Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas for Females - Practicality vs Fun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people think safety ratings affect insurance rates? Why would they care if you're injured or not? Unless you're purchasing personal injury insurance there's no reason for them to care. All the care about is how often a car gets into accidents multiplied by how much it costs to repair.

As far as I'm aware, Tesla's active safety features aren't significantly better at preventing accidents compared to other manufacturers, but their excellent passive safety features significantly improve safety but make the car a lot costlier to repair. This is probably what insurance companies are thinking.
I don't know but I know it's a big shock to Tesla owners when they find out the cost to insure their car. I think I read online Tesla is thinking about forming their own car insurance company to try and reduce the cost to insure their cars because a lot of owners are complaining about this.

I don't know but I know it's a big shock to Tesla owners when they find out the cost to insure their car. I think I read online Tesla is thinking about forming their own car insurance company to try and reduce the cost to insure their cars because a lot of owners are complaining about this.

a few months late to the thread, but ... as we know, Tesla insurance is a thing now. And I still don’t see how it changes anything beyond being maybe a convenience to have one-stop shopping.

As for insurance rates, it’s no different for me than my previous car. About $900/yr. No significant difference.

Going back to the topic of this thread . . . I am a 70-year-old widow who did a solo 7,000-mile cross-country road trip in her new M3 this summer. I fell in love with the car on that trip and can't wait to do it again next year. Charging up was never an issue -- the car (dual motor) has a longer range than I do! -- and the car was a dream to drive over long distances. I did a similar trip a couple of years ago in my Mini Countryman (which I also loved), but this time -- thanks in large part to Auto Pilot -- I felt fresh instead of fatigued at the end of each day of driving.
What surprised me was that not once did I encounter another female Tesla driver at any of the many charge stations I visited. Sometimes a woman was in the passenger seat, but never behind the wheel.
I don't get it. The car is safe, comfortable, easy to drive, beautiful (love my white-on-white) and fun to drive!

Going back to the topic of this thread . . . I am a 70-year-old widow who did a solo 7,000-mile cross-country road trip in her new M3 this summer. I fell in love with the car on that trip and can't wait to do it again next year. Charging up was never an issue -- the car (dual motor) has a longer range than I do! -- and the car was a dream to drive over long distances. I did a similar trip a couple of years ago in my Mini Countryman (which I also loved), but this time -- thanks in large part to Auto Pilot -- I felt fresh instead of fatigued at the end of each day of driving.
What surprised me was that not once did I encounter another female Tesla driver at any of the many charge stations I visited. Sometimes a woman was in the passenger seat, but never behind the wheel.
I don't get it. The car is safe, comfortable, easy to drive, beautiful (love my white-on-white) and fun to drive!
Well, you know, women are a mystery. ;)

What's your data for this? My wife used to own an Infiniti G37x and her Model 3 is only a few dollars more per year to insure. I used to own a Jeep Wrangler and my Model 3 is actually cheaper to insure. Going from our old cars to two Model 3's there was no "big shock" it's roughly the same as what we're used to.

Oh yeah... We used to spend $350-400 per month in gas. Now we spend $30-40 per month in electricity with similar driving. I'd say that was a "big shock" but I knew about it ahead of time so that was part of the budgeting decision to purchase the Teslas.

What's your data for this? My wife used to own an Infiniti G37x and her Model 3 is only a few dollars more per year to insure. I used to own a Jeep Wrangler and my Model 3 is actually cheaper to insure. Going from our old cars to two Model 3's there was no "big shock" it's roughly the same as what we're used to.

Oh yeah... We used to spend $350-400 per month in gas. Now we spend $30-40 per month in electricity with similar driving. I'd say that was a "big shock" but I knew about it ahead of time so that was part of the budgeting decision to purchase the Teslas.
My electric utility company is Southern California Edison. Not long after I got my Tesla they notified me that my usage had suddenly increased. I told them about my new electric vehicle and said: "You're getting the money ExxonMobil used to get." Of course, less money. And I copied ExxonMobil on the message. LOL

Back to the OP's original topic, my wife and I are on a road trip. I was walking into a restaurant with my Tesla Tshirt on yesterday and a middle aged woman (maybe 50-60ish) stopped me to ask if I owned a Tesla. I said yes. She gushed about her Model 3. She said she was recently at lunch with a friend who also owns a Tesla. To quote, she said : "Elon's really onto something when he's got two women at lunch talking cars." Made me smile. I love my Model 3 and I know my wife loves hers just as much as I do.

Everyone is an individual but, on average, I think men and women have slightly different priorities in cars. But it seems like Tesla is hitting the mark for both groups. It'll be interesting to see how the Model Y does. My guess is that it will be hugely successful and might even attract more women than men.

What complexities are you referring to when it comes to charging? Plugging it in when you get home is not a difficult concept to grasp. Personally I felt the article was ignorant and degrading. The title alone told me it was click bait.
Right. Nobody complains about having to plug in their phones every night. I feel a little silly now when I have to wait around putting gas in my ICE car.

Why Tesla 'has a problem appealing to women': Electric cars, Elon Musk may be off-putting

I had to comment on this article!!

Seriously!!! It is the most practical car I have ever purchased. I live 47 miles from work and used to pay $8-$10 a day in gas in my Camry Hybrid. Not anymore! I bought my Model 3 LR AWD in Dec, 2018 and have over 11,000 miles on it. Service it? nope...no oil, no anti-freeze.

Let me tell you the practicality of it:
I HAD "gas pedal" knee from driving so much. Severe pain in my knee. NO pain now as of the 47 miles to work and 47 miles back, the CAR DRIVES ME for 44 of those miles each way. I told my Physical Therapist to prescribe a Tesla for patients with this condition! You know how I control acceleration and deceleration??? With a tiny scroll wheel on the steering wheel!!

Then there is the 60mph in 3.0 seconds. Wow! No delay when I need to change lanes or get in front of someone. It is amazing! When I actually do use the accelerator and the steering wheel it is an amazing experience. So easy to drive! Handles so well. And I live in Zigzag, OR up on Mt. Hood and this car has AWD. Only need to use my Highlander when the snow is really deep. And there are two engines. If one goes out, I have another one. And 360 degree sensors let me know what is around me and warns me of any dangers and prevents me from running into things.
Then there is the space! An HUGE trunk and a frunk! I have filled the car with my relatives, went to Costco and was amazed at how much stuff I could fit in this car.

Safety?...it is the safest car out there. My insurance company thinks so, too as my premium is amazingly low.

Now for the FUN!
OMG!!! 14 speakers, a sub-woofer and immersive sound! I am seriously in heaven! While the car is driving me, I am clapping my hands to the music. And while I am getting my free supercharging for 9 months, I search for the best songs from the 60's and 70"s and add them to my Spotify Tesla WOWs! playlist.

Heated seats throughout the car, an amazing vent system, it remembers who I am and moves my seats and mirrors to where I want them as soon as I get in the car. It has a web browser on the 15 inch monitor. And it has video games, a fireplace with heat coming from the vents, etc, etc.

And my current favorite activity: I am a stop light next to a sports car or huge Dodge RAM truck with my windows down and blasting my music. The vehicle next to me revs their motor. The light turns green and in 3 secs I am a quarter mile ahead of them!!!
I am a 64 yr old lady raising my teenage grandkids and this vehicle is saving my physical and mental health!! How's that for practicality!!
WOW!! you got the most responses I have seen on here since coming on! Impressive! I can even best your age & I am a "lead foot" former Vett & Porsche owner so I like to lead from lights...it's a kick! My grands think I'm the coolest grandma ever!! :) Enjoy & you could add it keeps you feeling young!!

I'm a female owner/driver..husb drives a 911 and this car is a bit scary to him..not being as tech savvy However I have to say he just beams when he talks about it & how much I luv it. He isn't interested in long trips even 300mi ones, but I may try a Chic-Ann Arbor trip this summer. It's so tempting! So, I'm not out at the SC but I'm hangin around on the I95's etc locally. Safe travels & enjoy!!

I'm a female owner/driver..husb drives a 911 and this car is a bit scary to him..not being as tech savvy However I have to say he just beams when he talks about it & how much I luv it. He isn't interested in long trips even 300mi ones, but I may try a Chic-Ann Arbor trip this summer. It's so tempting! So, I'm not out at the SC but I'm hangin around on the I95's etc locally. Safe travels & enjoy!!
A Tesla Model 3 is a bit scary to a 911 driver? What does he find a bit scary about it?

WOW!! you got the most responses I have seen on here since coming on! Impressive! I can even best your age & I am a "lead foot" former Vett & Porsche owner so I like to lead from lights...it's a kick! My grands think I'm the coolest grandma ever!! :) Enjoy & you could add it keeps you feeling young!!

I don't even like to drive!! But, I ain't driving in my Tesla! It's driving me!! It is seriously great for physical and mental health. I now have over 17,000 miles on it just going to work and back and taking my grandkids to events, friends and appointments. Living up on Mt. Hood is heaven...until you have to drive everywhere. But..now I just clap to the music and let the car drive me. Pretty practical in my opinion!!!