Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are welcome in Arizona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sales team their said the Tempe location closed because the foot traffic just wasn't there. There are a lot of college kids in that area and middle income people. The orders weren't coming in through that store. That is why they moved it (I wouldn't call it a closing) to the much more affluent Kierland shopping center in north scottsdale.
I can't prove you are wrong but I trust my sources and they were very adamant that they were warned to close it. Now there are two sales centers in Scottsdale and none anywhere else in the state. Doesn't make any sense.

AZ definitely isnt tesla friendly, we just lucked out with cheap registration and HOV access. Cheap registration goes away in 2022 and I bet HOV is slowly on its way out. There is no state incentive for going electric and local utilities are completely against solar. Love AZ but we are shooting ourselves in the foot for trying to go green.
Agree with you.

HOV access was capped for hybrid vehicles years ago though you can transfer plate to a new hybrid. I would think the same thing will happen for BEV soon...or worse

While I do wish we had the charging infrastructure that Cali does, waiting in line for Supercharging is not a thing here. You may not have been around the Metro Phoenix area lately. There are Superchargers located @ 502 E. Camelback Rd, Phoenix. and 2805 Agua Fria Fwy, Phoenix, and 1502 N Kierland Blvd, Scottsdale, and 15059 N. 73rd St, Scottsdale. and others located around the State. Sure, I wish we had more all over the State but some have arrived and are available.
Thanks for the update! We have to go once in a while to visit our niece at UAT in Tempe. It's good to have a great community like this for the info Xchange. My first drive thru was a little spooky, range anxiety and a few SC's not even on the map yet. The last one was easy peasey with the road knowledge.
I've got those locations noted and I remember seeing the Scottsdale one still in grey on the last trip. Good to know it's red now!! Thanks again and see you on the I-10 around Baseline! :D

Reactions: Evoforce
I can't prove you are wrong but I trust my sources and they were very adamant that they were warned to close it. Now there are two sales centers in Scottsdale and none anywhere else in the state. Doesn't make any sense.
I would stop by and chat with the guys in Tempe about once a month. That is the story they told me. Honestly, I hardly ever saw anyone in there shopping for a tesla. However, on the rare occasions I go to Kierland, the place is always crawling with shoppers.

I would stop by and chat with the guys in Tempe about once a month. That is the story they told me. Honestly, I hardly ever saw anyone in there shopping for a tesla. However, on the rare occasions I go to Kierland, the place is always crawling with shoppers.

but why have 2 in close proximity (unless the state disrupts the free market)

Just received my special blue plate (good for anytime HOV use) and 5-year registration for a grand total of $174.03. The same car (my wife's diesel Audi) costs about $2,500 for 5-year registration. Arizona rocks electric!

View attachment 451903 View attachment 451904
One of the really fabulous incentives in Arizona. If you can't use the Federal credit this can truly add up to more than even the $7500.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
I thought my home town of Austin had a lot of Tesla's but when I was in Scottsdale a few weekends ago I was blown away. I could be driving anywhere around town and it felt like I saw a Tesla every 20 seconds no joke. Definitely can see why they're so huge there (aside from the wealthy snowbirds Scottsdale brings).

I thought my home town of Austin had a lot of Tesla's but when I was in Scottsdale a few weekends ago I was blown away. I could be driving anywhere around town and it felt like I saw a Tesla every 20 seconds no joke. Definitely can see why they're so huge there (aside from the wealthy snowbirds Scottsdale brings).
Yes If only TX was in the oil camp for some reason. j/k I miss living in ATX/Lakeway

but why have 2 in close proximity (unless the state disrupts the free market)
No, the locations are distinctly apart and kierland gets more foot traffic - 1st floor in a really nice upscale outdoor mall.
The scottsdale fashion square is on the 2nd floor and much harder to access in my opinion. There are a lot of fish in Scottsdale - fish with two fishing poles. I think they could even support a third store somewhere in the area - perhaps 24th and camelback.

No, the locations are distinctly apart and kierland gets more foot traffic - 1st floor in a really nice upscale outdoor mall.
The scottsdale fashion square is on the 2nd floor and much harder to access in my opinion. There are a lot of fish in Scottsdale - fish with two fishing poles. I think they could even support a third store somewhere in the area - perhaps 24th and camelback.

100% agree. 24th and Camelback could definitely support it.. I work across the street at the Esplanade and the amount of Tesla's I see in the parking garage + people constantly talking about Teslas in the elevator and what not. A lot of $$$ in this area.

One of the specialty tags we can get is an EV tag. It signals LEO and parking enforcement folks this is an EV. (Hybrids also can get the same tag). When we pull through the checkout booth at the airport, we write (I printed labels for this) our name, tag number and phone number on the back of the ticket. Parking booth folks see this and open the gate. Ca-Ching-Zero.

There's always a but. This ends in ends in 2020. It was intended to encourage EV purchases. It did, so they are taking it away from us.
5,000 airport parking spaces. EV & Hybrid registration is just over 1%. Any given time there 10% of the 5,000 are tied up by EVs. Many airport employees got smart and bought an EV to just part at work.

We're actually about to fly out for a week in October, and I have never heard of this. Can you link any official info about this so that we can be sure it's still in effect?

Sorry, I am not going to try to find official links and posts them. I know its still in effect through this year. I don't remember the date in 2020, but I think its 31 Dec. You can Google Hawaii Revised Statutes and probably find it. This tread did not get started in the Hawaii section, so it's less likely a fellow Hawaii resident will see it. If one does, I predict they will confirm what I say. Every EV owner here knows it, we do a good job of being the first thing we tell a new owner.

You can browse over the the Hawaii section. I think there were a couple of threads from other Hawaii owners/TMC members that talked about it.

They are doing well in Tucson too. Our local club has over 200 members. Not long ago I was driving my "Little Red Car" down toward town when traffic stopped. I looked in my rear view mirror and right behind me was a copy of my own red M3. As I looked forward again another copy passing me in the other direction. In a few seconds I arrived at the light where I saw yet another copy. Four red M3s!

Reactions: vickh and Akikiki
upload_2019-9-23_0-4-29.png

I drew a 9 mile radius around my house. I think I live the absolute farthest possible from any supercharging/destination charging while also being in the city.

So when the registration comes due the the SECOND time after five years owning the Tesla I just bought, am I "grandfathered" in at the original registration rate, or does it go up to the new rate? It looks to me like the registration rate stays the same as long as I own the car. And if I sell the car in 2022 or after, would it then fall under the new registration rate for the new owner?

The way I read it, you are not grandfathered.
I was not aware of the change from 2020 to 2022, so just sold my S to my wife and got a new 5 year plate.
Will sell her the 3 in 2021.