Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

@TeslaRoadTrip 2014 (Feb 15-17, 2014) - Dinner Event Signup & Details Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember that Congress is going to be back home in their districts on that 3-day weekend. But many of their staff will be around and you could offer them rides.

Another site for group display would be up at the Vietnam War Memorial, just across from the National Academies of Science and the Einstein statue. Might take an event permit to get parallel parking spaces roped off.

It's not "way out," (about 25 miles from Arlington) and provided the right route is designed (say increasing the distance to 35 or 40 miles) it can be a really nice drive. I agree that it's not a place to make a statement, however every event doesn't have to be about making a statement.

On the food front, I have to say that my all time favorite restaurant in DC is Obelisk … though it might be a little pricey for some and it's closed on Sunday/Monday.

25 miles doesn't seem far but to those that live in Maryland it is. Traffic around the beltway can make this 25 mile trip close to an hour. It's a pain in the ass to get out there with traffic. If you are already in Virginia, no problem. Coming from the north is a different story.

Also, Obelisk is a very good restaurant but I don't think "suckling pig for 2" is going to appeal to many people. Likewise, I'm not sure why people would travel a great distance to eat at a place like the Burger Joint or Lebanese Taverna which are basically fast food in this area. I entertain clients regularly in the area and have been to most DC area restaurants. There are very few which are consistently good and representative of DC--Old Ebbitt Grill, Lincoln, Teddy and the Bully Bar, Blue Duck Tavern, Wolfgang Puck's 'The Source', etc. if you are coming a long distance, my suggestion would be to try something decent rather than a chain place like McCormick and Schmick. You will be surprised at how great some DC places are. If you want to stay in Virginia, The Carlyle restaurant in Shirlington is really good and not expensive.

25 miles doesn't seem far but to those that live in Maryland it is. Traffic around the beltway can make this 25 mile trip close to an hour. It's a pain in the ass to get out there with traffic. If you are already in Virginia, no problem. Coming from the north is a different story.

As a data point: I live in Ashburn (a few minutes from the Dulles Air & Space Museum), and work in Rockville, MD (in your neck of the woods near Silver Spring). I've had to drive that route numerous times on a Sunday (data center maintenance). It typically only takes 40 minutes or so as there is no commute traffic.

if you are coming a long distance, my suggestion would be to try something decent rather than a chain place like McCormick and Schmick.

I don't necessarily disagree, which is why I recommended Clyde's only a short drive from the Museum. I listed the restaurants at the mall earlier since somebody asked about possible paces to eat if stopped there to charge. I likely won't be able to make it, so am just passing on info.

Also, Obelisk is a very good restaurant but I don't think "suckling pig for 2" is going to appeal to many people. Likewise, I'm not sure why people would travel a great distance to eat at a place like the Burger Joint or Lebanese Taverna which are basically fast food in this area. I entertain clients regularly in the area and have been to most DC area restaurants. There are very few which are consistently good and representative of DC--Old Ebbitt Grill, Lincoln, Teddy and the Bully Bar, Blue Duck Tavern, Wolfgang Puck's 'The Source', etc. if you are coming a long distance, my suggestion would be to try something decent rather than a chain place like McCormick and Schmick. You will be surprised at how great some DC places are. If you want to stay in Virginia, The Carlyle restaurant in Shirlington is really good and not expensive.

Old Ebbitt and Clydes are chains, too--in fact, they're part of the same chain. They're not bad, but I wouldn't travel a long distance for either.

My suggestions were mostly oriented around ease of parking for a big group of cars. Very few restaurants in the District fit that criteria. I agree, though, that if you are looking for food worth traveling for none of the restaurants at Tyson's fit the bill. If you are looking for good food that isn't expensive, in addition to those your list, I'd add Founding Farmers and Lyon Hall in North Arlington. But, again, neither of those are really places you can park a big group of cars.

Last edited:

I frequently drive between MD and VA during the week. During rush hour it can be bad as you said. On the weekend, however, it takes me 12 min to get between Rockville and Tyson's corner.

All -

Love the dialog about places to eat - thanks so much and it will be nice to check them out when I'm there next weekend.

Remember that we can also carpool to meals as well - and that give others a chance to charge their cars... That can potentially greatly reduce the number of cars....

Aaron

This is looking good. A few more thoughts though not much new:

In Tysons Brio has rooms that can be reserved, I don't believe there is a charge, but they want a count and a point of contact of course. Mid-price italian chain.

The Flemings and Capital Grille are higher end and pricier. I know Flemings has rooms but may charge.

Brio and Flemings are fav's of ours.

And Saturday night is going to be very busy at all Tysons hot spots.

In Tysons there are a lot of restaurants as listed including a food court. If the group stays loose then people can spread out and re-meet.

The Dulles Air and Space will set up directed group tours and even group IMAX movies, But I wonder if thats what we want. People might enjoy wandering around the place without a schedule and then schedule meet ups. There is a McD's inside but other food is a drive. If you have not been there it is amazing, large and interesting, a tower also that I have not been in yet, you may want to allocate a fair chunk of time and kids may be impressed also.

This is looking good. A few more thoughts though not much new:

In Tysons Brio has rooms that can be reserved, I don't believe there is a charge, but they want a count and a point of contact of course. Mid-price italian chain.

The Flemings and Capital Grille are higher end and pricier. I know Flemings has rooms but may charge.

Brio and Flemings are fav's of ours.

And Saturday night is going to be very busy at all Tysons hot spots.

In Tysons there are a lot of restaurants as listed including a food court. If the group stays loose then people can spread out and re-meet.

The Dulles Air and Space will set up directed group tours and even group IMAX movies, But I wonder if thats what we want. People might enjoy wandering around the place without a schedule and then schedule meet ups. There is a McD's inside but other food is a drive. If you have not been there it is amazing, large and interesting, a tower also that I have not been in yet, you may want to allocate a fair chunk of time and kids may be impressed also.

The tower is cool. You can see planes landing at Dulles from the tower fairly close. It's worth it to see.

Another restaurant suggestion would be Sweetwater Tavern off of 50 in Fairfax. It's a good sized place with a big parking lot. Great food including "Ozzie rolls" which are little fried doughnut type breads that they serve when you sit down. If we got to a place by around 5:30 or so we would beat the crowds and should have plenty of parking.

John

The tower is cool. You can see planes landing at Dulles from the tower fairly close. It's worth it to see.

Another restaurant suggestion would be Sweetwater Tavern off of 50 in Fairfax. It's a good sized place with a big parking lot. Great food including "Ozzie rolls" which are little fried doughnut type breads that they serve when you sit down. If we got to a place by around 5:30 or so we would beat the crowds and should have plenty of parking.

John

This looks good! good reviews on yelp - timing might be ideal - and on the way back from Dulles!

Aaron

This looks good! good reviews on yelp - timing might be ideal - and on the way back from Dulles!

Aaron

+1 it is a good idea. I have eaten there many times and food was always very good. Sweetwater is part of "Great American Restaurant Group" I would also suggest starting a dialogue with the Management:

1. To reserve seats;
2. To block off some parking for us; and
3. Post an announcement about our event, in the restaurant and also their website

I can make a cold call.

Your thoughts please, everyone.

+1 it is a good idea. I have eaten there many times and food was always very good. Sweetwater is part of "Great American Restaurant Group" I would also suggest starting a dialogue with the Management:

1. To reserve seats;
2. To block off some parking for us; and
3. Post an announcement about our event, in the restaurant and also their website

I can make a cold call.

Your thoughts please, everyone.

There's one in Sterling, VA as well... about 15 minutes from the Air & Space museum. It also has easy access back to the highway/toll rd.

Just a backup location in case the one in Fairfax can't accommodate.

Just a data point--I just made the drive from Crystal City to the Udvar-Hazy Museum and back. Temps are in the mid-to-low 30s, and it was raining the whole way. I took the "scenic route," which is the GW Parkway to 95 to 267.

Keeping up with the flow of traffic (i.e., averaging between 60 and 70 mph) and using the heat as I normally would, I used about 95 miles of rated range to go approximately 61 miles there and back.

Preparation visit this weekend, January 11/12th - Join us!

All -

I will be traveling to DC this weekend as a preparation visit. I'll be getting together with Lanny and several others to accomplish the following:

Saturday - Meet at Starbucks at 2231 Crystal Dr. Arlington, VA @ 10am

- Free weekend parking in the Crystal City underground garage.
- Walk to Residence Inn, Capital View hotel and look at lobby and rooms.
- Go to connecting Renaissance hotel and look at Socci restaurant and top floor lounge.
- Split up and test charging stations
- Visit other Saturday dinner options near hotel?

Sunday

- Explore brunch options
- Drive designated route from hotel to Mt Vernon*
- Check photo op location & public meet and greet places
- Continue drive to Dulles Air and Space Museum?
- Visit Sweetwater Sterling and/or Falls Church or other dinner options

If any of you wonderful locals would like to join in on this and help us get through all these tasks, please join us!

We will be meeting this Saturday, January 11th at 10am at the Starbucks by our event hotel at: 2231 Crystal Dr Arlington, VA 22202.
There is free weekend parking in the Crystal City underground garage.

We'll be splitting up to test the chargers - then meet up again later in the day to update all of our lists. On Sunday, we'd like to then go as a group to the various, suggested places for Brunch & Dinner and make a group decision on which restaurants we want to go to. If we need to, we can also go to the Air & Space museum to check that out as well. Lanny and I are in the process of putting together a to-do list.

If you'd like to join us - please email us:

[email protected]

Thank you all!
Aaron

Last edited:
Just another quick suggestion - If you guys really want to get to DC I think that Hanes Point would be a great spot for a group picture. There will be plenty of parking at this time of season and you can get great pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Great food including "Ozzie rolls" which are little fried doughnut type breads that they serve when you sit down.
Ahh, the memory of "Ozzie rolls". First available at "Artie's" in Fairfax...then taken off the menu (but still available if you asked and the waitron was there long enough to remember). Now back at Sweetwater? Cool. Haven't lived in the area in many (many!) years--but still pine for "Ozzie rolls".