified the streaming.js code to support DynamoDB. Visualize however does not support DynamoDB so if that's what you are looking for them I need a bit of help to make that happen. I have AWS lambda working now processing streaming data published over MQTT into AWS. You wouldn't want to run the entire teslams codebase in Lambda because it restarts the code for every incoming event and shuts it down after. Better to just run your alerting rules in Lambda and the rest of the teslams code in EC2 or somewhere else.

I have has the entire system running in the Heroku PaaS using Mlabs (formerly MongoLabs) to host the mongodb database.

For some reason teslams is not seeing my config.json file.

This is on an Rpi3 running Raspbian Jessie. My regular user is wayne and I have created the config.json file with the username and password in /home/wayne/.teslams directory.

When I try to run a command from the bash prompt as in "teslacmd -c" it says missing required arguments u,p.

If I specify the username and password it works properly as parameters. Am I doing something wrong?

For some reason teslams is not seeing my config.json file.

This is on an Rpi3 running Raspbian Jessie. My regular user is wayne and I have created the config.json file with the username and password in /home/wayne/.teslams directory.

When I try to run a command from the bash prompt as in "teslacmd -c" it says missing required arguments u,p.

If I specify the username and password it works properly as parameters. Am I doing something wrong?

Seems strange. This should work. I run teslams on a RPi2 running Raspian Jessie.

Check that the config.json is valid json and that you haven't missed a comma, bracket, or quotation mark.

{
"username": "[email protected]",
"password": "blahblahblah"
}

You might also want to make sure that the file is permissioned to be readable, is owned by you, and is visible as "~/.teslams/config.json"

I added in support for using tokens in place of username and password. Published new release to npm as version 1.2.2.

You can now add --token abc123abc123 to your command line arguments (like teslacmd) or you can setup your ~/.teslams/config.json to have a token rather than a username and password like this:

{
"token": "abc123abc123abc123abc123abc123abc123abc123abc123"
}

Is this still being supported?

I just did another npm publish (version 1.3.0) and validated that everything is working. If you run `teslacmd --version` you will see which version you are running. You will need 1.3.0 to get around the latest changes Tesla has made to block third party apps. I try my best to keep this project up to date. As with all Open Source the project lives or dies based on the contributions of the community. I do my best to be a major contributor since I first published the code but I also have a day job and a family that requires a lot of my time. I have looked at all outstanding PRs on Github and merged the ones I think are needed and add value.

Reactions: Stream