Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Computer Vision Master Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciated the article, thanks for that. Not to be critical but I probably wouldn’t have used Tesla’s self driving demo video as evidence of what this technology can do. That video was obviously faked (or hardcoded if one prefers).

There's no proof that something weird is going on in Tesla's self driving video. However, the 2016 California disengagement report strongly implies that Tesla simply drove their car over the same course multiple times over a few days, until they got good footage. At the very least, the disengagement report implies that Tesla's system at the time was extremely brittle and would not be able to generalize well to other situations. On top of this, Tesla's Autopilot currently, despite being over a year later, still doesn't display a lot of the capabilities shown in that video.

Really great article and I certainly agree with all. Nice explanations. I am also in the camp that I believe LIDAR isn't necessary. My eyes don't have it and I've been able to successively navigate for 50 years. :D Cameras and RADAR are good enough as you know. Just a matter of time with the right software.

There's no proof that something weird is going on in Tesla's self driving video. However, the 2016 California disengagement report strongly implies that Tesla simply drove their car over the same course multiple times over a few days, until they got good footage.

So not faked, just not filmed in one attempt.

On top of this, Tesla's Autopilot currently, despite being over a year later, still doesn't display a lot of the capabilities shown in that video.

Doesn't really have any bearing on whether the video was "faked". A demo is a demo — not a finished commercial product ready to be used by customers. Tesla never said that customers' cars would have full self-driving software in 2018, and it would have been unreasonable to expect that. Elon's optimistic prediction is that Hardware 2 Teslas will be capable of full self-driving by the end of 2019. And of course, there's a good chance it will be later than that.

The Imgur picture is too dark and unviewable:

upload_2019-4-26_10-25-27.png