Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas for Females - Practicality vs Fun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A) For various reasons (no desire to get into it), single women have lower incomes than single men. Even among highly successful professionals, at least the ones I know, they are less likely to spend money on a car.
Everyone signals "success" in different ways, but women also don't seem to buy high-end watches.

B) Most "moms" buy SUVs. So far, Tesla has one, rather expensive one, with odd doors.

C) There's something about the needing to charge, I think, vs. being able to just fill up and go. Not sure, but I think there's something there, based on a few women I talked to about it.

Last edited:
Don't know, what do you think? Not sure how that is part of a discussion on how to market Teslas (or EVs) to women though. I don't think any woman, be she dressed for business or casual day with the kids or a friend, would feel that gasoline wears like perfume.

Probably safe to say that there are more men than wormen working on cars and getting all kinds of automotive odors on them handling parts. My dad use to come in from working on his car smelling like an oil change, carborator cleaning, etc and ended up smelling like Lava soap while he tried to get the odors off of him. Not sure if that was better.

I realize this is likely a statistical anomaly but in our house I am the gear head, used to be the one doing all the routine service etc on "the fleet"

Though I can realize these statistic, gender (or other bias type) stories like this one alway irk me..

Edit - did you know you can get hand cleaner in cherry "flavor"

GOJO Product

Reactions: Zigzagmolly
I realize this is likely a statistical anomaly but in our house I am the gear head, used to be the one doing all the routine service etc on "the fleet"

Though I can realize these statistic, gender (or other bias type) stories like this one alway irk me..

Edit - did you know you can get hand cleaner in cherry "flavor"

GOJO Product

LOL No didn't know. But it does sound more like something a woman would be more interested in buying. Can't picture my dad chosing a cherry scented hand cleaner LOL.

As a long time car enthusiast, across many brands and styles, this is the first brand that has a large female car club with women owner/drivers (Tesla Divas). Typically I’d be the only female at car events. That’s a significant accomplishment to inspire women to want to care for and customize their cars. It was a poorly researched article, in my opinion. Using title information isn’t super accurate.

Thanks cool. Maybe Tesla Divas deserves to be spotlighted on some EV publication or such in response to this article.

As a long time car enthusiast, across many brands and styles, this is the first brand that has a large female car club with women owner/drivers (Tesla Divas). Typically I’d be the only female at car events. That’s a significant accomplishment to inspire women to want to care for and customize their cars.
I just joined the Tesla Divas group on Facebook after reading one of the comments on this article! Yeah!!
And tomorrow I am going to my first event. Of the 11 going, at least 5 are women!

State Farm: $501.06 / 6 mos

State Farm seems to be a good bet for Tesla insurance. Here in NJ, my renewal just came in — $455.46/6 mos. It’s down slightly from the Cadillac I replaced.

Full coverage, $250k/$500k/$100k limits. $500 collision, $100 comprehensive deductible.

No sense shopping around with those kind of rates ...

B) Most "moms" buy SUVs. So far, Tesla has one, rather expensive one, with odd doors.

C) There's something about the needing to charge, I think, vs. being able to just fill up and go. Not sure, but I think there's something there, based on a few women I talked to about it.

B) is the biggest issue for us. My wife’s got a Buick Enclave, and even Model X isn’t a direct 1:1 replacement for it. That Buick is downright cavernous, and quite a nice vehicle .... for 20th century technology, anyway. Replacing it will wait - the falcon wing doors on X are a major turnoff. Something Tesla along the size of Rivian’s SUV prototype would be nice.

And C) was a major bone of contention ... until we actually got our Model 3. One of my wife’s big complaints beforehand was how to deal with the charging and “some big ugly cord all over the driveway.” It’s proven to be a total non-issue; and she’s even praised how great it is to have a full charge ever single morning. That said - this is likely one of those “once you actually experience it you realize it’s not even a thing” kind of things. Keep in mind - we live in NJ. My wife’s never filled a gas tank in her life.

I really should write down some of the pre-purchase perceptions and objections, and compare them to the reality of it all. Not everything is 100% perfect (the darn wiper controls ... :) but the positives have far, far outweighed the negatives.

I think the buying process is more catered to men than women.
Add to that the complexities of charging a car rather than going to a gas station and you have an answer much more valid than women not liking the CEO. I really don’t think that matters at all.

To truly become main stream Tesla will need to spend their marketing dollars more on public education of their process, charging and safety than on touting performance.
What complexities are you referring to when it comes to charging? Plugging it in when you get home is not a difficult concept to grasp. Personally I felt the article was ignorant and degrading. The title alone told me it was click bait.

Reactions: Msjulie
I FINALLY stopped saying, "gas pedal". Now I have to remember to say "motor", not engine!
These are terms that are ingrained from years of use. I still say gas pedal all the time. Really when it comes down to it, we all understand what is being said, does it really matter which term is used. Maybe to the super EV nerds who have to let everyone know that they drive an electric vehicle....sure yeah, but to us every day people not so much.

As a long time car enthusiast, across many brands and styles, this is the first brand that has a large female car club with women owner/drivers (Tesla Divas). Typically I’d be the only female at car events. That’s a significant accomplishment to inspire women to want to care for and customize their cars. It was a poorly researched article, in my opinion. Using title information isn’t super accurate.
Well, if I google for "female car club" there are actually quite a few coming up. But you can't extrapolate from that to the general buying population. I can't verify their numbers, but just from my own (anecdotal) experience I don't find it hard to believe that Teslas are overwhelmingly bought by men.

I don't buy the article's logic at all.

While the folks I've met through the forum and EV meetups do skew heavily male, the folks that I've known that are now Tesla owners are a very different story.

Of six Teslas where I know the owners personally not from this forum, one is very definitely his car. Another is the sole car of a couple living together.

The other four are all definitely her car, though he sometimes gets to drive it in some cases.

my wife loved our new model 3 so much I had to go buy her one. (both of our names are registered on both cars, so not sure how that might count in a survey.)

That being said, there is something to the article, and something to so-called 'chick cars', which tend towards the 'cute' design side. Think VW Cabriolet, Jetta, or the revised Beetle, which even came with a vase and flower; what car guy is gonna go looking for a car with a flower in it?. Or, the mini-cooper.

The Ultimate Guy and Chick Cars of All Time

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
What complexities are you referring to when it comes to charging? Plugging it in when you get home is not a difficult concept to grasp. Personally I felt the article was ignorant and degrading. The title alone told me it was click bait.
A lot of folks don’t realize there’s a supercharger network or how inexpensive it is. I get asked these questions all the time by people interested in the cars. Tesla owners tend to think everyone knows this stuff but there’s still not many around and people don’t know.

Reactions: ivy_