Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's FSD Beta Is Not Yet For Everyone | TMC Podcast Clip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a clip from Tesla Motors Club Podcast #12, where the hosts discuss the new announced plans with FSD Beta, including the expansion to 100k vehicles in the Beta program and the recent announcement that FSD Beta will be relying less on GPS, which should help claims that FSD Beta works well regionally.

Reactions: diplomat33
hey I recognize that username! @lUtriaNt :D

@Twiglett gets a shoutout.

in my own anecdotal experience, phantom braking has significantly improved with this release, particularly the kind that happens when you're just driving straight on a local road (2 lanes separated with a double yellow), and the car hesitates or brakes gently for no apparent reason (aka whimsical hesitations).

Tesla density here in exurban New Hampshire is low compared to Boston metro, and even that is lower than LA (saw firsthand last summer). If there are more Teslas in the Bay area than LA, I can't even imagine. But despite the low density around here, the car in FSDb is driving reasonably well where roads are fairly straightforward. I also don't agree with Mike in the video that FSDb proficiency is due to fleet-mapping. I don't even think they're doing that yet.

Fleet mapping was something they talked about during AI day, and I suspect they might start doing that once the fleet grows to a certain size. I don't think FSDb's reduced reliance on third party mapping data (in 10.13 and beyond) precludes Tesla from using their own fleet-generated maps. The only reason they may not be doing it now is that too many areas don't have the Tesla density to generate something complete and/or accurate.

I have had very good luck with the FSD beta...BUT...I was just driving back to work from lunch, going straight down a 4 lane road in heavy traffic, and FSD first wanted to turn into oncoming traffic when it left the highway. When I re-engaged it, it drove fine for about a half mile, then SUDDENLY swerved towards oncoming traffic! No earthly idea why it did either of those things. But yeah, I would say that FSD beta is NOT for everyone, yet. You really have to be committed to keeping a CONSTANT eye on what it is doing and be TRULY ready to take over for it at any time! Most people would not want the added headache of doing that...it's not really more convenient than manual driving at the moment. It's more a "really neat thing that the car can do...MOST of the time...that really needs supervision ALL of the time" kinda thing. I enjoy using it because I enjoy watching the progression as it's learning. But most customers would be frustrated with it's failings instead of being happy with the constant improvements.

Reactions: timberlights