Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's 2020 Supercharger expansion ignores Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has updated their Supercharger roll-out map to include installations planned to be completed by the end of 2020. Western and Eastern Europe in particular have many new locations planned to be completed in 2020. Unfortunately no new locations have been added to Australia's map for completion next year.
(Sourced from TOCWA's forum here: Tesla's 2020 Supercharger expansion ignores Australia )
Capture1.JPG

Capture22.JPG

Jeez. Really seems like Australia has drawn the short straw when it comes to any help from Tesla. No white Model 3, No LR Model 3, crappy supercharger network, bad communication, limited service centres, constantly changing staff. I understand we aren't that important when they look at where their sales are coming from but c'mon, if I slap down $200k on a car I expect perfection and nothing less. Surely it isn't that hard to get some superchargers in Darwin, Alice Springs, north Queensland, south Australia etc. Tesla's lack of sales in Australia can mainly be contributed to them for not making their cars actually useful when it comes to doing what Australians love to do, go on a road trip.

*RANT OVER*

hmmm. Seems Australia sits way above them in Tesla adoption

A bit normal considering you have been only able to order Teslas in Iceland for about 30 days.

Also, if you bought a Tesla before how would you have gotten it fixed? They are just now building a service center.

In other words you can't compare Australia to Iceland. Also I predict that by year's end Iceland will have a higher percapita Tesla ownership then Australia.

Reactions: mike_j
Already road trips in a Tesla in Australia are far more possible than any other make, including equivalent or more expensive EVs from Jaguar and Porsche.
We would all like more Superchargers, but considering you can drive from Port Augusta SA to above Brisbane using exclusively Superchargers is amazing for such a small company that is also trying to grow its model range at the same time.
I personally think what Tesla has done so far is amazing, and I don’t understand the “I paid a bunch of money” so everything should be perfect. Having said that I would be happier if Tesla concentrated on opening Service centres.

I agree with you @meloccom that the eastern seaboard of Australia is well serviced byTesla. Sales of new cars there will no doubt flourish with the introduction of the Model 3. Unfortunately this will not be the case in WA unless at the very least, Tesla opens a retail outlet in Perth so that the majority of people that prefer to sit in a car before they buy it, get an opportunity to do so.

Already road trips in a Tesla in Australia are far more possible than any other make, including equivalent or more expensive EVs from Jaguar and Porsche.
We would all like more Superchargers, but considering you can drive from Port Augusta SA to above Brisbane using exclusively Superchargers is amazing for such a small company that is also trying to grow its model range at the same time.
I personally think what Tesla has done so far is amazing, and I don’t understand the “I paid a bunch of money” so everything should be perfect. Having said that I would be happier if Tesla concentrated on opening Service centres.

So, "F*** you Jack, I'm alright"? Hope you get transferred to Perth with your job and have to bring your Tesla too.

A bit normal considering you have been only able to order Teslas in Iceland for about 30 days.

Also, if you bought a Tesla before how would you have gotten it fixed? They are just now building a service center.

In other words you can't compare Australia to Iceland. Also I predict that by year's end Iceland will have a higher percapita Tesla ownership then Australia.

Hey buddy. I've test driven a Tesla in Europe and the USA. Why don't you fly half a world away and try and do the same in Perth, Western Australia, popn 2M+. Oh wait. You can't do that here... yet! :(

Reactions: DontBetAgtsEln
hmmm. Seems Australia sits way above them in Tesla adoption

Funny, I'd like to make a similar chart for EV purchase rates, but Australia doesn't even make the list ;)

upload_2019-6-15_12-33-27.png

Iceland EV sales were 3439 in 2018:
In 2018, A Stunning 19% Cars Sold In Iceland Were Plug-Ins

Australia sold around 2700 in 2018:
Australia's EV sales remained at pathetically low level in 2018, data shows | The Driven

.... despite being 73 times the population and 75 times the area. E.g. you're nearly two orders of magnitude more expensive to serve, yet you buy fewer EVs than we do.

Now, you buy more Teslas than we do, because - and I can't believe I need to mention this - believe it or not, most people aren't going to buy a car that they need to personally import to the country and ship halfway across the North Atlantic for service, a car which they can't even Supercharge near the country's largest city. You buy more Teslas because Tesla is there. They're not here.

But will be soon, thankfully. And interest is huge. Iceland is going to be a mini-Norway for them.

We have similar incentives to Norway - the tax structure renders a Model 3 about 30-40% cheaper than competing cars with a similar retail price, gasoline is usually nearly USD $2/l / $8/gal but electricity is cheap, there's a variety of side incentives (and growing - they're even looking at congestion charges, which EVs would be exempt from), our power is almost 100% renewable but we have zero oil production, people are generally environmentally-minded, a single service centre can be located near 75% of the country's population, and the government plans to ban all ICE sales in 2030 and then start a phaseout of registration renewals for ICE vehicles.

There's a reason Tesla is coming here. Before deciding, they engaged in discussions with our government, and left convinced that this was going to be a very big market for them.

If you want to interest Tesla more, your country needs to get onboard with EVs in general. They just haven't yet. Not enough, at least. And it's a real shame, because Australia has great production resources for EVs. If Australia became as hardcore as Norway, I bet Tesla would not merely become widespread there.... I bet they'd position a Gigafactory there, to additionally export to south Asia and perhaps Africa. You're the world's largest lithium producer, the world's second largest rare earths producer, you have the largest proven nickel reserves on Earth, you're the fifth largest copper producer, etc etc. It's just calling for a Gigafactory - if you could only get a larger portion of your ~25 million people on board with the idea of EVs.

Last edited:
@KarenRei, I couldn’t agree more. Brilliant post! As an Australian who visited Iceland 2 years ago (and LOVED it) all your points are valid and I saw them with my own eyes.

The reality is Europe, China and North America is where the real growth for Tesla and EVs in general is. Many of these countries have shown deep desire to help EV adoption. They recognise their importance. The only interest Australia would be to Tesla is in solar and power walls.

Australia is a pathetic backwater when it comes to EVs and that will not change anytime soon so long as the idiotic population happily keeps voting in super conservative governments that want to protect the coal industry and its powerful allies.