Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas and UK ‘don’t touch your phone’ laws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never said that you or the world was. Maybe work on your tone, it’s not that difficult, is it? Thank you for the clarification.
My tone is absolutely fine. And yes it is difficult when you get defensive and I have to explain something that did not need explaining in the first place. Be that as it may, Im glad ive managed to clear your mind :)

There is nothing stopping you from going out right now and commit a very serious crime or even doing so online. Sometimes you have be careful what you wish for.

Forgive me JS, but it did come across as a bit arsey.
By all means. For context this relates to the above quote. God blimey. If that sound arsey you would not want to catch me having a bad day 🤣 😬

• Funny
Reactions: Exy1 and boombap
In car screens aren't covered by the mobile phone legislation which is specifically aimed at handheld devices.

Being distracted by in car UIs, etc could be dealt with by means of a Driving Without Due Care and Attention prosecution.

I can only presume that the reason for the specific legislation prosecuting handheld use is because a) there have been studies that show a clear link between their use and diminished driving competence and b) it enables a distinct and unambiguous penalty when prosecuted - unlike DWDCA which evaluates culpabillity and has a range of punishment.

Legislation can be quite slow to catch up to technology of yesteryear, let alone current stuff. It wasn't until fairly recently that the mobile phone Law was tightened up to disallow taking photos and other "non interactive communication" usages. I could imagine a world where legislation is revised in due time to punish car UI use specifically, like mobile phones, as they are becoming more and more dominating within the car (particularly where car functions are relegated to the screen).

Reactions: Mullermn and Js1977
I could imagine a world where legislation is revised in due time to punish car UI use specifically, like mobile phones, as they are becoming more and more dominating within the car (particularly where car functions are relegated to the screen).
Yes, it will probably happen imho. It's mostly a case of some people bad decision that trigger these legislations. This is why the law exists after all. I think there was rumours of it recently but it won't surprise me if if car speeds get restricted (actually within the software) as to ensure full compliance. It's all forever changing.

Reactions: Durzel
I’m not really interested in individual opinions on this (simply because it’s pretty obvious in advance what the two different schools of thought are going to be), but I am interested in any official information or opinions that readers might be aware of.

Teslas are obviously very dependent on a software driven interface and touch screen controls, but in the UK we are getting increasingly strict restrictions on use of phones or other distraction devices while driving.

Is there any official view on where these things collide? Is use of the Tesla UI while driving strictly speaking breaking the law? Is there any likelihood that the laws might further tighten to the point where it is, and what would that mean for current owners?

Or is there a specific exemption in the rules for in built infotainment systems? It would be reasonable to assume that if the government certifies a vehicle for sale that it is legal to use it, after all.
Seeing as how one can make the phone call using voice commands and you speaking as though you had a passenger I can't see how you'd violate any no cell phone while driving law

It always struck me as a bit bizarre how checking my Twitter timeline on my phone while on the charging mat is illegal but doing the same thing using the browser is perfectly legal until I crash
Both are the same. Illegal only if you aren’t in full control of the vehicle/careless/dangerous driving. You aren’t holding the phone and therefore the specific handheld device laws don’t apply.

Or getting a chewed up tape out of the tape player, finding a radio station, adjusting the heater ......
Or changing a CD if you are a bit younger

Or worse still, if you were a bit posh, ejecting the 6 CD cassette and retrieving it from under the passenger seat, swapping out a couple of disks and putting it back in. 🤣

Or simply talking to a passenger/kid in the back can distract you enough so you’ll fall foul of driving without due care.

At the end of the day you’ll only be fined if you are weaving all over the road in front of the police, cause a collision or some kind of other traffic offence and caught on dash cam.

While the display isn't a handheld device, if you’re caught being distracted using it, then you’re heading for driving without due care and attention.
Sounds sensible.

If the car manufacturer makes it so that it is impossible to fully control your car without using a non-tactile interface (like a touchscreen), and you basically have to divert your attention from the road in order to control things like wipers, where does that leave us?

It seems to me that perhaps the regulations need an update and there needs to be a list of core functions that have to be accessible using a no-eyes-required interface (like a control stalk).

Reactions: SalisburySam
Sounds sensible.

If the car manufacturer makes it so that it is impossible to fully control your car without using a non-tactile interface (like a touchscreen), and you basically have to divert your attention from the road in order to control things like wipers, where does that leave us?

It seems to me that perhaps the regulations need an update and there needs to be a list of core functions that have to be accessible using a no-eyes-required interface (like a control stalk).
It wouldn't a problem if you could control the functions by voice. I tried to demist the front windscreen, I got the reply it could find any song by that title. After a dozen attempts I had to use the touch screen, as they advise you only to use the hard shoulder for emergencies only.

It wouldn't a problem if you could control the functions by voice. I tried to demist the front windscreen, I got the reply it could find any song by that title. After a dozen attempts I had to use the touch screen, as they advise you only to use the hard shoulder for emergencies only.
I have had similar experiences. I'm from the home counties so normally my accent is generic enough that voice assistants work for me, but I find Tesla's to be terrible. Once when I realised I didn't know where I was going I asked for voice guidance to be turned on to have the car cheerfully cancel navigation completely. Not only did it get it wrong but it managed to do it in a way that was 180 degrees opposite what I was asking for.