Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's amateurish service lives up to its bad reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending the day being frustrated that it is taking 3 days (maybe longer..the SC won’t commit) to fix a couple of door trim alignment issues and install homelink, I’ve concluded that it’s just the way it is with Tesla. If customer service was a priority for Elon Musk, there would be good customer service. 100% communication through app is not all that effective but it is what it is and it’s not going to change. I’m just hopeful that over the long run, my enjoyment of driving my MYLR isn’t significantly adversely offset by having to deal with Tesla the company.
I agree 100% service is not a priority for Tesla. For almost all of Tesla’s history they’ve basically had a monopoly on usable EVS. They have by far the best product of its type so the customer is willing to overlook some of its warts. There is a chance that this could be changing in the future. Almost every manufacturer is developing their own EVs, most of whom have significantly more experience at mass production and reputations of higher fit and finish. I love my MY but I’m not a Tesla devotee. I’m particularly interested in keeping up with the products that VW is producing; their ID series looks to be really high quality. I will buy an EV from another maker if it is of equal or better quality/value without compunction. When weighing all of the pros and cons of the decision the next time I purchase a new vehicle, Tesla’s quality of service might be the reason I choose a different company.

I agree 100% service is not a priority for Tesla. For almost all of Tesla’s history they’ve basically had a monopoly on usable EVS. They have by far the best product of its type so the customer is willing to overlook some of its warts. There is a chance that this could be changing in the future. Almost every manufacturer is developing their own EVs, most of whom have significantly more experience at mass production and reputations of higher fit and finish. I love my MY but I’m not a Tesla devotee. I’m particularly interested in keeping up with the products that VW is producing; their ID series looks to be really high quality. I will buy an EV from another maker if it is of equal or better quality/value without compunction. When weighing all of the pros and cons of the decision the next time I purchase a new vehicle, Tesla’s quality of service might be the reason I choose a different company.
I couldn't agree more. I bought a MY because it checked all the boxes. I'll likely look to to replace my PHEV in 5yrs or so. I will have a different set of requirements for that and Teslas lineup may or may not meet them.

Reactions: TSLY

Tesla service issues??? Check this one out.
Cliff notes version. Women buys a brand new Model 3 Performance, hears squeaking noise in the rear wheel, sets up appointment with service, they reply this is normal sound car is fine, woman goes to third party repair shop and discovers rear wheel is missing a brake pad from the factory.
When it comes to service, Tesla acts more like an extended warranty provider…their script calls for telling you nothing is wrong and hoping you get frustrated enough to give up, especially in case of new car warranty issues.

When it comes to service, Tesla acts more like an extended warranty provider…their script calls for telling you nothing is wrong and hoping you get frustrated enough to give up, especially in case of new car warranty issues.
Ha, that just happened to me 6 times. Your car is within specs. meanwhile, my brand new car looks like it was repaired poorly after an accident.

Reactions: InternetDude
So, I indeed was forced to escalate this. I did so by contacting my sales advisor to complain about the run around and lack of quality service. He texted the manager at my service center and gave me his name. I followed up with a call last week and after hearing my complaint about the runaround, the manager was most understanding. He apologized and set up an appointment today with a loaner. Aside from having to wait 25 minutes, the appointment went fine. The loaner is a M3P, fast a hell. Should have my MY back in a few days, hopefully with aligned panels and no surprises. I don't buy the "all Tesla's have misaligned panels so get over it" argument. That may meet your standards but not mine. Will update again when I get MY back.

After reading all four pages in this thread, I hope I didn't make a mistake in placing an order for my MY
I'm on my third Infiniti currently a 2016 Q70 that I am very happy with.
I was blown away after test driving a M3, MS, MX, and MY.
I guess if I'm not happy I can always sell it an get a Benz. I've always been offered a loaner from the Infiniti dealer. I had one for a month when my previous 06 G35 6 speed needed a wiring harness replacement for an air bag warning problem. Eventually traded it in for the 2012 G37S 6 speed at 172k miles

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
After reading all four pages in this thread, I hope I didn't make a mistake in placing an order for my MY
I guess if I'm not happy I can always sell it an get a Benz. I've always been offered a loaner from the Infiniti dealer. I had one for a month when my previous 06 G35 6 speed needed a wiring harness replacement for an air bag warning problem. Eventually traded it in for the 2012 G37S 6 speed at 172k miles
I've driven nothing but BMWs and MBs. Although great cars in their own right, none provided as much fun or practicality as the MY. But the biggest equation isn't luxury vs practicality. The main reason I bought a Tesla is I'll never have to pump or buy another gallon of gas again!

Why the Tesla build quality is so bad ? I mean they have been building cars for over 10 years now and they still can’t get it right is beyond my understanding! And to make things worst, their sub-par customer service! I have very busy work schedule and I can’t deal with this. For me quality and service is more important! Almost thinking to cancle my MYLR order!
Update: I thought I close the loop here. I decided to keep my order and I am glad
I didn’t cancel it. The car I picked was flawless without a single issue. May be Tesla is working hard to improve their manufacturing process! Overall very happy with the car.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi and Gumball
Until I bought Tesla MY I did mint know what panel gap was. When I went to pick my MY I brought a friend with me and a 2 page check list. We found a few minor issues. I came home took a look at 2020 Acura MDX and noticed panel gap issue in it. We bought many cars and never paid attention to every little detail. 15 months in my MY is a joy to drive and I have not needed service

Had longstanding service appointment today -- with loaner -- to adjust misaligned panels flagged at delivery. It was a non starter! There was no loaner available, although the appointment was predicated upon a loaner. An advisor tried to BS his way out of it, which only peed me off. Unfortunately, Tesla's reputation for bad service proceeds itself. The Santa Monica Service Center is utterly disorganized, messy, and staffed by kids that act like they flunked out of kindergarten. When I asked to speak to a manager - none available - the advisor said Tesla can't reserve loaners. They use a catch as catch can approach calling when a loaner becomes available. An idiotic system IMO! But what choice do I have? So, I agreed. This has been going on for two months, since I took delivery. My MY should be in the body center the better part of a week. The advisor projected a loaner will be available next week. If not, I intend to escalate this aggressively. From my experience Tesla Service deserves the bad reputation it earned. A word to the wise, end of rant.
My 2021 MY suffered a possible fault in the rear drive unit on Monday (2/7)... Service was requested, got a call that they were coming for the car around 3:00... tow truck showed up, my wife drove me over to the Enterprise rental office, and Tesla service is paying for wheels for me. All done proactively at the Libertyville, IL service center. They have kept me advised a couple of times per day... very good communication and service. I was told today that they have the part in stock (if indeed the fault is the problem). So far, service/communication has been stellar. Lucky, I guess.

Got MY back yesterday after 5 days in service. Nothing is perfect but I'm satisfied Tesla did everything in its power to remedy problem. I think the alignments are within spec now and my MY looks much better. I'm satisfied! My takeaway is always escalate your issue upon encountering incompetent employees who pose obstacles to a solution. The cherry on top of my service saga is Tesla cleaned and detailed the vehicle inside and out. :)

The service and customer service are the only things holding me back from ordering another Tesla. I'm on the list for the Macan EV at my local Porsche dealer.

My biggest gripes are that I can't contact anyone at the service center to ask a question. There is no phone number. I have to create a service appointment and then message them and then cancel it.

No Loaner Cars. I drive a lot and need a car to drive. At the price point, there really isn't an excuse.

Last edited:

The actual ownership experience of driving the car and living with it is second to none. It's fast, the seats are one of the most comfortable, and it's easy to drive. You'll never have to go to a gas station ever again and there is no extra service you have to pay for. The only time you should see a Tesla service center *should* be the day you pick up the car. Just hope you don't have any major issues because other than that, you won't find a better daily driver.

I had one major panel gap issue with the trunk not being aligned and my rear window leaked when it rained. Both were fixed and the car hasn't had any issues 15 months into ownership now.

Got MY back yesterday after 5 days in service. Nothing is perfect but I'm satisfied Tesla did everything in its power to remedy problem. I think the alignments are within spec now and my MY looks much better. I'm satisfied! My takeaway is always escalate your issue upon encountering incompetent employees who pose obstacles to a solution. The cherry on top of my service saga is Tesla cleaned and detailed the vehicle inside and out. :)
Based on how you write and describe the employees I can assume your live presence is equal. With that said I would be that are Equally glad to be done with your visit and issue.

• Disagree
Re: loaners, since I've never owned nor leased a "luxury" brand, I can say for non-luxury brands (e.g. Toyota, Nissan and Chevy) that I have personal experience with, receiving a loaner at all is the exception, not the norm. Have written about my experiences numerous times before like at the below:
I can now add data point for Chevy. I've never received a loaner from them either (not that my former Bolt needed to brought in many times). The local dealer even cut their shuttle due to COVID. I think in some (?) cases, they could give Uber credits but I never tried.

While there is no doubt Tesla could be better, remember that people dont go out of their way to post "Had car serviced, all went well" type experiences, so you are looking at a somewhat biased sample here (and, as other have noted, you will find equally bad examples of service for most car brands in the appropriate forums).

For reference, I've had 3 service engagements with Tesla over the past 2.5 years:

1. Got an odd "GPS antenna failure" error. Booked an appt for next week to get it looked at. The error went away next day (probably a software glitch). Cancelled service appt. Got a text from service center asking if all was ok, I reassured them that the error had gone away, replay was "great, rebook if it comes back".

2. Decided to pre-actively replace my 12V battery after 2 years, booked a service appt (5 days ahead). Got a text asking if battery was causing problems, explained that I was being proactive, and was fine paying for it. Mobile service turned up on time, changed the battery, checked tire wear, topped up windshield fluid, and was gone in 30 mins. Paid on iPhone app, zero hassle.

3. Got "creaking suspension" issue. Booked service (6 days ahead). Dropped off car, guy said yep was a known issue they would replace ball-joint and re-seal others. Four hours later, care was ready, picked it up later (just got Uber, walked to car, jumped in, drove away). No charges, all under warranty.

Now, I've no doubt the horror stories posted here are true, and Tesla needs to get better, but certainly my experiences (so far) have all been fine. It's possible my service centesr (Lynnwood, WA and Bellevue, WA) are better managed of course.

For contrast, my Infiniti was broken into last year so needed to get front Windows replaced. Dealer insisted on detailing car (at my expense) "because we can't service it with glass shards in cabin", and then took 2 weeks to change out the glass, after the original estimate was 2-3 days (with zero fall-up until I called them and asked what was going on).
I have owned 2 Model S’s since 2013. The service has been consistently and predictably bad. This is not the case where only the complainers complain. It is so bad that I now tell everyone to never buy a Tesla. The only good thing about Tesla is its supercharging network. Elon or whoever was very smart to get that infrastructure in place because it is very hard to trade in for a superior car and service minded auto company for a limited charging network. but believe me, as one of the first 9,000+ owners, the service has never been good. It seems to be company policy. They do not care once you buy their car. Period.

My 2021 MY suffered a possible fault in the rear drive unit on Monday (2/7)... Service was requested, got a call that they were coming for the car around 3:00... tow truck showed up, my wife drove me over to the Enterprise rental office, and Tesla service is paying for wheels for me. All done proactively at the Libertyville, IL service center. They have kept me advised a couple of times per day... very good communication and service. I was told today that they have the part in stock (if indeed the fault is the problem). So far, service/communication has been stellar. Lucky, I guess.

My 1 month old M3LR suffered a rear drive motor failure last 3/19 and they confirmed the rear drive unit needs replacement. So far the Van Nuys service center has no loaner car and gave me Enterprise rental. Parts will arrive in two wks according to SA.
They won't give me Uber credits because I live far, 65 miles from service center. Tesla won't cover gas expenses as well for the rental. Instead of spending $5 a day (100 miles RT to work), it cost me $20 a day.

I have owned 2 Model S’s since 2013. The service has been consistently and predictably bad. This is not the case where only the complainers complain. It is so bad that I now tell everyone to never buy a Tesla. The only good thing about Tesla is its supercharging network. Elon or whoever was very smart to get that infrastructure in place because it is very hard to trade in for a superior car and service minded auto company for a limited charging network. but believe me, as one of the first 9,000+ owners, the service has never been good. It seems to be company policy. They do not care once you buy their car. Period.
And yet my service HAS been good. So who is in the majority? No-one knows, but certainly people complain far more than they praise, is trying to judge from (say) posts here is impossible. it's quite possible you have a bad service enter, or I'm lucky and have a good one. The same, sadly is true of car dealerships, though the makers try to fix the bad ones (but dont always succeed).