Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas for Females - Practicality vs Fun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What complexities are you referring to when it comes to charging? Plugging it in when you get home is not a difficult concept to grasp. Personally I felt the article was ignorant and degrading. The title alone told me it was click bait.

For one who (except for EV owners) has a 240 outlet in their garage or outside their house where they park?
That adds a level of complexity compared to a gas car. Plugging into it a regular outlet gets you no where.

Outside of California and maybe some areas where charging stations are common, the general public is only vaguely aware of their existence.

The fear of running out of a charge and left stranded is likely something women as a whole fear more than men (where or not the fear is justified is not relevant)

I have test driven the Kia Niro EV and the Hyundai Kona EV locally and even the sales people I have talked to / driven with were clueless about how the current rebates worked, the benefits of less maintenance, that you need a prearranged solution in your house to even buy “one today”. They were not women so off topic but I think men as a whole are more likely be early adopters for car technologies and electric cars are still foreign to the majority of the population in the US (California could be an exception)

Now once women drive it, I think that changes and looks wise I think it very much would appeal to both sexes.
Generally speaking I do see most women 35 and older owned expensive vehicles being SUV’s more than sedans or sports cars. Tesla appeals to both sexes in the 20-34 age range but is out of the budget for most of them I imagine.

Last edited:
For one who (except for EV owners) has a 240 outlet in their garage or outside their house where they park?
That adds a level of complexity compared to a gas car. Plugging into it a regular outlet gets you no where.

Outside of California and maybe some areas where charging stations are common, the general public is only vaguely aware of their existence.

The fear of running out of a charge and left stranded is likely something women as a whole fear more than men (where or not the fear is justified is not relevant)

I have test driven the Kia Niro EV and the Hyundai Kona EV locally and even the sales people I have talked to / driven with were clueless about how the current rebates worked, the benefits of less maintenance, that you need a prearranged solution in your house to even buy “one today”. They were not women so off topic but I think men as a whole are more likely be early adopters for car technologies and electric cars are still foreign to the majority of the population in the US (California could be an exception)

Now once women drive it, I think that changes and looks wise I think it very much would appeal to both sexes.
Generally speaking I do see most women 35 and older owned expensive vehicles being SUV’s more than sedans or sports cars. Tesla appeals to both sexes in the 20-34 age range but is out of the budget for most of them I imagine.
Wow. Your comments clearly illustrate what I am saying about that article being sexist. So According to your statement, women are more likely to have range anxiety than men. Nice. Also your comment about 240v is really not an issue. Takes a phone call and a few hundred dollars to fix that.

A lot of folks don’t realize there’s a supercharger network or how inexpensive it is. I get asked these questions all the time by people interested in the cars. Tesla owners tend to think everyone knows this stuff but there’s still not many around and people don’t know.
Well I have to say it does surprise me when people don’t research before buying. Hell I do that with everything, especially big purchases.

Wow. Your comments clearly illustrate what I am saying about that article being sexist. So women are more likely to have range anxiety than men. Nice. Also your comment about 240v is really not an issue. Takes a phone call and a few hundred dollars to fix that.

I did not find the article to be well written and it did come across as sexist
Does not surprise me the source was USA Today.
At the same time I agree with the points that money must be spent to educate the public on the technology for the brand to become mainstream

If sales are mostly male than they need to target females with above education based advertising

And yes call me sexist if you want but I do feel women (age 35 and older) are more likely to have range/breakdown related anxiety more so than men. Assuming both groups are not aware of all of the places to get a charge.

As far as a phone call and a couple hundred bucks that is just not true for many who have circuit breakers in the basement or don’t have the space for the open circuit on their breaker.
The installation needs to be done by a professional electrician and can take weeks to get it scheduled and done, costs aside.
That all takes research which is not part of gasoline car buying.
It would surprise me if for most new technology the majority of early adopters are not men. Right now an all electric car does still feel like an early adopter type clientele. That will change in time as it does with any technology even without money spend on educational based advertising.

Tesla’s business model of ordering and waiting a few weeks actually makes the electrician aspect less of an issue, so I see the bigger brands actually struggling more with that when trying to sell their cars off the lot.

Last edited:
I did not find the article to be well written and it did come across as sexist
Does not surprise me the source was USA Today.
At the same time I agree with the points that money must be spent to educate the public on the technology for the brand to become mainstream

If sales are mostly male than they need to target females with above education based advertising

And yes call me sexist if you want but I do feel women (age 35 and older) are more likely to have range/breakdown related anxiety more so than men. Assuming both groups are not aware of all of the places to get a charge.

As far as a phone call and a couple hundred bucks that is just not true for many who have circuit breakers in the basement or don’t have the space for the open circuit on their breaker.
The installation needs to be done by a professional electrician and can take weeks to get it scheduled and done, costs aside.
That all takes research which is not part of gasoline car buying.
It would surprise me if for most new technology the majority of early adopters are not men. Right now an all electric car does still feel like an early adopter type clientele. That will change in time as it does with any technology even without money spend on educational based advertising.

Tesla’s business model of ordering and waiting a few weeks actually makes the electrician aspect less of an issue, so I see the bigger brands actually struggling more with that when trying to sell their cars off the lot.
Yeah unless you have data to back your claim you are making a random statement based on how you view women. Sure it’s more difficult to install a charger in your garage than it is to go to a gas station. And yeah you have to research, but I expect anyone dropping $50k + on a car to perform a little research beforehand.

A couple of things to consider as a female interested in buying a Tesla.

1. Charging, during day time it's a non-issue. At night, you are stopped at a gas station for 5 minutes, there are many gas stations, they all have cameras, you can pick one that makes you feel better. Superchargers, not so much. You are there for an hour. Some superchargers get scary at night. And you can't get in the car and drive away in a rush in an emergency because you are plugged in. I love driving at night because it's just quieter and peaceful.

2. Tire flat, Tesla does not come with a spare tire. In fairness many others don't either. But quite a few do. The big difference though is, for S and especially X, the tire replacement is incredibly hard to find, if you get a flat and need someone to get you a new tire. I once had this issue with my X .. 22" tire, in that size - good luck finding a replacement in Kentucky, I was stuck for 2 days before my car was able to move again .. and the car was discharging in a motel 8 parking lot .. fun. I would venture to guess that Model 3 doesn't have this issue. But still, flat tires are not fun if you don't have a spare. I carried a goo filler thing + tire pump kit, to get me to the next town going forward.

On the plus side though, the car has plenty of space and is fun to drive. So for in town driving in a safe neighborhood, it's wonderful.

And might I ask which insurance company you have? Mine is with Mercury who kept it close when I sold my'03 Silverado 1500 LT and all things the same only went up $400 / 6 mos. For a car that got 5 stars in every safety test it ever took, even the small increase seems out of line
I'm with you! I love my 3 and my wife who is NOT a car chick absolutely loves the look and the ride. Even better is how safe she feels, finally, when I drive! :p

I love my model 3. USA is Fake news. Big corporation that have other huge corporations advertising with them. Follow the money. How many corporations do more advertising with mainstream media than car manufacturers and dealers? Not many. Tesla does nothing with the old mainstream media. Mostly twitter and youtube. And still no advertising on those 2 platforms. Just real people raving about their experiences with their Tesla cars. And Elon tweeting. Steve Jobs reinvented the mobile phone and Elon Musk is reinventing the automobile.

I love my model 3. USA is Fake news. Big corporation that have other huge corporations advertising with them. Follow the money. How many corporations do more advertising with mainstream media than car manufacturers and dealers? Not many. Tesla does nothing with the old mainstream media. Mostly twitter and youtube. And still no advertising on those 2 platforms. Just real people raving about their experiences with their Tesla cars. And Elon tweeting. Steve Jobs reinvented the mobile phone and Elon Musk is reinventing the automobile.

Sorry, USA Today

What a bunch of idiotic claptrap. I reads like "women only want" "women can't think for themselves" "women think Elon is yucky" "women can't appreciate technology they just want practical". Good thing "women" can buy what they want with their own money. Good thing it's 2019 and not 1920. And the methods used to determine ownership are flawed.

Reactions: jerry33
My wife put down a deposit for Model X 4 years before available. Based on Elon Musk, Model S and her common sense. Number 495. She insisted on all the cool features that we use. Over 90K miles and still a blast. We need to remove gender from description of who is attracted to Tesla. Simply, anyone who loves to drive, wants quality and wants to minimize impact on environment.

Clickbait. Not only does he state women shouldn't be treated monolithically while doing just that, he cites analysts and gives no link to the raw data or the methodology used. It's unclear whether the registration statistics take into account cars registered under two names, how it compares to registrations of cars in general, or whether their conclusions controlled for any economic factors.

That said, if the decision had been solely up to me when we bought our 3, I most likely would have gone with the Leaf or Bolt. The main thing the 3 has going for it over those is that it's larger, and we'd come from a compact that was fine for two people but cramped adding a kid. Everything else is just gravy. Nice, but gravy.