Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are being delivered too fast for Supercharger Growth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, but why do you have to only charge at Superchargers?

It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, EVgo and Electrify America are cheaper.

This is definitely not true.

For example, the 350 kW chargers that Electrify America and EVgo use are definitely "faster" than 150 kW V2 Supercharger

That's because you (and others) refuse to use anything else.
Who has a 350 kW charger in their car?

Yes, EVgo provides CHAdeMO adapter on-site.
50 kW maximum is insufficient for road tripping but nice in a pinch. I wish Tesla would release its US CCS adapter and offer the conversion for pre 2020 cars like they said they would. Even then, since I supercharge for free, I'll be looking for Superchargers as my first choice. BTW I have not seen any lines in Austin except maybe the at the two banks of Urban Chargers in Northwest Austin, but at 75Kw max that is understandable. The new Bee Cave Shoppes Parkway bank has been empty save for me every time I have charged there.

Last edited:
I have a CHAdeMO adapter that I got with my 2018 MX, since I suffer from Range Anxiety (a well known Tesla affliction), and I periodically test it out on third party chargers. Would like to try the CCS adaptor but it was my understanding that it does not work with the Model X or S.

I have a CHAdeMO adapter that I got with my 2018 MX, since I suffer from Range Anxiety (a well known Tesla affliction), and I periodically test it out on third party chargers. Would like to try the CCS adaptor but it was my understanding that it does not work with the Model X or S.

Actually, that is probably not completely true.
  1. The Tesla CCS1 adapter will fit the "Chromed" (my identifier-name for "Legacy") Models S and X charge ports.
  2. To the best of my knowledge it will also work in all model-years that are "CCS-enabled." (Roughly 2020-present, excluding perhaps 6/21-10/21.)
For example, my (December 2020) "2021" Model X is CCS-enabled and should work with the Tesla adapter.

I am still trying to pin-down exactly why Tesla said it is only for Models 3 and Y (in South Korea).

Now your 2018 Model X probably can't use the adapter, true. But there may be a way to retrofit older models to allow use of the CCS1 adapter. (As is done in Europe for the CCS2 adapter), We'll just have to see.

From what I read, the (expensive and problematic) aftermarket SETEC/Lectron CCS1 adapter would probably not be any better than your CHAdeMO adapter (in terms of charging speed). So that leaves the aftermarket EVHub CCS1 adapter (from Ukraine!), until Tesla offers the adapter and a retrofit in North America. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie
Okay, but why do you have to only charge at Superchargers?

It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, EVgo and Electrify America are cheaper.

This is definitely not true.

For example, the 350 kW chargers that Electrify America and EVgo use are definitely "faster" than 150 kW V2 Supercharger

That's because you (and others) refuse to use anything else.
Will I need some type of an adapter to charge at EA and EVgo? (I have a 22' Model Y performance)

Will I need some type of an adapter to charge at EA and EVgo? (I have a 22' Model Y performance)
Yes -- at least, usually. Some EVgo stations have Tesla plugs, which actually use a modified Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. They can charge at a maximum of 50kW. To use EVgo stations that are not so equipped, or other DC fast charging stations from EA, ChargePoint, or other providers, you'll need an adapter. Currently, there are several choices, but for a 2022 Model Y, the best choice is almost certainly Tesla's CCS1 adapter. It's compact, relatively cheap, and charges at close to Supercharger speeds on fast enough CCS hardware. Unfortunately, Tesla has not yet begun selling it in North America; it's officially available only in Korea. At least one company, Harumio, is importing them as a grey-market item. (That is, it's legal, but not officially supported by the manufacturer.) This adapter should work with most Teslas made recently (since October of 2020, IIRC; but that may be wrong). There's a screen in Tesla's center display that will tell you if the car supports CCS, but I don't recall precisely where it is, offhand; maybe somebody else can give that detail. It's marked "CCS support" or something similar, in a list of vehicle capabilities/features. AFAIK, all 2022 Model Ys support CCS, but Tesla's been known to pull down old parts for use when they have a shortage, so it's definitely worth checking this detail.

Harumio also imports Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, which disappeared from Tesla's Web store a few months ago. It's limited to 50kW, it costs more than Tesla's CCS1 adapter, and as CHAdeMO is a dying standard, it's just not a good choice unless your car doesn't support CCS -- and even then, it might be better to wait and hope that Tesla offers a CCS retrofit when they eventually offer the CCS adapter in North America.

Finally, there's a third-party CCS adapter from Setec, sold in North America by Lectron. It mimics Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter on the car end, so it's limited to 50kW. It's also bulky and more expensive than Tesla's adapter, and Tesla claims (with some plausibility, IMHO) that it poses an electrical arc hazard because of its design. Thus, Tesla has, on at least two occasions, found ways to disable the adapter. Most recently, some people say it's disabled, but others say that the car complains about the hazard but it still works, so it's not clear if Tesla has given up on the whack-a-mole game or not. Overall, as with the CHAdeMO adapter, this one isn't as appealing as Tesla's CCS adapter. I really can't recommend it at this point unless you're desperate and can't use Tesla's adapter -- and even then, I'd favor the CHAdeMO adapter, at least until CHAdeMO stations start getting scarce.

There's a screen in Tesla's center display that will tell you if the car supports CCS, but I don't recall precisely where it is, offhand; maybe somebody else can give that detail. It's marked "CCS support" or something similar, in a list of vehicle capabilities/features.
🛠 SETTINGS - > SOFTWARE - > ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

CCS adapter support

"Not Installed" / "Enabled" are the two possible options.

Yes -- at least, usually. Some EVgo stations have Tesla plugs, which actually use a modified Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. They can charge at a maximum of 50kW. To use EVgo stations that are not so equipped, or other DC fast charging stations from EA, ChargePoint, or other providers, you'll need an adapter. Currently, there are several choices, but for a 2022 Model Y, the best choice is almost certainly Tesla's CCS1 adapter. It's compact, relatively cheap, and charges at close to Supercharger speeds on fast enough CCS hardware. Unfortunately, Tesla has not yet begun selling it in North America; it's officially available only in Korea. At least one company, Harumio, is importing them as a grey-market item. (That is, it's legal, but not officially supported by the manufacturer.) This adapter should work with most Teslas made recently (since October of 2020, IIRC; but that may be wrong). There's a screen in Tesla's center display that will tell you if the car supports CCS, but I don't recall precisely where it is, offhand; maybe somebody else can give that detail. It's marked "CCS support" or something similar, in a list of vehicle capabilities/features. AFAIK, all 2022 Model Ys support CCS, but Tesla's been known to pull down old parts for use when they have a shortage, so it's definitely worth checking this detail.

Harumio also imports Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, which disappeared from Tesla's Web store a few months ago. It's limited to 50kW, it costs more than Tesla's CCS1 adapter, and as CHAdeMO is a dying standard, it's just not a good choice unless your car doesn't support CCS -- and even then, it might be better to wait and hope that Tesla offers a CCS retrofit when they eventually offer the CCS adapter in North America.

Finally, there's a third-party CCS adapter from Setec, sold in North America by Lectron. It mimics Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter on the car end, so it's limited to 50kW. It's also bulky and more expensive than Tesla's adapter, and Tesla claims (with some plausibility, IMHO) that it poses an electrical arc hazard because of its design. Thus, Tesla has, on at least two occasions, found ways to disable the adapter. Most recently, some people say it's disabled, but others say that the car complains about the hazard but it still works, so it's not clear if Tesla has given up on the whack-a-mole game or not. Overall, as with the CHAdeMO adapter, this one isn't as appealing as Tesla's CCS adapter. I really can't recommend it at this point unless you're desperate and can't use Tesla's adapter -- and even then, I'd favor the CHAdeMO adapter, at least until CHAdeMO stations start getting scarce.
SRS5694, Thank you very much. I appreciate all the info!

We noticed on our roadtrip within Texas that several of the superchargers (Waco in particular) seem to be more crowded no matter when you go. Just yesterday at both the Abbott and Waco superchargers, both were over 50% if not over 80% full and we got the message on our screen about being limited to 80% due to high demand.

I took delivery of my Model Y in June of 2021 and then my Model 3 in August of 2021. Going to a Supercharger near me or on a trip to Vegas or San Diego was just a matter of mapping to the Superchargers in route and plugging in. My last couple trips it seems there are a lot more Teslas on the road and it’s overcrowding the Superchargers. So much so that when you get within a mile or so of them, it’s like a race and suddenly the rude drivers are whipping past you and cutting you off for a slightly less wait time to start charging. Anyone else notice this? My last trip to Vegas took 35 min to get an open charger in Baker. Out of curiosity to see if it was better, I stopped in Primm and the line there looked like possibly an hour wait. Maybe I’ll have to rent an ICE vehicle for my long road trips despite my Range. Defeats the purpose of getting an EV though.
I've noticed that supercharger occupation is heaviest during the day, but not so much evenings and mornings, and almost non-existent at night. If someone wants to supercharge on a trip, they need to get up early and go charge when the chargers are nearly empty. At the superchargers near me, I rarely see more than a dozen cars (out of 20 stalls), and often more like eight, but that's not middle of the day. Since you're travelling the main drag between LA and Vegas, of course you'll see more usage, unless you hit the chargers before 10 AM or after midnight. Just the way it is.

Of course Tesla might should put up more chargers, but the way to get that to happen is to tell THEM, not complain to us.