TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Teslas are overrated?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by justthateasy, Aug 21, 2013.

1. justthateasy

justthateasy Member

I was out last night with some friends and somehow Tesla came up. There was a young woman fresh out of college in the group who happened to have a big mouth with no filter spoke the first thing that came to her mind and called Teslas "overrated". So I took the opportunity to ask why she thought that and the first thing that came out was the price of the car. I countered and told her the reasons why the car is so expensive, the primary being that it is aimed at the luxury market for now and more models will be available in the next few years. Then I went further and told her that the Model S won car of the year but came 1 point short of a near perfect score only because the Supercharger network is incomplete. I then went to mention that the Model S also broke records and won 5.4 out of 5.0 stars in the safety rating. She of course tried to weasel her way out by attempting to talk about the limited 200+ mile range of the Model S and said she preferred an ICE engine, and of course we got into the entire environmental issues impact of both ICE cars along with the disposal of the Model S's battery which led into a small global warming debate..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I get that there are naysayers out there that gravitate to the price of the Model S being the biggest and most of the time the only reason why they think it is overrated. Can't these guys ever come up with something better?

2. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Plant her in the passenger seat and floor it. Then stop, look at her and ask... "you were saying?" You'll probably end up taking her home. :love:

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Well if price is the issue then I guess BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and the list goes on are all overrated as well.

What a joke--now maybe the fact that she wants one but can't afford it, might be part of the jealousy.

4. justthateasy

justthateasy Member

#4 justthateasy, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013

Two things, 1) I don't own a Model S, I'm still many years away from being able to afford one, hopefully a Gen3 though and 2) *************************************** Besides, she isn't even my type. :tongue:

5. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

#5 NoMoGas, Aug 21, 2013
    Well, flooring it would make her shut up thats for sure. But the pre-requisite is of course to have the car. NOTHING beats the sheer stunning thrill of that first launch.d

6. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#6 SwedishAdvocate, Aug 21, 2013
    For me, it depends on what they are actually saying, as with all human beings.

Also: IMO people are more than their current opinions and values. They’re also all the opinions and values they could have instead.

Unfortunately sometimes though, that can be a lot easier said than done, so I fully understand if you just let it be.

I’ll give you an A+ though for taking the debate with her. That’s what I also would have done.

7. justthateasy

justthateasy Member

I think jealousy is usually the driving factor with these illogical rationalizations to their position. Personally, I'm well aware that I can't afford a Model S now but I'm far from jealous and I realize that not being able to afford one is not a reason to call it overrated. In fact, I hope that Tesla does very well in the next decade so EVERYONE will be driving an EV one day.

This kind of reminds me of the whole iPhone vs every other phone debate. A lot of people who decide to go with other phones often cite the price of the iPhone the reason why they had to go with another phone and in the end, they end up saying negative things about the product they cannot afford to buy. Talk about projection. :rolleyes:

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ahem, TMC is a family-friendly site....Let's make sure we keep it that way.

9. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I have found that most of the people complaining about value would never own (or be able to afford) ANY premium vehicle eg BMW, Merc, Audi, etc... They can go home to their 1993 Geo Metro... I'm more interested in convincing actual potential customers. Tesla's intention is not to compete with Mazda or Kia.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The closest I've come (and I may have already mentioned this in another thread) was a comment from someone who said (something like) "the Model S is a nice car if you can deal with all the compromises". I didn't get in to it with him, but assume he was referring to "range" and "charging time" issues.

What I realized (later, of course) was that all of the compromises I had been dealing with over a lifetime of driving were limitations having to do with the Internal Combustion Engine and associated ecosystems. In comparison, there are a lot fewer compromises with a BEV than with an ICE.

11. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

This

12. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. O:)

13. justthateasy

justthateasy Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. Perception is everything in this market and many fail to see the long-term costs and limitations of an ICE vehicle. What's worse is the fact that we've been living with the same limitations for what, the last 40 years or so?

14. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Generally, the best way to deal with people like that is to ignore them. My neighbor called my MC Red MS a "status" car. I pretended I didn't hear it. I like it when she stays on her side of the property line...

However, if the girl is one that you are interested in (or she's interested in you), it's a great opportunity...

15. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

However, a Tesla is also not only for people who would buy another premium vehicle. For example, I have never owned a BMW, Merc, Audi, etc (probably because of my perceived lack of value), but I do own a Tesla and believe that I got excellent value for my money when accounting for total cost of ownership.

16. nspollution

nspollution Member

#16 nspollution, Aug 21, 2013
    I have more respect for someone who thinks Teslas are over-rated than someone who would utter the above phrase.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Bang-on. I've had the same conversation.

18. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I've never owned another premium brand either bit I did plunk down 35k on a new Taurus two years ago. People spending that kind of money on a car are still in a significant minority compared to lower cost cars and the uses vehicle market. I'm not saying tesla won't attract people like myself (they already did), I'm saying they will likely never be in reach of the average joe that spends 10-15k on their car and is the vast majority. Most of the people I hear complain about the price have never even bought a NEW car in their lifetime.

19. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#19 SwedishAdvocate, Aug 21, 2013
    Yeah… That first sentence really is a weird thing to write…

20. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

No doubt that Tesla is out of reach for the majority of car buyers due to price. In fact, if they didn't offer a 40 kWh version when I reserved, even I might not have purchased one. I really wish more early reservation holders had configured with the 40 kWh battery, because now, after the production cars have been thoroughly reviewed, safety-tested and proven, I really think the low-end version would have had a much bigger following. In my mind, there is a big difference in a $50-52k net base price versus a $60-64k (with supercharger access) net base price. It's still out of reach for most, but I bet you the potential buyer-base doubles or triples. I know that Tesla doesn't have a demand issue, so it's not a revenue problem. Gen III will be another huge leap forward, but it will still be a higher price than many can afford (especially if you want options).