Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Autopilot - an in depth at the technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's interesting is that mobile eye is taking in significantly more data than what is being exposed by Tesla's AP, for instance, road signs, traffic lights, road obstacles. I'm wondering to what extent the AP is using any of this data in an "unadvertised" way. I was driving up I91 in Connecticut last night when I swear AP swerved to avoid a pothole. Of course it could have been coincidence and I could be reading too much into this. And I certainly don't want to test this hypothesis but intentional hitting pot holes! But I am curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I can certainly understand that even if AP has some of these features Tesla wouldn't make them known due to liability reasons. Perhaps some of these features will be rolled out over the upcoming months and years. There's a lot more AP can do even with the present hardware.

Wow great article. Thanks. This caught my eye...."Previously, the cars possessed a Tegra 3 processor, but all modern Model Xs and Model S cars will have the Nvidia VCM (Visual Computing Module). NVIDIA has a long-standing relationship with many automakers including Audi, Volkswagen and BMW.

As far as I understand, the camera is the main source. I therefore wonder how this is impacted by the reduced sight at night or fog. For instance pedestrians at night sometimes hardly stand out the dark.

Wow great article. Thanks. This caught my eye...."Previously, the cars possessed a Tegra 3 processor, but all modern Model Xs and Model S cars will have the Nvidia VCM (Visual Computing Module). NVIDIA has a long-standing relationship with many automakers including Audi, Volkswagen and BMW.

I wonder if the model X is already equipped with the Nvidia VCM? If it indeed has a stereoscopic camera as has been alluded to in some of the pictures of the Founders model, it could use the extra power...