Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Batteries Cheaper Than Everyone Else's -- Who Knew? (+ Cool EV Battery Charts)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s Batteries Cheaper Than Everyone Else’s — Who Knew? (+ Cool EV Battery Charts)

The International Energy Agency just released a blockbuster report on electric vehicles. Steve noted some interesting facts regarding charging networks unveiled by the report. James highlighted on EV Obsession that EVs are the only key decarbonizing technology that is on pace to keep global warming under 2ºC. And we'll soon repost a great summary article from Carbon Brief on the report. But there's one more interesting highlight EV Annex pulled out of it.

This highlight is one that I've been focusing on for presentations I've given around the world (India, Canada, US, Germany ... and for the people from dozens or >100 countries around the world who read CleanTechnica): Tesla leads the industry in driving down the cost of EV batteries.

From the report: "Key point • The development of battery energy density and cost over the past decade gives encouraging signs on the possibility to meet targets defined by carmakers and the United States Department of Energy."

Notably, though, and as I always point out when discussing Tesla's battery leadership, LG Chem is very close to it, and the Chevy Bolt is one car that is clearly set to benefit from that.

A little more discussion and some other (older) charts follow...

Tesla’s Batteries Cheaper Than Everyone Else’s — Who Knew? (+ Cool EV Battery Charts)

The International Energy Agency just released a blockbuster report on electric vehicles. Steve noted some interesting facts regarding charging networks unveiled by the report. James highlighted on EV Obsession that EVs are the only key decarbonizing technology that is on pace to keep global warming under 2ºC. And we'll soon repost a great summary article from Carbon Brief on the report. But there's one more interesting highlight EV Annex pulled out of it.

This highlight is one that I've been focusing on for presentations I've given around the world (India, Canada, US, Germany ... and for the people from dozens or >100 countries around the world who read CleanTechnica): Tesla leads the industry in driving down the cost of EV batteries.

From the report: "Key point • The development of battery energy density and cost over the past decade gives encouraging signs on the possibility to meet targets defined by carmakers and the United States Department of Energy."

Notably, though, and as I always point out when discussing Tesla's battery leadership, LG Chem is very close to it, and the Chevy Bolt is one car that is clearly set to benefit from that.

A little more discussion and some other (older) charts follow...
Great info! The chart only show Tesla battery cost target in 2020, where does it say about Tesla's cost this year? thanks

where did he say it? I keep up with all the Tesla conference call and don't seem to recall that number.

Don't recall that either. (But my memory is pretty crappy from who knows how many hours of news finding, editing, and writing every day :p)

This is the lowest update I remember at the moment:

Jeff Evanson, VP of Tesla Investor Relations, said Tesla’s all-in pack cost is already below $190/kWh, blowing away the estimates of $260/kWh from UBS.

UBS Analyst Dubs Model 3 Unprofitable, Tesla Responds With Battery Pricing

Reactions: ggnykk