Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas for Females - Practicality vs Fun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my wife is in the practical camp by herself. When I say something like "Do you think you would like a Tesla/" I hear comments like "My Toyota is fine. We already have one big spender in the family. I don't need to be another one!" And then says something about not liking the lesser expensive interior of the model 3 anyway. That's where I stop the conversation and don't risk asking why, but I think I know what she does not like about it. I guess I should be thankful that she watches the money more than I do.

She's not alone. We'd been planning to switch to an EV anyway, but if it had been solely up to me I'd have gone for the cheaper cars over the 3. For the vast majority of things that *I* use it for, something half the price would do just as well. Of course, I would most likely have spent the leftover money on art, so you can decide whether or not that counts as practical. :) If I still drove the same way or as often as I did twenty years ago, I'd have been a lot more interested in the 3. When the spouse drives it they use and enjoy the extra features, so I don't mind having spent the extra money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
And might I ask which insurance company you have? Mine is with Mercury who kept it close when I sold my'03 Silverado 1500 LT and all things the same only went up $400 / 6 mos. For a car that got 5 stars in every safety test it ever took, even the small increase seems out of line
I'm with you! I love my 3 and my wife who is NOT a car chick absolutely loves the look and the ride. Even better is how safe she feels, finally, when I drive! :p
My GEICO insurance went sky high. I have a good driving record. The GEICO guy said its because the car is expensive. Nothing to do with my driving record or the high ratings for it's safety features.

I FINALLY stopped saying, "gas pedal". Now I have to remember to say "motor", not engine!
I am a big fan of the "less maintenance" system. I am a retired Coast Guard Aircraft Mechanic / Aircrew Member (21 years), we maintained and crewed on our aircraft so I am comfortable doing most of my own maintenance on the former ICE car. I have found other things to do rather than change oil, brake pads, catalytic converters, radiators, alternators........get the picture. I use this as a motivating point to my female co-workers and friends as why they should consider going EV, who likes pumping gas and checking the oil on a cold and blustery or hot and dusty day or in a "frog strangling rain" not my idea of fun.

I disagree: Saturn did it first and won a lot of female buyers with the no-negotiation sales. Going into a Tesla dealer is stress-free and no pressure. And if you can remember to plug in your phone every night, same with your car. And does Tesla use any marketing dollars? I've never seen an ad.

I agree about going to a Tesla dealer being an experience that likely appeals to females.
Unfortunately they seem to be closing dealerships not opening more and my opinion was based on buying sight unseen online compared to test driving and buying at a dealership like other brands.
Depending where you live Tesla may offer this

My GEICO insurance went sky high. I have a good driving record. The GEICO guy said its because the car is expensive. Nothing to do with my driving record or the high ratings for it's safety features.

A buddy who used to work in the insurance industry told me to shop around when insuring electric. He said not every insurance company "gets" electric vehicles. You'd think the safety ratings would help, but if not, move on. I myself can't consider GEICO since they were caught red-handed giving radar guns to police departments for issuing tickets/raising premiums, and since a big percentage of your premium pays for all their annoying advertising.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
I agree about going to a Tesla dealer being an experience that likely appeals to females.
Unfortunately they seem to be closing dealerships not opening more and my opinion was based on buying sight unseen online compared to test driving and buying at a dealership like other brands.
Depending where you live Tesla may offer this

Right, and if you can buy a car online, sight unseen, anybody can. My brother-in-law told me, "Do NOT go into a Tesla dealer unless you are prepared to buy a Tesla." In fact, I was sold on Tesla before setting foot in the dealer, 20 seconds into the drive he took me on.

• Love
Reactions: Zigzagmolly
Add to that the complexities of charging a car rather than going to a gas station and you have an answer much more valid than women not liking the CEO.
I hope you're being funny. The complexity of plugging a car in overnight in your garage is somehow greater than driving blocks, miles, to a gas station where you pump explosive liquid into your tank to end up smelling like a refinery?? My wifey says no one better touch HER car. License is "MILLI'S 3" At 75m she's never pumped gas, but has no qualms about plugging in. "It's like my vacuum cleaner." Something a man may not understand. She's never met Elon, doesn't feel the need.

Right, and if you can buy a car online, sight unseen, anybody can. My brother-in-law told me, "Do NOT go into a Tesla dealer unless you are prepared to buy a Tesla." In fact, I was sold on Tesla before setting foot in the dealer, 20 seconds into the drive he took me on.

I never test drove my Tesla. I put the $1000 down as soon as the option became available. Got a couple email around last Thanksgiving advising me of the tax credit reduction after the first of the year. I had ridden in a couple of Teslas my doctor co-workers had. And one of them had just bought a Model 3 RWD and showed me the details of driving while taking me to one of our clinics for an event. He also has a Model X. And then I researched the heck out of it! So on Thanksgiving night, I ordered my car. Such serendipity! I got exactly what I wanted. LR, AWD, Autopilot. It was ready the NEXT WEEK! My doc friend, Josh, met me and my son at the dealer and I had my car in less then 30 minutes!

I asked my son to drive it to a parking lot so I could practice before driving 50 miles home. I drove it a couple of blocks and then I took the Telsa and he followed me home. 2 miles into the drive, I thought.."OMG, I am going to have to slow down or I am going to get a speeding ticket for the first time in my life!! This is an amazing car!". And then I turned on the music full blast and was in total heaven!! And obviously still am!!

Yesterday, I went to my first meet up with some members of the Tesla Owners Club of Portland and won a sign in a drawing. I put it above my desk at work. I had to add Zigzag though I might be the only Tesla owner in Zigzag...for now!

Tesla Owners Portland sign.jpg

Why Tesla 'has a problem appealing to women': Electric cars, Elon Musk may be off-putting

I had to comment on this article!!

Seriously!!! It is the most practical car I have ever purchased. I live 47 miles from work and used to pay $8-$10 a day in gas in my Camry Hybrid. Not anymore! I bought my Model 3 LR AWD in Dec, 2018 and have over 11,000 miles on it. Service it? nope...no oil, no anti-freeze.

Let me tell you the practicality of it:
I HAD "gas pedal" knee from driving so much. Severe pain in my knee. NO pain now as of the 47 miles to work and 47 miles back, the CAR DRIVES ME for 44 of those miles each way. I told my Physical Therapist to prescribe a Tesla for patients with this condition! You know how I control acceleration and deceleration??? With a tiny scroll wheel on the steering wheel!!

Then there is the 60mph in 3.0 seconds. Wow! No delay when I need to change lanes or get in front of someone. It is amazing! When I actually do use the accelerator and the steering wheel it is an amazing experience. So easy to drive! Handles so well. And I live in Zigzag, OR up on Mt. Hood and this car has AWD. Only need to use my Highlander when the snow is really deep. And there are two engines. If one goes out, I have another one. And 360 degree sensors let me know what is around me and warns me of any dangers and prevents me from running into things.
Then there is the space! An HUGE trunk and a frunk! I have filled the car with my relatives, went to Costco and was amazed at how much stuff I could fit in this car.

Safety?...it is the safest car out there. My insurance company thinks so, too as my premium is amazingly low.

Now for the FUN!
OMG!!! 14 speakers, a sub-woofer and immersive sound! I am seriously in heaven! While the car is driving me, I am clapping my hands to the music. And while I am getting my free supercharging for 9 months, I search for the best songs from the 60's and 70"s and add them to my Spotify Tesla WOWs! playlist.

Heated seats throughout the car, an amazing vent system, it remembers who I am and moves my seats and mirrors to where I want them as soon as I get in the car. It has a web browser on the 15 inch monitor. And it has video games, a fireplace with heat coming from the vents, etc, etc.

And my current favorite activity: I am a stop light next to a sports car or huge Dodge RAM truck with my windows down and blasting my music. The vehicle next to me revs their motor. The light turns green and in 3 secs I am a quarter mile ahead of them!!!
I am a 64 yr old lady raising my teenage grandkids and this vehicle is saving my physical and mental health!! How's that for practicality!!

What insurance company in Oregon? Thanks, Huck

"But it’s particularly troubling for Tesla, which is facing significant pressure to jolt sales amid concerns among investors that interest in the company’s electric vehicles is peaking." :rolleyes:
"Worries about the practicality of electric cars – notably the fact that they can run out of a charge" Can't happen with ICE! :rolleyes:
" a distaste for the macho image projected by Tesla CEO Elon Musk are among the reasons why the company is struggling to sell vehicles to women":rolleyes:
"Women less likely to buy ..." any luxury automotive brand in the chart accompanying the article. :rolleyes:

Running out of charge should not be an issue. There are more super charger stations every month and commercial level 2 charging outlets, the car’s navigation software will identify charging points and monitor the SOC ( State of charge). Every woman who has seen the styling and interior design of my car has commented on it. Since it doesn’t use gas, you can’t spill gasoline on shoes or clothing.

My wife drives a model S and loves it (would prefer an X if used ones were affordable). She was relucant to go Tesla until I bought my 3, then I found her driving it every other day last winter. I think women (and men) need to be educated on the user experience of going electric. In my opinion, it takes about a week to get comfortable driving a Tesla (regen, interface controlling all functions but windows, charing, etc), and about a month to realize you'll never go back to a gas car!

Side note - in my area of NJ, I see plenty of women driving model 3's. In certain affluent communities, the Model 3 is no different than the Honda Civic in terms of driver demographics.

That USA Today article was useless. They interviewed 2 women... and declared women don’t like Elon Musk cuz he’s too “macho” lmfao. Ok. They’re really reaching for BS now. Also, I’m sick of seeing graphs with no numbers. WHAT are you measuring? This is not journalism. Did this guy go to school for this? Someone go take his degree away, please.

Anyway, I’m a lady. I’m really happy with my Model S. I know a lot of women who are shareholders and Tesla owners. I think Elon Musk is doing great. I LOVE that Tesla spends NO money on advertising, I agree that it would be a waste of time and every owner is a walking advertisement, the product sells itself. I don’t care that Elon Musk “sipped” on a marijuana cigarette, and didn’t even inhale, on Joe Rogan’s podcast in CA where weed is legal. And I’m glad he called that guy a “pedo” in response to the diver saying Elon could “shove his submarine up his arse” when Elon offered it to help recuse the boys from that cave. I think it was an appropriate response, given the circumstances. People writing these articles like to continually reference what Elon said and fail to mention that there was a back and forth and that the diver is the one who started the *sugar* talking.

Anyway, at my Tesla service center, most of the service advisors are women, that is not typical of that position across other brands in the automotive industry. I am a service advisor for a different brand and I’m the only female. If anything I’d say it’s other car manufacturers that have trouble being inclusive towards women. I think overall, woman are typically less knowledgeable or interested in cars than men are. When it’s said that women make the majority of vehicle purchasing decisions (that does not mean they are the ones actually making the purchase or that the car is registered in their name, btw) and that they decide things based on practicality, I wonder what criteria they are considering. To me it seems to be, is it safe? Does it meet my family’s needs? And can we afford it? I’d say Tesla is killing it in the first 2 categories and only missing on the 3rd but that’s only if you are looking at the purchase price and not the true cost of ownership. You can get a used S or X with free supercharging and a CPO warranty that beats the new vehicle warranty on “affordable family brands” and you’ll be set. It’s like having “free gas” for life. I don’t think people with kids realize how much storage space there is in these cars. Plus, they are S3XY!

Tesla is very appealing to women as well as men, in my opinion. I’ll reiterate, I work for another brand, one which offers an employee discount and an EV with comparable range and I bought a Tesla for twice the price. That was an informed and practical decision on my part.

That USA Today article was useless. They interviewed 2 women... and declared women don’t like Elon Musk cuz he’s too “macho” lmfao. Ok. They’re really reaching for BS now. Also, I’m sick of seeing graphs with no numbers. WHAT are you measuring? This is not journalism. Did this guy go to school for this? Someone go take his degree away, please.
You sure got that right. Here's a true story: I told my female friend that I was going to reserve my M3 the minute the website was open to take M3 reservations (April 2017.) She says, "I think Elon Musk is a genius and I'd love to own one of the new Teslas." This was coming from a woman that thought my Leaf was a joke and said she'd never own an electric car unless it could go over 200 miles on a charge. Of course, I pointed out we were buying sight unseen (another thing she'd never done with a car) and there was no guarantee the car would be any good. She said she had faith in Musk and Tesla and asked me if I could loan her the deposit and reserve two of them instead just one for me. Now we both own fully loaded M3 LR RWDs. Her's is red and mine is midnight silver. So, I agree. That story is junk. And, our faith was justified. The M3 is better than anything we could have hoped for. I truly believe that only Musk could have got the M3 into mass production and save Tesla in the summer of 2018.

• Love
You sure got that right. Here's a true story: I told my female friend that I was going to reserve my M3 the minute the website was open to take M3 reservations (April 2017.) She says, "I think Elon Musk is a genius and I'd love to own one of the new Teslas." This was coming from a woman that thought my Leaf was a joke and said she'd never own an electric car unless it could go over 200 miles on a charge. Of course, I pointed out we were buying sight unseen (another thing she'd never done with a car) and there was no guarantee the car would be any good. She said she had faith in Musk and Tesla and asked me if I could loan her the deposit and reserve two of them instead just one for me. Now we both own fully loaded M3 LR RWDs. Her's is red and mine is midnight silver. So, I agree. That story is junk. And, our faith was justified. The M3 is better than anything we could have hoped for. I truly believe that only Musk could have got the M3 into mass production and save Tesla in the summer of 2018.
Correction it was April 2016! Yikes how time has flown!

A buddy who used to work in the insurance industry told me to shop around when insuring electric. He said not every insurance company "gets" electric vehicles. You'd think the safety ratings would help, but if not, move on. I myself can't consider GEICO since they were caught red-handed giving radar guns to police departments for issuing tickets/raising premiums, and since a big percentage of your premium pays for all their annoying advertising.
Good to know. Thanks

Why do people think safety ratings affect insurance rates? Why would they care if you're injured or not? Unless you're purchasing personal injury insurance there's no reason for them to care. All the care about is how often a car gets into accidents multiplied by how much it costs to repair.

As far as I'm aware, Tesla's active safety features aren't significantly better at preventing accidents compared to other manufacturers, but their excellent passive safety features significantly improve safety but make the car a lot costlier to repair. This is probably what insurance companies are thinking.