Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Computer Vision Master Plan

jayman

Aug 31, 2013
Illinois
I appreciated the article, thanks for that. Not to be critical but I probably wouldn’t have used Tesla’s self driving demo video as evidence of what this technology can do. That video was obviously faked (or hardcoded if one prefers).

Raechris

Nov 21, 2017
Boston

Mo City

Jul 17, 2016
near Houston
Good read. I'm not against lidar, but agree if it isn't effective in certain weather conditions then you cannot base your self-driving on it.

May 28, 2017
Canada

There's no proof that something weird is going on in Tesla's self driving video. However, the 2016 California disengagement report strongly implies that Tesla simply drove their car over the same course multiple times over a few days, until they got good footage. At the very least, the disengagement report implies that Tesla's system at the time was extremely brittle and would not be able to generalize well to other situations. On top of this, Tesla's Autopilot currently, despite being over a year later, still doesn't display a lot of the capabilities shown in that video.

FlyF4

Son of a MX
Mar 21, 2017
moved to San Diego
Really great article and I certainly agree with all. Nice explanations. I am also in the camp that I believe LIDAR isn't necessary. My eyes don't have it and I've been able to successively navigate for 50 years. :D Cameras and RADAR are good enough as you know. Just a matter of time with the right software.

strangecosmos

Non-Member
May 10, 2017
The Prime Material Plane
There's no proof that something weird is going on in Tesla's self driving video. However, the 2016 California disengagement report strongly implies that Tesla simply drove their car over the same course multiple times over a few days, until they got good footage.

So not faked, just not filmed in one attempt.

On top of this, Tesla's Autopilot currently, despite being over a year later, still doesn't display a lot of the capabilities shown in that video.

Doesn't really have any bearing on whether the video was "faked". A demo is a demo — not a finished commercial product ready to be used by customers. Tesla never said that customers' cars would have full self-driving software in 2018, and it would have been unreasonable to expect that. Elon's optimistic prediction is that Hardware 2 Teslas will be capable of full self-driving by the end of 2019. And of course, there's a good chance it will be later than that.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA

The Imgur picture is too dark and unviewable:

upload_2019-4-26_10-25-27.png

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
Unable to read article:
You’ve reached the end of your free member preview for this month. Become a member now for $5/month to read this story and get unlimited access to all of the best stories on Medium.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC