Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's amateurish service lives up to its bad reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had a problem getting a loaner with a non-Tesla dealer. And we are talking about several brands over the past 10 years since the service became popular. Sometimes its not necessarily a demo but a random used car on the lot. Infiniti, Chevrolet, VW all seemed to be able to properly schedule service/repair for my personal vehicle.. have a loaner available.. get my personal car back to me in a timely fashion.

Granted I've also had nothing but great service from Tesla. So my experience has been pretty good around when needing to get my car fixed.

There wasnt a single time I brought my CTS-V in to Cadillac that I didnt get a loaner. I'm pretty sure the S/X crowd are offered the available loaners before the 3/Y crowd. Toyota and the like usually gave me an economy Enterprise car (which was fine, I just want wheels).

Tesla banks on ppl like me not really wanting to Uber anywhere, I'd rather not deal with it. Although.... now that I think about it, when you tip, does it use your Uber credits? If so I'm gonna take an Uber and be EXTREMELY generous to the driver.

Reactions: kc1953
There are simply no cars to loan at a traditional dealership. The Ford dealerships I've visited are empty. Same with Hyundai... one told me they used to rent a football field size parking lot for new cars (300-500) but only had 19 new cars on the lot that day.

And there are major car shortages at car rental agencies too. Not surprised loaners aren't available.

Why the Tesla build quality is so bad ? I mean they have been building cars for over 10 years now and they still can’t get it right is beyond my understanding! And to make things worst, their sub-par customer service! I have very busy work schedule and I can’t deal with this. For me quality and service is more important! Almost thinking to cancle my MYLR order!
Everything negative is on display here so keep it in perspective. And if quality and service are your highest priorities stick with BMW/MB/Lexus - not being dismissive, just MHO. But aside from people who come here to vent, most people are highly satisfied and your Tesla rarely needs service.

Reactions: DanDi58
Everything negative is on display here so keep it in perspective. And if quality and service are your highest priorities stick with BMW/MB/Lexus - not being dismissive, just MHO. But aside from people who come here to vent, most people are highly satisfied and your Tesla rarely needs service.
agree. I have Tesla Solar for 3 years now and so far I am happy with the product. I haven’t experienced any customer service issues so far (finger cross). But with cars, there seem to be many more quality issue. Will make the call on the delivery day I guess based on the car I receive.

agree. I have Tesla Solar for 3 years now and so far I am happy with the product. I haven’t experienced any customer service issues so far (finger cross). But with cars, there seem to be many more quality issue. Will make the call on the delivery day I guess based on the car I receive.
As noted, no one really posts when their car DOESN'T have any issues. Mine didn’t. 😉

There are simply no cars to loan at a traditional dealership. The Ford dealerships I've visited are empty. Same with Hyundai... one told me they used to rent a football field size parking lot for new cars (300-500) but only had 19 new cars on the lot that day.

And there are major car shortages at car rental agencies too. Not surprised loaners aren't available.
Thats a fair point. I havent tried to rent a car in years.

In my experience loaners don’t have to do as much with the brand as with the dealer network (though in some cases the brand can try to promote certain policies at the dealer level).

Loaner programs at least hear in SoCal (Orange County) are far from guaranteed and I’ve had that experience across multiple luxury brands. Many dealers don’t maintain their own loaner fleets and have rental agreements (often with Enterprise). Some will only commit to giving you some rental (no guarantee what car) if you are doing a multi-day service visit, others will give you a rental of the same make but will charge you some nominal fee for the car or insurance.

There are a few dealers (I’ve had experience with one for over 14 years now) who maintain their own well stocked loaner fleets and can guarantee a loaner for pretty much any type of service (including even a detailing). These are few and far in between.

Tesla’s overall service experience has not been terrible, they make up for the lack of loaners with mobile service which is very convenient and I’ve had reasonably good experience with them fixing things. However, they would really benefit from having a better loaner policy. While the Uber credits are better than nothing, they were not particularly helpful throughout the pandemic when I was trying to avoid any sort of ride-sharing.

Here is some insight from a former luxury brand service manager in the Philadelphia area. The big issue with loaners is the sense of entitlement every luxury customer has. There is a disconnect between sales(who tells every customer they can have a loaner), and service(who expects some of the people with simple quick items to wait). Everyone wants a loaner for everything, tire rotation, oil change, anything you can think of. Then you have the customer with the brand new vehicle that has the car towed in and no transportation...............flat tire, major issue, doesn't matter, that you almost have no choice but to give them a loaner. Customer decides to wait for 2 hour repair, something breaks........loaner. Also, while every repair has an estimated time not everything goes smoothly and gets done as originally estimated, some people who get a loaner for the day end up with a 3 day loaner. Finally, and this is my favorite.......most people think loaners grow on trees and its fine if they keep them for an extra day, 2 days, etc, and you literally have to track them down or threaten them to get your vehicle back. I have literally had to drive to customers houses and steal our loaner vehicles back from the customer............

And yes, this happens at every dealership I've been to. Ironically, the only dealer/s that seems to be more top of the game was Hyundai/Chevrolet that I once worked for. The difference here being that the loaners were actually run out of a dealership run rental department that was for profit with a large fleet and got paid from the manufacturers for the loaner vehicles. At almost every other dealer this is/was a mostly non profitable venture.............

I know Tesla is a different beast, but I assume they face similar issues on a daily basis......

I had concerns about Tesla quality and service. I was coming from Acura, BMW, Porsche. Fortunately for me I have had no problem. I will not consider MY a luxury car. It is fun to drive but the interior fit and finish does not comiare with other luxury cars like Porsche, BMW. I was took a risk buying Tesla. I want an EV as for now Tesla makes the best EVs. I have heard horror stories where it is taking many more the time repair the car after minor accident. I hope your car is fixed soon. Try another service center. I don’t regret buying Tesla.

Reactions: TSLY
Why the Tesla build quality is so bad ? I mean they have been building cars for over 10 years now and they still can’t get it right is beyond my understanding! And to make things worst, their sub-par customer service! I have very busy work schedule and I can’t deal with this. For me quality and service is more important! Almost thinking to cancle my MYLR order!
I have a September order, which I used to be counting the hours of the days down towards, and over the last couple of days, I've begun seriously thinking about cancelling my order. Between the heat pump issues (I live in Minnesota), the build issues, the phantom braking, the awful service, I'm just not confident I'm going to be getting a quality, reliable car. $60K is a lot of cash to be putting down when you're not confident about the product. My biggest issue/problem with Tesla is they don't even seem interested in fixing the very real problems they do have. It's an awful company to be a customer of (even with the shifting EDD dates), and I'm seriously wondering how much more goodwill + faith I'm prepared to pony up.

Reactions: am_dmd and sevusal
I'm pretty sure the S/X crowd are offered the available loaners before the 3/Y crowd. Toyota and the like usually gave me an economy Enterprise car (which was fine, I just want wheels).

This is spot on. Back in 2016 when I got my Model S, I always got a Tesla loaner during service visits. Those were the days…P90D S and X loaners that weren’t software restricted!

Now with the influx of 3 and Y owners, there simply aren’t enough loaners. My local service center uses Enterprise to provide all loaner vehicles. But the few Tesla loaners that the Enterprise branch has are only provided to S and X owners. LOL. In any event, I much prefer mobile service repairs if possible.

Disheartening to see so many apologists regarding Tesla build quality. Tesla claiming these gaps are "within spec" is ridiculous. My car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now, been told it was ready 4 times, it still looks like crap. No other car manufacturer has such horrendous quality control or low standards.

Not an apologist at all. I harp on major issues like the poor rear visibility, lack of safety features like 360 camera, cross traffic alerts, and blind spot monitors (now it has one but not ideal). I suspect those three items will be legally mandated in a few years for new cars.

The panel gaps are minor concern to me.

If you want to talk about poor QC.. VW is poster child number one for electrical systems. The number of wacky reports on the ID.4 is scary to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: sevusal