Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslarati pulls a "Broder:" Does L2 charging even exist for Tesla drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got you beat. When taking part in the reach the beach event earlier this year, I was heading up to New York from Maryland and ran out in New Jersey literally approximately 50 feet from the supercharger. I was able to just have everyone in the car push the car to the charging station but it did suck. Ran out one other time about a quarter mile short of the supercharger going from Phoenix to Los Angeles. I've kind of learned my lesson hour or so I hope, as I was one of those guys that used to run out of gas all the time because I didn't want to stop and fill up. Truth is there really is no excuse to run out anymore, we just need to realize there is a speed and I believe it was 77 mph that if you exceed that speed you're actually burning up more power faster than you can replace it at the supercharger. I would love to get those numbers nail down, at exactly what point in charging are you spending more time charging then you are driving?

I know that before the supercharger was put in between LA and Quartzsite, you could make it from Hawthorne to Quartzsite if you drove 55 mph to 60 mph in about the same time as it would take you to charge up with a high-power wall connector in Palm Springs.

I drove from Winslow AZ to Flagstaff supercharges and *could have* experienced the same as this. I started with 125% of the trip distance as Rated range. All was good at 75 MPH posted speed (maintaining my 40 mile reserve) for the first 2/3 of the trip, then the long climb up to 5,000' began and my reserve started to "get used up". When It hit 28 I decided I had to take charge (pun) and do something RIGHT NOW!

So I bit the bullet and moved into the right lane and climbed the hills and the last 45 minutes of driving at 55 MPH (slowing to 50 in the really steep sections). I could see my reserve stabilize at 20 miles. Pulled into Flagstaff with 18 miles remaining.

Do the math folks. Consider that arriving with zero is unacceptable, let alone driving past that point. If you need to conserve energy do it early in the trip where it can make the difference.