Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaOffer Rocks (long post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those Tesla owners considering products from TeslaOffer I thought it might be helpful to describe my recent experiences with the company, its customer service, and its products.

I’ve bought and installed the following TeslaOffer products for my Model 3:

Electric frunk
Electric Tailgate
Auto present door handles
Model S Lighted Applique

I’ll start with the latter, which is at the heart of the reasons I’m so pleased with TeslaOffer.

Here's a video of the lighted applique in operation on a Model S.

It does the same things on my Model 3.

As the developer, along with several other Tesla aficionados, of the lighted rear applique for the Model S, I’m very familiar with the technical and installation problems of this innovation. To make a very long story short, this product, as it was originally conceived, went through a long series of modifications and innovations over a half a decade. Before TeslaOffer developed its own version, the final iteration of this product involved installation of a printed circuit board that provided light for the TESLA letters on the applique, separate 3D printed TESLA letters that fit into the letter openings on the applique, a controller that sent all of the signals for the colors and special effects of the lighted letters, an a PIA wiring scheme that required wiring connections to the turn signals, reverse lights, license plate lamp, and 12v power and ground. In short, it was a difficult installation, with a multitude of challenges that could and often did result in mistakes. Worse yet, the light boards often proved prone to failure, probably as a result of their inadequate waterproofing, exposure to the elements, and/or faulty installation.

I had one installed on my Model S and helped with many other installations both Model S and X. When I bought my Model 3 one of my first goals was to install a lighted rear applique on my Model 3, which had no rear applique at all. So I experimented and determined that with some modifications, the Model S lighted rear applique could be installed on the Model 3. I posted this thread about it on TMC. But installation involved all of the same challenges that were posed by installation on the Model S.

Then came TeslaOffer’s version. In fact, Raymond Wu, a principal at TeslaOffer, had ordered about a dozen of the of the old versions for the Model S. Frustrated with the installation problems and the failure rate of the light boards (for which there was no warranty) he decided to develop his own versions for Model S and X.

The TeslaOffer version solves many of the problems of the previous version that I helped develop. First, as it takes all of the signals from the CAN bus via a CAN decoder, it radically reduces the need for complicated wiring. Second, as the TESLA letters and lightboard are combined in a single waterproof unit which installs easily into the OEM rear applique, installation and reliability is further simplified. Third, the lightboard has a lifetime warranty. In short, it’s a vast improvement in every way possible.

Here's a photo of the can connections (in the drivers's footwell). This connection is to Can H and L. Two other connections are made to 12v and ground, and one long cable is run to the rear of the car, threaded through the rubber the between the car body and trunk lid, where it connects to the controller.

View attachment 558566

Having discovered that TeslaOffer developed this product, I ordered one immediately for installation on my Model 3. Problem is that TeslaOffer hadn’t yet developed a version for the Model 3.

And thus begins the second part of my story: TeslaOffers incredible customer service.

When Raymond saw my order for the lighted rear applique for Model S, he texted me to let me know that there was no Model 3 version. But then he let me know that he would be happy to develop a CAN decoder that would decode all of the appropriate can bus signals for Model 3 (which are different from S and X).

Then, to provide further help, he provided on WhatsAPP the following two videos:

Two weeks later, the entire package of parts arrived from Hong Kong for installation on my Model 3. In the meantime, I had prepared an old applique for my Model S for installation of TeslaOffer’s new version on my Model 3.

Then came the installation, and that experience requires additional praise for Raymond and TeslaOffer. I drove to New Jersey to work on the installation with Bill Polera, a longtime Tesla friend, who had a lighted applique installed on his Model S and had assisted with a number of installations we did for others. Bill also knows Tesla’s inside out.

During the installation, we mistakenly attached the Can bus decoder to the wrong leads. Of course, the applique didn’t work. Little did we know that the voltage output of the wrong leads was 3 times what the proper connection to Can h and l would have put out. In short, we fried the decoder, but didn’t know it. That mistake was made at around 2pm EST on a Saturday, which was 2am in Hong Kong. On hope, I texted Raymond, but assumed that he wouldn’t reply until the morning in Hong Kong. Much to my surprise, he responded almost immediately. Over the next hour we exchanged via WhatsApp about a dozen message and photos trying to determine the problem. Finally, Raymond determined that we fried the decoder by connecting it to the wrong leads. The following Monday he shipped me a replacement decoder. In the meantime, following Raymond’s texted instructions and photos, I correctly wired the can h and l connections and the power and ground sources.

In only 3 working days the new CAN decoder arrived from Hong Kong. I installed it immediately and it worked right out of the box. My car was plugged in for charging at a designated time, and when the charging started at the applique started flashing green. When it was unplugged the applique resumed all of its normal functions.

Raymond has developed a Bluetooth app for Android called Teslastrip that enables one to control the settings for the applique. I set it to maximum brightness and it can be seen clearly in bright sunlight. My guess is that it’s 3 times as bright as the version I was using before.

I’ve had the same experience with all of the other TeslaOffer product I’ve installed on my Model 3. Run into a problem with installation? Raymond is almost immediately available via WhatsApp for a call or text. In short, the customer service is the best I’ve experienced and the quality of the products, in my experience, also among the best.

First, as it takes all of the signals from the CAN bus via a CAN decoder, it radically reduces the need for complicated wiring.

Does TeslaOffer anticipate problems with this approach when v11 software is available for the car? Rumors are that v11 fully encrypts the traffic on the CAN busses. If this is true, it will break the interface to the applique.

@artsci, Interesting lighted applique. How does it mount to the Tesla applique? From the pictures and demo, it sort of looks like a plastic light strip that glues over the outside of the existing OEM strip. Is that pretty much it?

Looked for the Teslastrip app on Playstore. nothing found.

Can you send me a copy of the installation instructions so I can review them before I buy it?

On his order page it has an option to select "Parking Special Effect". ?? Does this mean we can only have one permanent special effect and can't switch to a different one?

The picture for the CAN Bus connection does not work.

And there are two other threads that don't work.

I have the TeslaOffer v2.5 trunk installed and the frunk kit is on the way. Totally agree that they are very service oriented and responsive, not to mention the excellent product. I was happy that the kit was very dialed-in and didn't require any wire cutting or splicing or tapping.

I was interested in the hand free trunk opener for the S and the lighted rear applique. But there's no video or instructions for either one to install it. So, I played along, installed Whatsapp just to inquiry for instructions. After a couple of days they replied and told me to use the Model 3 instructions. Ah, no, I don't think so. Thanks anyway. They "offer" a product and don't have adequate instructions to install it? Sorry, I don't see that as great service.

Reactions: austinmichaeld
I was interested in the hand free trunk opener for the S and the lighted rear applique. But there's no video or instructions for either one to install it. So, I played along, installed Whatsapp just to inquiry for instructions. After a couple of days they replied and told me to use the Model 3 instructions. Ah, no, I don't think so. Thanks anyway. They "offer" a product and don't have adequate instructions to install it? Sorry, I don't see that as great service.
We have one of the original lighted appliques that @artsci mentioned in the OP above. We ran into the "inadequate waterproofing" issue so we're looking forward to swapping it out for this one!

We have one of the original lighted appliques that @artsci mentioned in the OP above. We ran into the "inadequate waterproofing" issue so we're looking forward to swapping it out for this one!
@MorrisonHiker, Me too. I have the second MC Red one made - after artsci's red of course. Mine still works. And I have loved it.

I also asked the Teslaoffer folks some questions regarding their lighted applique and got zero answers. It appears from the ordering page you have a choice and must decide on one of eleven effects for when its idle or default. Seems we can't pick different effects as we wish. You get the same explanation?

Also, I can't tell from product information if its a plastic panel that attaches over the top of an existing OEM applique or if its a complete replacement applique like artsci's version. The pictures and explanation don't lend to understanding. You? Did you figure that out?

I asked them via Whatsapp and reply email, they didn't answer. Great service.

Me too. I have the second MC Red one made - after artsci's red of course. Mine still works.

I also asked the Teslaoffer folks some questions regarding their lighted applique and got zero answers. It appears from the ordering page you have a choice and must decide on one of eleven effects for when its idle or default. Seems we can't pick different effects as we wish. You get the same explanation?

I'm not 100% certain yet but if I understand correctly, you can have it preconfigured with one and don't need to use an app. If you do use their app, you'll be able to change the setting via Bluetooth. We'll know for sure once we swap ours out!

@MorrisonHiker, please post some pictures that answer my questions when you get yours. Did you also get the impression its a outside attached plastic/nylon overlay on top of the existing OEM applique?
I'll definitely post pictures. I had the impression that it is similar to the 2nd gen lighted applique. If so, it would use the original Tesla chrome but the TESLA letters are a second piece that can be popped out IIRC. You then put the lighted applique behind the chrome Tesla piece.

Reactions: Akikiki
@MorrisonHiker, Me too. I have the second MC Red one made - after artsci's red of course. Mine still works. And I have loved it.

Also, I can't tell from product information if its a plastic panel that attaches over the top of an existing OEM applique or if its a complete replacement applique like artsci's version. The pictures and explanation don't lend to understanding. You? Did you figure that out?

Hi,

Our applique system is a light board attached to the existing OEM applique. We will add product picture soon on the site. We do respond faster on WhatsApp, but due to time difference sometimes it might take a few hours before we can get back to you.

Thank you

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'll definitely post pictures. I had the impression that it is similar to the 2nd gen lighted applique. If so, it would use the original Tesla chrome but the TESLA letters are a second piece that can be popped out IIRC. You then put the lighted applique behind the chrome Tesla piece.

Here's the light board we have

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-12 at 1.01.24 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-12 at 1.01.24 AM.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker