Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's $200,000,000 Day!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure?
They can't recognize it as revenue, but do they have to keep it in reserve, or do they just have to account it is a liability?
Any internet accountants here?

Not an accountant, but I did take an Accounting course at university so I can authoritatively say with no authority at all that it's a liability but they can use the money they receive (barring local escrow laws) however they see fit. No escrow here, so I'm fully aware that I could lose my money.

(Funny thing is that I've been ready to reserve for so long that the money was already mentally gone.)

Reactions: Seesaw
Did you see the lines at Tesla Stores? Assuming even 500 per store, and 218 stores worldwide, thats 109,000 reservations right there.

I know for a fact that both Toronto locations had well over that number, the Yorkdale location stated they're estimating around 2,000 orders.

That doesn't even count all the online orders coming in tonight. The Model 3 reservations have also been opened up pretty much globally, with Tesla now tapping into the second largest population in the world: India as of tonight.
I called it! Estimated 109,000 vs Actual of 115,000!

What was your prediction again? There were over 25k people recorded in line at each stores peak in North America. That's not counting reservations over the whole day and the rest of the world. That's at least 50k reservations in store. Three times the in store reservations online is not a stretch. Turnout was greater than anyone could have imagined.
yeah I was completely wrong, I admit that. The number of pre orders blows me away. Good for Tesla. The car is beautiful.

Reactions: Yuri_G
Are you sure?
They can't recognize it as revenue, but do they have to keep it in reserve, or do they just have to account it is a liability?
Reservation agreement says no escrowing, so short of local laws, I would expect they keep a reasonable reserve for the short-term jitters/errors and insure for the rest. Liability for the full amount, of course, but if they don't have to lock it down, no reason to think they will.

Do we know any other company that can take in $200,000,000 in a day?

Assuming 200,000 pre-orders today at $1,000 each.

200,000 is not unreasonable considering the lines shown at all the stores around the WORLD today, plus how many are waiting to reserve on line.

Apple makes $640 million in revenue every single day of the year. They made $26.5M every hour of every year last year. That's nearly half a million every minute. The mind boggles.

Apple makes $640 million in revenue every single day of the year. They made $26.5M every hour of every year last year. That's nearly half a million every minute. The mind boggles.

Apple is also worth over 700B at its peak, while Tesla's valued at around $30B, or about 4% the value of Apple!

Also, these "reservations" actually have a "revenue value" of over $4B. So, technically extrapolating that...Tesla has made over 6 times as much revenue in a day than Apples average you mentioned above.

Also, these "reservations" actually have a "revenue value" of over $4B. So, technically extrapolating that...Tesla has made over 6 times as much revenue in a day than Apples average you mentioned above.

Comparing peak to average is not very useful.
For the iPhone 6 launch, they had 4M preorders in the first day and 10M sales in the first weekend with an average sales price of $687.
In addition, sales continued to be strong way after that peak period - so you can look at 1 day preorders, or 1 week preorders or 1 week sales.

Turns out 200k wasn't as crazy a number as some thought, based on Elon's tweet a couple hours ago: "Thought it would slow way down today, but Model 3 order count is now at 198k."

Granted not all of that was pre-orders prior to the event, but still impressive nonetheless.

Guess I hit the nail on the head. So many said I was delusional to think there would be 200,000 pre-orders on this car. As the OP, can I now ask the moderator to remove the "speculation" part that he/she added after I submitted my post? No longer speculation. We're at over 200,000 now and counting. If anything, since I said "in the first week", my figure was conservative. $200,000,000 in actual cash intake with the potential for over $7,500,000,000 in actual sales! Amazing!!