Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are welcome in Arizona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my special blue plate (good for anytime HOV use) and 5-year registration for a grand total of $174.03. The same car (my wife's diesel Audi) costs about $2,500 for 5-year registration. Arizona rocks electric!

IMG_8587.JPG
IMG_1455.JPG

Wasn't aware of the law. Do you know where it is in the ARS?

me neither. Bummer if true and it won't apply to Y. Also, BTW I believe the PS Fee was repealed. Not sure if we will get that back when active? This is why I prefer states like NJ or CA which rebate at purchase or no tax vs future promises. Sales tax is over 8% in AZ, with not much in state services vs high tax states

This thread makes me curious which state is the best for EVs I think CA since gas is highest+rebates. Better charging infrastructure in CA too

Last edited:
Wasn't aware of the law. Do you know where it is in the ARS?
I did but I forgot. It was snuck in in 2018 the same time as the other across the board increases in registration but the electric vehicle slight doesn't take effect until 2020. It occurred right around when the teachers were fighting for more money but before the elections. He obviously was reelected but most did not know of these things being passed through a loophole. It did not go for a public vote as it should... A Mesa legislator wrote it and Ducey signed it into law. That Mesa Legislator was Bob Worsley who drafted the bill. He is a Tesla driver believe it or not! Republicans were trying to find ways of pushing/diverting money around to cover the forced raising of money for teachers. They said this registration money is supposed to go for more police officers in remote areas of the State for highway patrol which is the States DPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fossil Fool
Yay for now. Curious what the new reg. price will be for a 50K Y (if they don't release the SR by then) ?
It gives the formula in the revised statute on what the cost will be. I think I read $4 tax per $100 dollars of new value. So let's say on $50,000 car registration would be $2,000 first year and diminishes a stated percentage each year after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fossil Fool