Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's amateurish service lives up to its bad reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned 2 Model S’s since 2013. The service has been consistently and predictably bad. This is not the case where only the complainers complain. It is so bad that I now tell everyone to never buy a Tesla.
That's unfortunate but not the rule. I'm among many who've been very happy service, though I've needed little over the past 4 years and two Tesla's.

Curiously, I see you joined TMC 8 Mar 22 and made 4 posts complaining about service, nothing else, and haven't returned since 9 Mar 22. Some might call such behavior Troll-like but I guess time will tell if you have anything constructive to add or you've moved on.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This. I've experienced loaner availability issues with my Audi dealership that I never have in the past. Not saying Tesla should get a pass as they've created the reputation they currently have, but I'm thinking lots of dealers cashed out some of their loaner fleet due to the shortages.
Yes, they absolutely did.

My wife’s Subaru dealer always gave her a brand-new loaner. Until now. No loaners, period. None.

They can’t get enough cars to sell, so they can’t tie up some of them as loaners.

Their lot looks really sparse.

I love my Tesla, but I will say I never had an issue getting a loaner from Toyota service centers. I was actually just at the service center OP mentioned. I will say it did seem really chaotic. It also seemed TINY. I got uber credits to get back home which I didn't particularly mind because I was only getting minor issues fixed and they said they would finish up before end of day. Can't speak to their full service just yet, but so far everything's been ok
“I never *had* an issue…”

Key word is “had.”

When did you last get a Toyota loaner?

I’d bet not recently. It’s a recent problem, everywhere. Chip issue, mostly.

IMO these aren't minor. But should be no brainer for skilled craftsman to fix.
View attachment 756755
View attachment 756759
View attachment 756760
That first one looks bad. Unacceptable.

Can’t tell for sure if it’s the lift gate or the quarter panel that is the problem.

Kind of looks like the quarter panel, which doesnt sound good, if that’s the case.

Not sure how a skilled craftsman could even fix that.

The second one doesn’t look too bad, but we’d we’d need a better photo (straight-on) to say more. An A-gap.

I don’t see a big deal with the third one, as far as I can see, anyways.

There are simply no cars to loan at a traditional dealership. The Ford dealerships I've visited are empty. Same with Hyundai... one told me they used to rent a football field size parking lot for new cars (300-500) but only had 19 new cars on the lot that day.

And there are major car shortages at car rental agencies too. Not surprised loaners aren't available.
Exactly.

All the “used to get this” and “used to get that” is meaningless. Now is now, and it’s a completely different ballgame.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I have a September order, which I used to be counting the hours of the days down towards, and over the last couple of days, I've begun seriously thinking about cancelling my order. Between the heat pump issues (I live in Minnesota), the build issues, the phantom braking, the awful service, I'm just not confident I'm going to be getting a quality, reliable car. $60K is a lot of cash to be putting down when you're not confident about the product. My biggest issue/problem with Tesla is they don't even seem interested in fixing the very real problems they do have. It's an awful company to be a customer of (even with the shifting EDD dates), and I'm seriously wondering how much more goodwill + faith I'm prepared to pony up.
How exactly do you know “it’s an awful Company to be a customer of” when you aren’t one?

Keep in mind that most posters here are from the small minority that are very unhappy. Hundreds of thousands aren’t.

In the climate that we live in, I don't expect loaners. I just dropped off my new '22 BMW X5M which costs exactly twice my wifes MYP. Not only did I not get a loaner, they paused any shuttle runs or uber credits. I was left on my own. Life's too short to get mad over trivial things. I decided to go on a nice long walk and got my own uber.
Thank you!

Dose of reality.

I think a lot of Tesla buyers have unrealistic expectations.

They’re not BMWs (I have two).

They’re not Ferraris (I have zero).

After reading all four pages in this thread, I hope I didn't make a mistake in placing an order for my MY
I'm on my third Infiniti currently a 2016 Q70 that I am very happy with.
I was blown away after test driving a M3, MS, MX, and MY.
I guess if I'm not happy I can always sell it an get a Benz. I've always been offered a loaner from the Infiniti dealer. I had one for a month when my previous 06 G35 6 speed needed a wiring harness replacement for an air bag warning problem. Eventually traded it in for the 2012 G37S 6 speed at 172k miles
You didn’t make a mistake. Unless you are expecting a Ferrari. Or an Infiniti, in terms of fit and finish….

Posts here are mostly from very dissatisfied owners.

Not from the hundreds of thousands of satisfied ones.

Thank you!

Dose of reality.

I think a lot of Tesla buyers have unrealistic expectations.

They’re not BMWs (I have two).

They’re not Ferraris (I have zero).
I dunno. I think it’s about prioritization. My Audi dealer has had loaners throughout. The only change has come is that no longer have Q7s so I get Q5.

I’m not down on Tesla for it because you’re right. I don’t see Tesla as a luxury brand despite the sticker prices. Just saying there are places that still have it. I wouldn’t expect Tesla to be one of them.

Yes, they absolutely did.

My wife’s Subaru dealer always gave her a brand-new loaner. Until now. No loaners, period. None.

They can’t get enough cars to sell, so they can’t tie up some of them as loaners.

Their lot looks really sparse.
My guess is they wont be coming back any time soon, either. Loaners cost the dealerships money (even after some offsets from mfg). One they have "acclimated" costumiers to not getting a loaner they will try to stick with that even after the shortages abate.

• Informative
My guess is they wont be coming back any time soon, either. Loaners cost the dealerships money (even after some offsets from mfg). One they have "acclimated" costumiers to not getting a loaner they will try to stick with that even after the shortages abate.
You are probably correct. When we took the wife's Mercedes E450 wagon to the Mercedes dealer in West Palm Beach they do not offer you a loaner like they do in NJ. The offer you a rental vehicle from a rental agency that is on site. Florida is ok to visit but I prefer NJ

That first one looks bad. Unacceptable.

Can’t tell for sure if it’s the lift gate or the quarter panel that is the problem.

Kind of looks like the quarter panel, which doesnt sound good, if that’s the case.

Not sure how a skilled craftsman could even fix that.

The second one doesn’t look too bad, but we’d we’d need a better photo (straight-on) to say more. An A-gap.

I don’t see a big deal with the third one, as far as I can see, anyways.
I'm pleased. They straightened it out.

I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a twist over a loaner. I'm not sure what OP was told, but in my experience, the service center has always been clear in communicating that a loaner is only provided if one is available. More importantly, if they're out of loaners while your car is in service, they offered me $100 of Uber credit per day. In some ways, taking Uber is even better than fooling with a loaner. Do all service centers not offer this?

This is a normal tesla Fix? Seam sealer was cracked on the lift gate, so they just slap on clear silicone over the crack, dirt and taillight.
trunk.jpg
trunk1.jpg

I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a twist over a loaner. I'm not sure what OP was told, but in my experience, the service center has always been clear in communicating that a loaner is only provided if one is available. More importantly, if they're out of loaners while your car is in service, they offered me $100 of Uber credit per day. In some ways, taking Uber is even better than fooling with a loaner. Do all service centers not offer this?
I was promised a loaner and had to wait for several weeks. During my second scheduled appointment there was no loaner or any acknowledgment of that promise. Instead, I got lame BS from a very bad BS-er. Insult added to injury! When I escalated it by insisting the manager intervene, viola, I got my loaner -- no problem. People often fail to ask for what they want or need and take "no" for an answer too easily.