Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas and other Evs in the I-95 24-hour backup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you were driving a Tesla on I-95 in Virginia near Fredericksberg on Monday/Tuesday, January 3-4, 2022 in the snowstorm, what was your experience in the 24-hour backup.
  1. How long were you stopped?
  2. What was the state of charge of your battery when you stopped moving?
  3. Did your car heater keep you comfortable?
  4. Did you run out of battery power?
  5. If so, how did you recharge?
  6. Add any other comment.
  7. Imagine Virginia’s icy traffic catastrophe — but with only electric vehicles

came to see if there was a discussion on this. an ev-skeptic friend who lives in the Fox bubble asked me realistically how long it would take to deplete, because he saw the drama in his feed.

I answered little over a day, just based on my own observations. takes 3%/hr to stay at 67 and watch netflix @ 1F. LOL Stuck in your tesla Wouldnt be a bad evening unless you were driving under 20% and/or had the squirts.

I have enjoyed the few misinformed politically driven comments on this.

Assuming we're talking about the Tesla equipped with the smallest battery (M3 SR with 56 kWh battery) and then assume that you get stuck with a half charge (so 23 kWh available). A large space heater draws 1500 W i.e. 1.5 kW so 1.5 kWh per hour, so assume the car's climate control is no less efficient than a household space heater, cranking it to 11 and running it for 12 hours would only draw some 18 kWh of charge, which would still leave you with 9% battery at the end of it. That's 25 miles of rated range, which would probably only get you 15 miles in that cold. That should be enough to limp to the nearest charging station (Superchargers at Glen Allen or Fredericksburg, destination charger at Ruther Glen, or J-1772 chargers at Woodford and Ashland). If we can factor in some ability for the car to retain heat so it doesn't need to be cranked up so high, and if the passengers responsibly agreed to tolerate a temperature in the high 60's to conserve power, then you could probably double that to 24 hours and still finish with enough charge to reach the nearest station.

Read an article a few days ago about how BAD it would be if the VA snow traffic jam had been populated with EV’s. Dumb article. Just came upon an analysis of said article and want to share it. Come what may, I’d rather be in my M3 LR AWD than a gasoline car. Full disclosure, I carry basic cold weather survival gear including water in my car.

Last edited:
Yeah, saw the original WP article and went to Twitter to write the author, but it hadn't been posted to twitter at the time. Glad someone else took the time to address the nonsense. Like you, I also have an emergency survival backpack in my car with food, water, space blanket, first aid kit, 12v starter, shovel, tow strap, snow tracks to get unstuck, etc. I figure I'll have to help out some ICE rather than them helping me.

came to see if there was a discussion on this. an ev-skeptic friend who lives in the Fox bubble asked me realistically how long it would take to deplete, because he saw the drama in his feed.

I answered little over a day, just based on my own observations. takes 3%/hr to stay at 67 and watch netflix @ 1F. LOL Stuck in your tesla Wouldnt be a bad evening unless you were driving under 20% and/or had the squirts.

I didn't even think of that. There's no other vehicle I'd rather be stuck inside. lol

• Funny
Reactions: Peelz
Have you looked at YouTube lately? Almost EVERY Tesla YouTuber in a cold climate is making some variant on this video.

thanks for these.

I happened across Chevy's Social media Introduction to the E-Silverado by way of algorithm... the comments within are absolutely the dumbest takes on EV's youll find. Ill share those videos in it if it pops up again.

Seriously, the dumbest stuff. to paraphrase most: "no thanks, Ev's will never be a thing, just wait until you get trapped in a snowstorm"

:rolleyes:

Here's a Reuter's Fact Check article I came across. Haven't seen the link anywhere on TMC :
(as best as I can tell)

Reactions: MontyFloyd

Even having the squirts would be better in a Tesla…

• Funny
Reactions: Peelz