Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Umm... no it doesn't? How so? Care to explain? No, you're just throwing nonsense around.

I don't hold punches. When someone spews nonsense, I call it what it is. Can't take it? I suggest you play elsewhere.

Why I'm going to bother wasting time explaining why you're full of crap here yet again is beyond me, but here it goes.

No, there isn't. The diag_vitals data that Tesla logs only reports one capacity value, and I noted that the values I reported were usable energy as reported by the BMS. I suggest you go back and read those posts before making baseless claims.

No, I fully explained that the number is the result of a pre-calibration value programmed into the BMS at the factory. This will yet again be me saying the same thing. "Hello! Anybody home? Think McFly! Think!" You want to keep hammering at this because it's basically the only thing that would seem to support your position, yet doesn't stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever. You're the one who prefers to harp on it because the truth doesn't fit your story. And just to be clear, I tell no "stories", either. Everything I write is backed up by the facts and the numbers. If I'm speculating, I specifically say so.

Of course I dismiss it, and have explained exactly why. In this case, you won't even explain why such speculation is worthwhile. Why? Why does it matter why some engineer put a starting value in for capacity calibration that's never correct? I'm pretty sure the speculation wouldn't support your case at all anyway, so let's waste everyone's time on it for a moment.

<speculation>
Hmm, so let's pretend I'm an engineer at Tesla. I'm working on the BMS software. I need a way to get the calculated capacity as close to the actual value in as few cycles as possible. I know that the software is designed to downwardly adjust the available capacity estimate much more quickly towards an accurate value since capacity loss is a normal aspect of the battery pack and magical capacity increase is not. Capacity can be lost due to imbalances, degradation, etc. But all of the battery packs are different. I know that 265 miles of rated range is the target. (RWD variants, since this is engineering that occurred at that point.) 265 miles is 78.175 kWh of capacity, plus the 4 kWh of bottom buffer is a target of 82.175 kWh. Ok, good. So we'll set the initial calibration capacity to some arbitrary amount above that... say, 2.5%? Then the BMS will quickly calibrate downward over the first couple of cycles to towards the correct capacity. And it's pretty unlikely that anyone will drive the car to 0% on the first charge or two. After a few cycles everyone will settle to around 265 miles, and everyone will be happy. Win win!
</speculation>

<speculation>
Marketing Department: We need it to look like these have 85 kWh
Engineering Department: But it will just correct itself anyway.
Marketing Department: Just do it.
(Engineer still puts in 84.6 kWh)
</speculation>

<speculation>
Engineer 1: These are the specifications targeted for the battery pack.
Engineer 2: Cool, but the batteries don't actually have that much capacity.
Engineer 1: Well, our software will correct it quickly, so doesn't matter and it keeps marketing off our backs.
Engineer 2: Good point. git commit (or actually svn, since Tesla used svn in the early days)
</speculation>

<speculation>
Panasonic: Our batteries have this much capacity
Engineer: Great, we'll program the BMS with this
* Panasonic walks away with sack of cash
</speculation>

Obviously the speculation can go on and on... but for what? What good does this do? There is no scenario that matters nor makes the initial calibration value relevant because it doesn't match any real world value.

So again, as much as you might want to scream that the reason they chose the number matters... it just doesn't. The engineers put a number in that works for the project and that's basically the end of the story. It has no bearing on actual capacity.

lol. Again, actually read my posts if this matters so much to you. I'm not going to hold your hand through that by copy/pasting things for you. I clearly explained where the initial data came from and my methodology. I clearly explained where the updated data came from (containing multiple orders of magnitude more data points). Obviously even if I went and bought multiple brand new 85 kWh cars from Tesla, towed them from the factory myself with the HV systems disabled, then dismantled the packs for testing..... I still wouldn't end up with as much data as Tesla themselves have in the database that I was provided by an insider. Why is this even a question?

So, let me get this straight. Your argument that there is no "missing" kWh is based on a couple of things.

First, you claim total capacity is 84-85 kWh. Let's start with that. I'll reiterate that I have zero.... that's read z-e-r-o or "0"... data points from THE ENTIRE TESLA FLEET WORTH OF DATA that shows a single vehicle having a usable capacity of 81 kWh or more (total of 85 kWh or more). Zero. ZERO. ZERRRRRRRO.

Next, you cite "multiple data points" where usable capacity is between 80 and 81 kWh. Sure, I never said that wasn't the case. But you're taking some extreme edge cases as if they were normal. Yes, there are a handful (literally less than 200 or so out of something like 88,000) of "85" vehicles that have capacities that would almost not be criminal to round up to "85". As for basically everyone else... the other 99.9% of "85" vehicle owners.... yeah, sorry, you don't have anything close to 85 kWh of battery capacity and you never did.

And the EPA testing is just pointless. I've no idea how they come up with their numbers. They literally don't match real world data for any car. 95.507 kWh recharge from the wall event on an 85 kWh pack? That's only possible at like 5A on 120V or something ridiculously inefficient. Or with extreme pack heating needed. Or running HVAC at full blast while charging. Or any other number of reasons that make that number completely outrageous. That's a wall->wheels number of over 360 Wh/mi for a RWD 85's rated mileage.

FACT: I just drove my car down to 1 mile of range a few weeks ago and then charged to 100% from AC power. This is a newish good condition "90" pack that shows 83 kWh usable (87 kWh total capacity). The recharge event pulled 93.8 kWh from the wall. So, my "90" pack that has ~281 miles of rated RWD range at 100% charge pulls less power from the wall than the EPA calculated for an "85" with, for the sake of argument lets say it showed 272 miles of range. lol. Come on now really?

Finally, I'll apologize to everyone else here on this forum who benefits from and enjoys my technical posts and knowledge sharing. Suffice it to say @vgrinshpun has once again reminded me why I can't post such things here and why TMC still is still not the correct venue for technical discussions about anything that can possibly shine a bad light on TSLA. I simply don't have the time to bother with battling people who will defend Tesla to the death no matter what they do wrong, and this post is proof of that again. I'm 100% certain that there will be yet another response trying to take attention away from the facts, but I'm not going to bother anymore, so don't take my lack of further response here as lack of support for the actual facts. They still stand regardless of what spin people may try to put on them. (Statistics show that teen pregnancy rates drop dramatically after age 20!)

Until TMC decides to finally implement some form of self-moderation so that technical discussions can be kept clear of baseless and useless speculation and other pointless discussions that detract from the usefulness of the data and technical points themselves, or finds some better way to partition technical topics (there isn't one).... I'm going back to limiting my TMC use to the classifieds section and responding to reasonable PMs and highlights.

Data from Tesla EPA certification application dated 12/02/2014 indicate that:
  • usable capacity of 85 kWh battery based on C/3 discharge rate is 83 kWh
  • usable capacity of 85 kWh battery based on discharge rate to support EPA City Cycle Testing is 80.640 kWh
  • usable capacity of 85 kWh battery based on discharge rate to support EPA Highway Cycle Testing is 80.731 kWh
Summary of Data
upload_2019-4-20_20-45-56.png

Excerpt from the Tesla EPA Certification Application dated 12/02/2014

upload_2019-4-20_20-40-49.png

Link

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=34511&flag=1

VW gets a lot of legal problems and public complaints over making their cars pass tests by adjusting settings when in a test.

Tesla labels a product 85 when really it should be 80 and they know it. And would be 77 at other brands. Nerds object, the crowd doesn't care.

Anyone want to buy a liter of joghurt off me? The inner container size is 100x100x94 mm.

• Disagree
Reactions: wk057 and scaesare
Tesla labels a product 85 when really it should be 80 and they know it. And would be 77 at other brands. Nerds object, the crowd doesn't care.
Problem with math:
80.73 kWh usable + 4 kWh buffer = 84.73 kWh (EPA Highway Cycle discharge)
Rounds to 85 kWh

83 kWh usable + 4 kWh buffer = 87 kWh (C/3 discharge)

For other brands - check Jaguar or Audi.

Reactions: scaesare and jgs
Data from Tesla EPA certification application dated 12/02/2014 indicate that:
  • usable capacity of 85 kWh battery based on C/3 discharge rate is 83 kWh
  • usable capacity of 85 kWh battery based on discharge rate to support EPA City Cycle Testing is 80.640 kWh
  • usable capacity of 85 kWh battery based on discharge rate to support EPA Highway Cycle Testing is 80.731 kWh
Summary of Data
View attachment 399040

Excerpt from the Tesla EPA Certification Application dated 12/02/2014

View attachment 399038

Link

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=34511&flag=1

Note test data taken from Tesla report. So we cant completely trust Tesla's number.

Reactions: DavidB and Cloxxki
Not true for Jaguar I-pace
Not true for Audi e-tron
I regard both as 50/50 compliance cars more than serious best effort BEVs to make loads of.
In the case of Audi, they of course take a liberal reserve to get from total to usable.

And I said "most", so better address that part of my argument rather than finding two. You could also deflect by going into what "competition constitutes. I should have stated: progressive BEV makers now often state conservative usable capacity rather than total.

I regard both as 50/50 compliance cars more than serious best effort BEVs to make loads of.
In the case of Audi, they of course take a liberal reserve to get from total to usable.

And I said "most", so better address that part of my argument rather than finding two. You could also deflect by going into what "competition constitutes. I should have stated: progressive BEV makers now often state conservative usable capacity rather than total.

Let me know which cars are included in “most”. Kindly include data backing this up.

Wow. Didn't expect to see this thread resurrected.

Been sitting on this, mostly, but since the last time I posted anything relevant here, a Tesla insider leaked a TON of data to me about the entire fleet of Tesla vehicles. That data quite clearly shows that no 85 was ever 85, no 90 was ever 90. In fact, the vast majority of 90 packs have even degraded to be below the capacity of the vast majority of 85 packs at the time that data was given to me. This is their own internal data. 60, 70, 75, and 100s get a pass, as most of those meet spec. 85 and 90 folks got mislead, and they should be labeled 80 and 85 respectively. Since Tesla charges.. what, $3k to upgrade from a 70-75? ... I feel like we should all get $3k in credit or something. Not going to happen, but it is what it is.

Also since that time I've run capacity tests on loads of 85-type modules... and, you guessed it, not even the best come out to 85 kWh total capacity.

Next, I actually spoke with an ex-Tesla engineer who actually worked on the BMS software early on. He explained that the 4 kWh "buffer" doesn't mean what we think it means. It was actually a kludge built in to smooth the range calculation, and to make sure you actually could hit zero miles consistently without getting stranded. On average, the actual capacity "buffer" is 2 kWh, so the code was written so that a 4 kWh window was used and scaled along with the SoC as the car discharged, adjusted and calibrated as possible based on other measurements. This was to ensure that the range calculation would never adjust abruptly, and should never (rarely) run out of capacity while rated miles were > 0. TL;DR: The actual capacity left on the table by the value of the "buffer" is targeted by the BMS to be half that much.

Finally, in the past 2 years since my last substance post in this thread, I've almost completely reverse engineered the Tesla BMS software and hardware. Guess what's in there? Oh, right the factory "new" profiles for every battery type. More interestingly is that the other values (like those actually reported by the BMS) are directly derived from the initial factory capacity number. Anyone want to take a stab at what the new-from-the-factory values are for the "85"? Spoiler: Not 85. If you guessed 80, you win. (And for those playing along at home, the remaining initial values: 60 for the 60, 70 for the 70, 75 for the 75, 85 for the 90, and 100 for the 100.... one of these things is not like the other...). (Note: My reverse engineering also confirms what the engineer told me above.)

Let's stop beating this dead horse and get over it. Tesla lies, and they lied about the 85 capacity. Still love the products, hate the company.

giphy.gif

Finally, in the past 2 years since my last substance post in this thread, I've almost completely reverse engineered the Tesla BMS software and hardware. Guess what's in there? Oh, right the factory "new" profiles for every battery type. More interestingly is that the other values (like those actually reported by the BMS) are directly derived from the initial factory capacity number. Anyone want to take a stab at what the new-from-the-factory values are for the "85"? Spoiler: Not 85. If you guessed 80, you win. (And for those playing along at home, the remaining initial values: 60 for the 60, 70 for the 70, 75 for the 75, 85 for the 90, and 100 for the 100.... one of these things is not like the other...). (Note: My reverse engineering also confirms what the engineer told me above.)

Do I understand this correctly, that based on the results of your almost completely reverse engineered BMS software and hardware, consistent with the information provided by a former BMS software engineer, usable capacity of:

• 60 kWh pack is 60kWh
  • 70 kWh pack is 70kWh
  • 75 kWh pack is 75kWh
  • 85 kWh pack is 80kWh
  • 90 kWh pack is 85kWh
  • 100 kWh pack is 100kWh

right?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Do I understand this correctly, that based on the results of your almost completely reverse engineered BMS software and hardware, consistent with the information provided by a former BMS software engineer, usable capacity of

*snip*

right?

Don't add words to my writing. I never said usable. I was very clear that I was referring to the total capacity of the actual batteries.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear enough, usable capacity is always going to be less than the total capacity. The weirdness with the buffer kludge makes this more complicated, but not by much. The real new usable capacity is going to be the factory new total capacity, minus 2 kWh, +/- 1 kWh.

Last edited:
Don't add words to my writing. I never said usable. I was very clear that I was referring to the total capacity of the actual batteries.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear enough, usable capacity is always going to be less than the total capacity.
Thank you for clarifying this. So what is usable capacity of the brand new 60, 65, 70, 85, 90 and 100kWh packs according to your research?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Since Tesla charges.. what, $3k to upgrade from a 70-75?
Fyi, in case you didn't catch it, they discounted the 70-75 upgrade for software locked Model S to $500 back in 2017. They also discounted 60-75 MS unlock at that time to $2,000 (I took advantage of that one, so I know it wasn't just a rumor).

Thanks for the additional information from the BMS software btw.

• Informative
Reactions: David99