Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "forum" - forums.tesla.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
I'm a relatively new member to TMC and Tesla's forum (June 2019); however, I spend most of my time here in the TMC community. I'm curious if you've been to the Tesla forum and what you think? Not because I recommend it, but because I do not. I will start the discussion with my observations of the "Tesla branded" forum.

1) The UI seems like it's from the 1990's - No editing, deleting, PM'ing, banning, or anything. Operates more like a "blog" with little to no oversight by Tesla.

2) No moderation, at all. It is a "free for all," complete with obscenities, high volumes of "trolls" and "self-appointed forum guardians," who in many cases are more disruptive than the "trolls" the claim they want to drive out.

3) There are some very smart and helpful people there; why they stay in such a toxic environment is beyond me.

4) In the Model 3 forum, there are about six or seven long-standing disrupters that go unchecked. From what I've read, many have written Tesla about this and the state of their forum, but nothing appears to change and the "perps" continue to run free, citing "Freedom of Speech" as logic to justify their disruption, sexism, name calling, obscenity flinging, etc.

5) A thread from over there where some member is trying to restore order; you might find interesting (or not). Forum Decorum | Tesla

Tesla seems to be very okay with this old-style UI, unmoderated forum approach. Based on what I see, that approach doesn't seem to be good for the "brand" and tends to turn off prospective customers, new owners, and even long-time owners - So why do they not modernize their own forum with this in mind? Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshan
I have tweeted Elon directly a couple times when he tweets about FUD. There is no bigger FUD about Tesla on the internet than his own forums and they go unchecked. I do like that forum because of some of the posters, but Tesla has really dropped the ball.

I had one user personally attacking me last weekend, posting blatant lies about me and more. I emailed them about it and they removed his posts but took zero action against the user. It boggles the mind to be honest.

Reactions: jebinc
I have been on TMC for a long time. Before that I had started on Tesla official forums, but abandoned it for some of the above reasons.

Also being able to attach images and youtube links here is something I can't live without now.

Reactions: Joshan and jebinc
I have been on TMC for a long time. Before that I had started on Tesla official forums, but abandoned it for some of the above reasons.

Also being able to attach images and youtube links here is something I can't live without now.

Yes, I found TMC to be the best Tesla forum for all interested in the brand and its products! Thanks for being a moderator here!

I vote with my feet. Definitely don’t go there anymore.
I took that approach in August, then went back just to check a few days ago - hoping for something different. My hopes were dashed! Tesla should be ashamed of that product and for allowing some "members" to persist. Don't get why they do, or would - so, I'm out as well.

Edit: I noticed that some of the worst offenders "over there" have accounts (same screen names) "over here". Thankfully, the TMC process, and mods, limit the disruption they can cause here. :)

When I first got my first Tesla I went to the Tesla forum. After about 10 minutes of "ick!" I came back to TMC and haven't been back to the Tesla forum since. IMO, the Tesla forum is an embarrassment to Tesla. They need to either clean it up or shut it down.

Yes, but the operative question to our community is; "Why do they not (clean it up)"? Is there any evidence of Tesla monitoring what happens here in TMC, in particular this Tesla, Inc Forum? If so, perhaps your posts in this thread might bring about a change to their own trashy forum.

Is it expected that a manufacturer host their own enthusiasts' forum? There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that Tesla notices what happens on this forum, not in any official way, of course. Is the Tesla forum even necessary?

I suppose not, as they can easily have someone data mine all the other sites for insight. Can’t see why they would keep such a poor implementation of a forum either. Strange.

With TMC, no one really cares about the Tesla forum. People who don't like being censored at all like the Tesla forum because they can say whatever they want without repercussion at all.

There can be some good information there but you can't get all frustrated about the craziness of it.

With TMC, no one really cares about the Tesla forum. People who don't like being censored at all like the Tesla forum because they can say whatever they want without repercussion at all.

There can be some good information there but you can't get all frustrated about the craziness of it.

Agreed. One of my questions to the TMC community (In the TMC "Tesla, Inc." forum), per my OP,
is why does "Tesla, Inc." not do anything about it?
confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm hopeful Tesla data mines this TMC forum and find this gem... and once they do, it results in a change "over there". This is also why I'm hoping a lot of TMC members post their thoughts on the matter here. After all, do we all want Tesla to succeed? Their poor forum is not helping that objective, IMHO.
jumping-smiley-019.gif
action-smiley-066.gif

Last edited: