Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas - Family /w Teenagers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you like the C40 in general and compared to your Tesla?
The C40 is a pretty nice vehicle. It's basically the same design as other Volvo products inside, so it's feels much more like a traditional car than a Tesla. We got it as my wife's daily commuter (about 60 miles round trip), and it has worked well for that purpose. Because the range is relatively short and there are no real CCS fast charging network around us yet, we haven't really used it as a family car. That duty is much more suitable for my MYP in my opinion.

As far as driving the C40, the drivetrain feel is fairly similar to Tesla, in that it is really smooth and the one-pedal tuning is great (it uses blended braking that's not perceptible at all by me). The suspension is softer and to me personally it feels a bit floaty. But I daily drive the MYP, which seem to rack up ride harshness complaints around these parts, so it's probably not actually that floaty. I'm going to try to take the C40 on a track for a few lap this year and see how it does.

As far as software, Volvo is far behind Tesla in terms of features and responsiveness. However, it does have wired Car Play, so that's sure to please some people.

Overall we've been happy with the C40. I wouldn't use it as a workhorse family car, but as my wife's daily driver, it has worked great, and I enjoy driving it once in a while as a change of pace (and it's pretty fast in its own right).

Reactions: WyoDude
If the Model 2 isn't out in a year, I'll probably get a used i3 Sport for my teen. Luckily her brother transitioned to a built STI w/o issue. That really concerned me for a while, and so I spent a ton of time educating my kid on how to drive, many many hours with a simulator to learn how to drive. It helps to cure the speed itch because the goal becomes about skill not speed. Any rando can floor it, no skill in that. I then transitioned him into Iracing so he's got an outlet for that competition streak. Also, I did keep the car in low boost mode (reduces boost by 50% ie. spring only) for a year w/o telling him, lmao. Little did he know... After a year driving w/o tickets, holding down a job, going to college, no accidents etc I showed him the how to switch boost maps. You should have seen the expression on his face lol. Whaa...?? Anyways with enough training and fear instilled sometimes it works out. /shrugs

My son though (21), bragged at dinner one time that he got the Tesla up to 100 on the freeway, just for fun, and 90 several times. He's done, only drives if we're with him.

I'm sure you thought about it, why didn't you just use the speed restriction mode? Or actually put it in valet mode? I was thinking of letting our grandkids, who get their driver's permits this year, drive my model s. I was definitely going to put the speed restriction mode on it! And maybe force it into chill mode. Thoughts?

I'm sure you thought about it, why didn't you just use the speed restriction mode? Or actually put it in valet mode? I was thinking of letting our grandkids, who get their driver's permits this year, drive my model s. I was definitely going to put the speed restriction mode on it! And maybe force it into chill mode. Thoughts?
Just read up on the some of the pitfalls of an S plus teens. In one case a kid pretended to be his dad and tricked the local SC into removing said limiter and the rest is bad news.

We really need a new mode, like call it teen mode locked into chill mode with an upper speed limit or something.

Would you let your teenage kids to drive super car acceleration capable cars? I absolutely would not! Not that I don't trust them, but it takes only one wrong decision and that day might/could be the last day you see them.
Yes I would and did. E class Mercedes at the time and the other car a huge Toyota SUV. Responsible and careful drivers all times and he had no issues. YMMV (guess it did!)

We have a leaf for the kids, but y 16 year old drives our model S or model 3 when necessary (3 cars, family of 4 drivers). She prefers the 3 over the S due to size. She does have to use the fob for the S but has the app for the 3. She uses chill mode.

Teslafi I can even playback any if get drives and see the speed she was driving.