Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Flagship Vehicles Updated With Quicker 0-60 Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla delivered this week additional performance to its flagship vehicles, improving the 0-60 mph times of both the Models S and Model X.

The Model S Performance sedan and Model X Performance SUV will now accelerate from a stop to 60 mph in just 2.3 and 2.6 seconds, respectively.

That’s cutting two-tenths of a second from the Model S time and a tenth of a second from the Model X time. It’s another example of Tesla’s incredible ability to tune vehicles via software updates.

The improvement has been tied to another new feature from Tesla dubbed “Cheetah Stance” that lowers the front of the car to gain greater traction and likely speed.

Tesla is also reportedly planning to bring the new “Plaid” Model S and Model X to market by the end of the year, which are expected to be incredibly quick. These cars will pack an extra electric motor, bringing the total to three, and a bigger battery pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
2018 November build P100DL
I got the message!
Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 9.20.57 PM.jpeg

I just assumed Tesla was going to phase out the S/X line as they ramp up the 3/Y line and newer cars built on the latest tech
Do model 3 owners really think the entry level budget tesla is the flagship? Someone posted that the model S is the flagship and got a bunch of downvotes. Is this for real?

And yeah I'm sure tesla will phase out the Model S now that the model 3 is here. Just like Mercedes audi and BMW did getting rid of the S class, a8 and 7 series once they made the b class, A3 and 2 series available to allow the budget constrained folks to buy in. Oh wait...

Last edited:
Yeah, so is my P100D. I’m unhappy about it, at least keep the car close to where it used to be new Tesla. At the same time I understand that this technology is still fairly new and probably difficult to know exactly what we all are getting into long term, in regards to longevity and repeatable performance.

I know this is old, but I have a question; I have a S P100D from April 2018, and didnt get the mail about this. But Launch Mode is new isnt it? I have only tried to heat up the battery to Ludicrus+ maybe two times, and wonder if Launch Mode is something I have missed completely before, or if its new? It sure feels faster than a normal "pedal to the metal" start.:)

I know this is old, but I have a question; I have a S P100D from April 2018, and didnt get the mail about this. But Launch Mode is new isnt it? I have only tried to heat up the battery to Ludicrus+ maybe two times, and wonder if Launch Mode is something I have missed completely before, or if its new? It sure feels faster than a normal "pedal to the metal" start.:)

Launch mode has been around for a long time, but they made it simpler to use with this firmware. It used to be a much more complicated sequence to activate.

Do model 3 owners really think the entry level budget tesla is the flagship? Someone posted that the model S is the flagship and got a bunch of downvotes. Is this for real?

And yeah I'm sure tesla will phase out the Model S now that the model 3 is here. Just like Mercedes audi and BMW did getting rid of the S class, a8 and 7 series once they made the b class, A3 and 2 series available to allow the budget constrained folks to buy in. Oh wait...

Agreed. Tesla would never discontinue and stop supporting a more expensive vehicle like the original roadster after introducing a cheaper car like the Model S.

Oh wait, nevermind. That is exactly what they did.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Purpose of the Roadster was to gain expertise and raise funds to develop Model S. Did it's job and moved on.

Roadster served it's purpose and the company moved on. They realized that buying another companies gas car and converting it to electric drive was not the best way forward. People still love those cars.

Agreed. Tesla would never discontinue and stop supporting a more expensive vehicle like the original roadster after introducing a cheaper car like the Model S.

Oh wait, nevermind. That is exactly what they did.

In fairness, the Roadster was built on someone else's platform - that was reaching the end of life because it wouldn't meet upcoming crash regulations at the time.

Reactions: ChadS
Purpose of the Roadster was to gain expertise and raise funds to develop Model S. Did it's job and moved on.

Roadster served it's purpose and the company moved on. They realized that buying another companies gas car and converting it to electric drive was not the best way forward. People still love those cars.

True but the purpose of the model S was to fund the model 3. just like the purpose of the roadster was to fund the Model S. That has now been achieved so I guess the model S is no longer needed just like the roadster was no longer needed.

The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)
Without giving away too much, I can say that the second model will be a sporty four door family car at roughly half the $89k price point of the Tesla Roadster and the third model will be even more affordable. In keeping with a fast growing technology company, all free cash flow is plowed back into R&D to drive down the costs and bring the follow on products to market as fast as possible. When someone buys the Tesla Roadster sports car, they are actually helping pay for development of the low cost family car.

Master Plan, Part Deux
first master plan that I wrote 10 years ago is now in the final stages of completion. It wasn't all that complicated and basically consisted of:

Create a low volume car, which would necessarily be expensive
Use that money to develop a medium volume car at a lower price
Use that money to create an affordable, high volume car

I certainly hope they do not cancel the S and X. But if they did it shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

I mean I get it. I had to briefly drive a Model S when my Model 3 was being serviced, and I see the appeal. It's old fashioned, stodgy... it is comforting in it's Buick-like appearance

upload_2020-5-13_21-21-7.png

Then I got back into my Model 3, and it felt like the FUTURE

upload_2020-5-13_21-22-45.png

I am sure Tesla will continue to support you and your old, venerable Model S... until they run out of parts I guess...??

;-)

(Before you hit that thumbs down... don't you mean to hit funny?)

I mean I get it. I had to briefly drive a Model S when my Model 3 was being serviced, and I see the appeal. It's old fashioned, stodgy... it is comforting in it's Buick-like appearance

View attachment 541598

View attachment 541599

I am sure Tesla will continue to support you and your old, venerable Model S... until they run out of parts I guess...??

;-)

Thank god for Buicks. LOL

View attachment 541598

View attachment 541599

;-)

Plaid Model 3? Unlikely.

My P90DL , "flagship" of 2016... Is only getting "planned obsolescence" lately, as new features are scarce, and all we get is worse low-temperature regen restrictions, and slower charging.

I have a 2016 P90D as well. It's a 4 year old car, and I'm still getting new features pushed to it. Granted, not many that I will actually use (I find all these games and stuff to be silly), but still....I paid for the car years ago, and they're still giving me new stuff? That's pretty awesome.

In every other car I've purchased, once I drove it off the lot, it was already "mature," and no upgrades or updates came from the manufacturer other than safety recalls.

I also bought the car knowing they'd only been making vehicles for a couple years, and that as an "early adopter" my version of tech would be outdated quickly. But it's still one of the fastest vehicles on the road, I don't have to pay to charge it, and I have free data for life.

So, I'll take any free upgrades that come at me, because the fact that Tesla is still throwing little tweaks at me after 4 years of no additional revenue from me....that's pretty cool.