Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's $200,000,000 Day!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know any other company that can take in $200,000,000 in a day?

Assuming 200,000 pre-orders today at $1,000 each.

200,000 is not unreasonable considering the lines shown at all the stores around the WORLD today, plus how many are waiting to reserve on line.

Do we know any other company that can take in $200,000,000 in a day?

Assuming 200,000 pre-orders today at $1,000 each.

200,000 is not unreasonable considering the lines shown at all the stores around the WORLD today, plus how many are waiting to reserve on line.

Ignoring the very speculative 200k number, $200 million in a day comes out to about $73 billion in a year. That wouldn't even crack the top 50. Tesla has lots of room to grow still!

Did you see the lines at Tesla Stores? Assuming even 500 per store, and 218 stores worldwide, thats 109,000 reservations right there.

I know for a fact that both Toronto locations had well over that number, the Yorkdale location stated they're estimating around 2,000 orders.

That doesn't even count all the online orders coming in tonight. The Model 3 reservations have also been opened up pretty much globally, with Tesla now tapping into the second largest population in the world: India as of tonight.

Ambitious? try delusional.

What was your prediction again? There were over 25k people recorded in line at each stores peak in North America. That's not counting reservations over the whole day and the rest of the world. That's at least 50k reservations in store. Three times the in store reservations online is not a stretch. Turnout was greater than anyone could have imagined.

What was your prediction again? There were over 25k people recorded in line at each stores peak in North America. That's not counting reservations over the whole day and the rest of the world. That's at least 50k reservations in store. Three times the in store reservations online is not a stretch. Turnout was greater than anyone could have imagined.

Is there a reservation number provided and tally somewhere with highest reservation number?

You do realize they allow everyone to reserve two if they want to right?
How many stores are there? I know at least 30 in the US alone. Probably 1,000 people per store minimum. Will hit 38,000 in stores alone today probably. Tons of people waiting on line. They opened it up early to avoid a server overload. 200,000 might be ambitious, but 100,000 I would say is almost a guaranteed figure for today. Still $100,000,000 in a day. Not half bad. Many Tesla owners will reserve two, for friends and family since they get first priority.

How many stores are there? I know at least 30 in the US alone. Probably 1,000 people per store minimum. Will hit 38,000 in stores alone today probably. Tons of people waiting on line. They opened it up early to avoid a server overload. 200,000 might be ambitious, but 100,000 I would say is almost a guaranteed figure for today. Still $100,000,000 in a day. Not half bad. Many Tesla owners will reserve two, for friends and family since they get first priority.

I'm one of those that have reserved 2

Keep in mind, no matter how much they make, they have to hold this money in reserve. It will show as a liability until the cars are delivered.

It's booked as "unearned income" so can be used for cashflow and is booked as a cash asset and as a deposit liability on the balance sheet. It doesn't have to be held in reserve for most jurisdictions*.

* A few States require deposits to be held in escrow e.g. Washington State IIRC.

Due to the overwhelming response, the server is not responding quickly and may be getting confused, or perhaps it was just me, but I ordered four. I started with two and it took quite a while before it would be accepted. Then, the message to acknowledge did not have as much information (email within 24 hours) as someone who posted their response. So I checked my credit card and there was no assessment. Back to order another two and it went slightly quicker but still came back with only a simple acknowledgement. But when I checked my credit card, $4000 was assessed.

Either I will get an email that explains I can only order 2 or I only get a confirmation for two and an assessment of $2000, or I have to make calls and find out. Either way, it isn't a big deal except that if quite a few people did this, then Tesla will record even greater sales for this event and it won't matter later because those that get cut will be taken up by others in the next quarter. I just think it's kind of amusing.

No, but there seem to be some accounting types on here that understand it better than I do. Sounds like there is not a reserve requirement. My assumption of the reserve was based on the full refund stipulation.

Not the first time I've been wrong. Not even the first time today, or this evening. :)