Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

@TeslaRoadTrip 2014 (Feb 15-17, 2014) - Dinner Event Signup & Details Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahh, the memory of "Ozzie rolls". First available at "Artie's" in Fairfax...then taken off the menu (but still available if you asked and the waitron was there long enough to remember). Now back at Sweetwater? Cool. Haven't lived in the area in many (many!) years--but still pine for "Ozzie rolls".

woof

Why not come and join us for the event?

We don't have a lot of long distance participants and want more!

Aaron

Count me as another vote for Great American Restaurants, although I'll unfortunately have to miss the event most likely, as I think I'll be traveling up to NJ that weekend. In addition to Sweetwater and Artie's, I also recommend Coastal Flats in Tyson's Corner (just downstairs from the Tesla store and HPWCs on-site!) and Ozzie's Italian in Fairfax Corner (near I-66 & Route 50, closer to Udvar-Hazy). All of them offer Ozzie Rolls (mmmMMMmmm). It can be tough for them to seat large parties, though, and they all get very busy on the weekends, so making advance arrangements would be required.

I've also had good success with large groups at Mamma Lucia's (Reston) as well as Clyde's (Tyson's and Ashburn), although I do like Great American better.

Another good option might be the Mosaic District in Merrifield, just north of Sweetwater. The parking garage below Target has 3 free 30A J1772 chargers (I've charged there successfully multiple times) and quite a few decent places to eat within a block or two, and there's another parking area near MOM's Organic Market with 4 more public chargers (which I haven't scouted or tried yet).

Finally, closer to the hotel, there are 2 free 30A J1772 chargers at a Harris Teeter grocery store (Route 29 Lee Hwy & North Harrison St), along with several good (but smaller and more casual) places to eat.

I'll be there! Probably stay both nights but at least Saturday. Coming from Baltimore, so it's an easy trip for me. Hopefully I'll have the new front/rear camera system installed and functional so people can see how it works. I can also do a demo installation of the lighted t for the nose cone.

Fantastic! We've added you to the list of attendees.

You giving a demo to show the installation of the lighted T is a great addition!!

Lanny

Speaking of Great American Restaurants, I'm voting for Carlyle - it's one of the nicest in that chain, and is located in South Arlington just off Rt. 395, not far from where this get-together is happening. The place can be a bit crazy for both evenings and the brunch scene but the food and drinks are great, and there's a parking garage within easy walking distance. Closest charging is a set of ChargePoint stations on Leesburg Pike (about 1 1/2 miles away).

i'd add one thing about the great american restaurant chains - really hard for them to seat large parties. the way they are configured, the best you can do at a table is like 5 or 6 - they are mostly built in booths, so they can't rearrange for large groups. As long as that's not an issue, they are fine - just something to be aware of. We've eaten at Coastal Flats and Ozzie's in fairfax corner many times - both are great, as is sweetwater.

Tempus

For those of us arriving from a few states away, any locals have recommendations on giving the exterior of our vehicles a quick wash before the group shot?

Either that, or hide all the cars covered in road grime at the back of the group photo! :wink:

Ahh.... wish I could have joined.. I will by traveling to NYC ... my first long trip in my MS! Although, if somebody wants to use my HPWC (which should be installed by tomorrow).. I can make arrangements. I live 10 mins south of Mt. Vernon.
As for food.. I would vote for Sweetwater and Clydes.
@aaron.. I won't be able to meet this saturday with you guys... but if you need help with anything, feel free to let me know!

I will also be out of town that weekend on a ski trip. I'm hoping many of us can get together again when the weather is warm, maybe at the NoVA SC opening... Will follow this thread to see if there's any way for me to help.

Actually, there is a group of us that use a local detailer for mobile hand washes on the cheap ($20-25, winter washes). Let me know if you want me to organize a group wash before/during this event.

I am likely able to attend. I will be coming in from Richmond, but I will stay with my parents in Bethesda so I won't need a hotel room. Now that my HPWC is installed, I can actually do a proper range charge from home.

For those of us arriving from a few states away, any locals have recommendations on giving the exterior of our vehicles a quick wash before the group shot?

Either that, or hide all the cars covered in road grime at the back of the group photo! :wink:

I've used a mobile detailing company, Triple D Detailing. They might be able to work a group discount deal and wash cars somewhere near the site (not exactly sure where). I think they do quick washes (incl. interior) for around $30. Not the greatest, but much better than putting your car through a car wash.

I just counted how many we have on the list so far.

35 have already signed up!!

Wow, it’s only been a week since we announced the @TeslaRoadTrip 2014 - "All Superchargers Lead to DC" and we already have 35 interested in attending!

So far, we have 12 drivers wanting to do the long-distance road trip into DC. We will probably have more @TeslaRoadTrip adventurers once the final connecting Superchargers become reality in the next few weeks.

If you live in northern Ohio, Illinois or Michigan, you might want to start thinking about being one of the first Model S owners to drive to Washington, DC using Superchargers! And when you arrive, you'll have a bunch of us to celebrate with. :biggrin:

If you're thinking about attending, you should get on the list now. Please email [email protected] and include the following information.

Your Name:
TMC Name:
City & State:
Cell Number:
Hotel Nights: (Sat. and Sun.?)
How Many Additional People:
Tesla Model and Color:
20 kW Twin Chargers?:

Aaron is coming to DC this weekend for a planning session and we'll have more information to share next week. :smile:

Lanny

Last edited:
I'm late to find this post, but add another local to the list. The suggestions here are definitely headed in the right direction. The Hains Point location will be great for scenery and availability of parking. There are also a couple of other solid options right off of GW Parkway (on the route you already highlighted to Mt. Vernon and just north of it between Reagan Airport (Gravelly Point) and Key Bridge. Columbia Marina might be a good photo location with the Pentagon in the background.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...1!1e3!4m2!11m1!1scX_LlVqGOk9AMotr8kzFMg&fid=7

The restaurants named are all good. Tysons can get a little crowded, though.... I REALLY liked the suggestion for the MOSAIC district in Merrifield. I've been frequenting that place regularly mainly because of the 6+ free chargers, plenty of other free parking, and several eating choices (e.g., matchbox pizza).

Also, I have an outdoor 14-50 at my house in North Arlington that I'm happy to share. I'm about a 15 minute drive from Crystal City (where it seems your hotel is): - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

I'd love to stop by the planning session Sat, but I have a date with my daughter at 11. Maybe I'll try to stop by early anyway. I was actually at that Starbucks this morning. Check out plugshare for the Vornado ChargePoint chargers in that area. There are at least two (one on each side of the Starbucks), but both have a sign that says "charging by permit only." Apparently you can call the number and get cleared to charge.
image_1617.jpg

Check out plugshare for the Vornado ChargePoint chargers in that area. There are at least two (one on each side of the Starbucks), but both have a sign that says "charging by permit only." Apparently you can call the number and get cleared to charge.

I have talked to Shira at Vornado when I called that number and according to her, there is no permit per se, you just need an electric car and that is the "permit."

We have changed plans slightly and instead of Starbucks, we will be meeting at 2100 Crystal Dr. at 10:00 AM Saturday, Jan. 11.

Lanny

I just saw this and would love to join you. 720 miles from Nashville to Alexandria Va. via Burlington and Glen Allen superchargers. Just finished a 1500 mile trip to Fl and looking for another Tesla adventure. How do I sign up? My wife and I would stay Sat and Sun nights and leave Mon morning

just set email

Last edited:
I just saw this and would love to join you. 720 miles from Nashville to Alexandria Va. via Burlington and Glen Allen superchargers. Just finished a 1500 mile trip to Fl and looking for another Tesla adventure. How do I sign up? My wife and I would stay Sat and Sun nights and leave Mon morning

Coming to DC from Nashville. Alright!

For those interested in coming, just send an email to [email protected] and include the following information.

Your Name:
TMC Name:
City & State:
Cell Number:
Tesla Model and Color:
20 kW Twin Chargers?:

Coming to DC from Nashville. Alright!

For those interested in coming, just send an email to [email protected] and include the following information.

Your Name:
TMC Name:
City & State:
Cell Number:
Tesla Model and Color:
20 kW Twin Chargers?:

I need to see some other Teslas. I have 15K miles on mine in 6 months and have only seen ones at the Chicago (test drive) and Atlanta service center. If there is any detailing available on Sat sign me up. Black is not a good road trip color.