Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslarati : "California passes law banning Tesla from calling software FSD"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will rename it "Future Self Driving" and make it more explicit (it's already pretty explicit) that the functionality you get with this name is not available at present, but you'll get it when it becomes available. I don't think the law prohibits selling a self-driving package for the future, it just says you can't call a package self-driving when it's not. But a future self-driving package is a self-driving package, in the future, if they make it work.

Probably wise to reinforce the name for what you do get today, which they have called "autosteer on city streets" And thus say, "When you buy FSD you get:"

1. Enhanced Autopilot driver assist system
  2. Option to enable early release of autosteer on city streets
  3. Future self driving, if and when it ships.
This might pass the law, though they could say that you can't call it FSD if it includes any ADAS, in which case they would need to call it the "Enhanced AP, City Autopilot and Future FSD package"

Unlike the "right" coast ... ;)

Before this becomes too political, I think we should end the right left east west banter here.

FSDb’s current state does not warrant a name of Full Self Driving, because it simply isn’t. The only reason it could get away with it is because it’s marked as “beta”.

Critical race theory and socio-emotional charged topics should not be discussed in math books. Math is mostly objective, and that’s all it should be.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
While I also believe that FSD beta is the beta version of FSD, Tesla claims it is not.
Testing beta versions of full self-driving (i.e. driverless) systems is legal in California (e.g. Waymo, Cruise, and a dozen others

I agree, but whether or not Tesla claims FSD beta is “the beta version” of FSD, it can be seen that they still don’t sell any software nor label any feature as FSD, especially if one were to claim they didn’t without “distinct notice” and “clearly describes the functions and limitations of the feature“. We, as a society, are not very good at RTFM. Whether or not Tesla is found liable for how the public has diverged in the use of the term FSD from Tesla’s official website verbiage and use of that term (or in this case lack thereof), is again up to the courts.

The law doesn't have anything to do with the actual words "Full Self Driving", it states that the name of ADAS systems cannot be misleading, and they have determined that using the terms full self driving are in fact misleading.
So what parts of their website/ADAS features will need to be changed? FSD Capability package? Where/what else? Maybe screenshots would help? I’m having trouble finding much that would need to be changed, if any at all.

Before this becomes too political, I think we should end the right left east west banter here.

FSDb’s current state does not warrant a name of Full Self Driving, because it simply isn’t. The only reason it could get away with it is because it’s marked as “beta”.

Critical race theory and socio-emotional charged topics should not be discussed in math books. Math is mostly objective, and that’s all it should be.
The irony is that FSDb is far more advanced than plain vanilla FSD

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The irony is that FSDb is far more advanced than plain vanilla FSD
Not really your own fault, but this confusion is what I’m talking about. There is no “plain vanilla FSD” and Tesla never marketed any such thing. Group think took this on and spread it, resulting in a law that doesn’t even really apply to Tesla. There’s hardly anything they’ll need to change other than maybe how Elon tweets? Although even his tweets don’t fall under the new law unless we now require accuracy when predicting the future (we haven’t required that of others before).

All Tesla has to do is separate FSD from Full Self Driving by claiming that in California FSD stands for Fundamentally Saves Driving (or Fred Smith’s Dream). They can’t ban three letters of the alphabet just because it might mean something different in the other 49 states

All Tesla has to do is separate FSD from Full Self Driving by claiming that in California FSD stands for Fundamentally Saves Driving (or Fred Smith’s Dream). They can’t ban three letters of the alphabet just because it might mean something different in the 49 states
Maybe show a screenshot of where Tesla would implement this change. I don’t think you’ll find any material change necessary. Maybe the FSD Capability package which is a group of separately named features and software? But there isn’t any software or feature called FSD or “Full Self Driving” on their website.

• Informative
I don’t know about the rest of the world but here we have a tv commercial from Audi for a car that doesn’t exist, and might not be legal if it did exist. Having three letters that can be open to interpretation seems a minor transgression in comparison

• Informative
This might pass the law, though they could say that you can't call it FSD if it includes any ADAS, in which case they would need to call it the "Enhanced AP, City Autopilot and Future FSD package"
The problem is, as written, the law is quite broad. How would one know what is ok unless it is tested in court ?

I personally think co-pilot is the most accurate .... but will be difficult to distinguish between various features now called AP, EAP ...

I'm thinking if he's forced to rename it, it will have some reference to 420 and/or 69 in it. Because that shows that you are hip with the cool crowd in 2022/2023. Because 420 represents weed and 69 represents a sexual position. Get it? Its so hip!
Elon is still trying to be accepted into the crowd that used to bully him in highschool ...

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex and DrGriz
And perhaps the most important point: Tesla can answer this thread’s title with, “okay, we haven’t called any of our features FSD, so we’re good!” That’s why the public use of terms matters and how it’s diverged from Tesla’s use. Go back through Archive.org caches of the website and there isn’t any software Tesla has sold to customers called “FSD” or “Full Self Driving”
literally on the current website
Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 13.17.11.png

• Funny
Reactions: Dewg