Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are welcome in Arizona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 458054
I drew a 9 mile radius around my house. I think I live the absolute farthest possible from any supercharging/destination charging while also being in the city.
Lol nice try buddy, the East Valley by far has the least amount of options. Two destination chargers that cover basically twenty miles going east, ten miles north and ten miles south. No clue what the actual sq ft is of this area but guaranteed there is way more area and way more Tesla owners with basically no charging options.
Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.47.42 AM.png

Lol nice try buddy, the East Valley by far has the least amount of options. Two destination chargers that cover basically twenty miles going east, ten miles north and ten miles south. No clue what the actual sq ft is of this area but guaranteed there is way more area and way more Tesla owners with basically no charging options. View attachment 458461
I wish they install SC and add a service center in the Chandler-Gilbert area, as the number of Teslas around these EV cities and surrounding grows pretty fast

Also some of the destination chargers are truly destination charger customers only. Not sure if any are truly "public Tesla" in PHX area besides the SCs. I wonder what Tesla's agreement with owner says about that? I guess we could always have a coffee or something if the hotel has a coffee shop.

The HOV access is a federal program and people are still grandfathered in here in AZ for hybrids, EVEN if they buy a new hybrid.
Untrue. I had an HOV plate for a Prius C, and when I traded it for a newer Prius C some years ago, my HOV plate was revoked, because one model year was eligible while another was not. The AZ MVD site list which model-years of hybrids are eligible. I learned this the hard way.

There's a lot of destination chargers in Scottsdale but again, not one super charger

There is a supercharger in Kierland, one in the Scottsale Quarter, and (while not Scottsdale) just down the road at the Biltmore, on Camelback Road.

upload_2019-9-25_10-13-5.png

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Untrue. I had an HOV plate for a Prius C, and when I traded it for a newer Prius C some years ago, my HOV plate was revoked, because one model year was eligible while another was not. The AZ MVD site list which model-years of hybrids are eligible. I learned this the hard way.

There is a supercharger in Kierland, one in the Scottsale Quarter, and (while not Scottsdale) just down the road at the Biltmore, on Camelback Road.

View attachment 458808
Thanks Dope! I've gotten a few that weren't showing now from you guys and have a good list for my next trip to Tempe. I think the Kierland was still gray on my last trip. Updated and duly noted! :)

Reactions: DopeGhoti

View attachment 458808

Ouch about the C : ( I believe it's efficiency/battery range related? Alteast that nudged you along to get the 3. I was worried about that happening with EVs too so I bought the 3 while waiting for the Y

About the SC, another perk is the Scottsale Quarter one is covered. There's a free slow Blink charger if the Teslas are full

The Biltmore one was recently refurbished and I spent some time talking to the tech (who drove out from CA in a minivan!) It has slow Voltas backups

• Informative
View attachment 458054
I drew a 9 mile radius around my house. I think I live the absolute farthest possible from any supercharging/destination charging while also being in the city.

The East valley is just as starved for Superchargers; nothing in Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek, Mesa, or Apache Junction. Come on Tesla, where’s the love?

It would be amazing if Tesla could put up superchargers at Chandler Fashion Mall. It's right off the 101/202 and we have two big Intel campuses, Northrop Grumman, Microchip, NXP, The ASU research park and I'm sure other high paying companies out here. It's crazy that we don't have a supercharging option in this part of the valley, with all the tech companies out here. My closest option is Casa Grande.

I called the MVD to inquire about my plate about 3 weeks after delivery. They told me Tesla had not applied for it yet. I had picked it up in Tempe and they told me I would just have to keep waiting. Went to Scottsdale and told them how unhappy I was that I couldn't drive in the HOV lane. Told me to come back in an hour. My plate was waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Usually they come via USPS straight from the MDV. I've registered three cars in AZ (not counting the M3), and each time the plates arrive just as I'm wondering whom I need to call to get a new temp tag.
My Tesla purchase was the first time I've seen the plates come from somewhere other than MVD. I think Tesla pre-fills a bunch of paperwork or something, MVD sends the plates to them, and they turn around and resend to the buyer. Weird model. Every other vehicle purchase I've made, plates were mailed directly from MVD. My Model 3 plate was shipped from a Tesla's location in CA.

I called the MVD to inquire about my plate about 3 weeks after delivery. They told me Tesla had not applied for it yet. I had picked it up in Tempe and they told me I would just have to keep waiting. Went to Scottsdale and told them how unhappy I was that I couldn't drive in the HOV lane. Told me to come back in an hour. My plate was waiting.

Legally you may not be allowed in the HOV lane with temp tags, but in practice I think it doesn't matter. I got pulled over for speeding with temp tags in the HOV lane...officer didn't mention or cite me for HOV violation.

• Informative