Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's FSD Camera Upgrades | TMC Podcast Clip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Podcasters,

Here is a list of cameras replaced for an FSD upgrade:
1670284009781.png

Essentially ALL cameras were replaced except the rear/backup camera.

I had my repeaters cameras replaced in my 2018 Model X due to damage.
The car was delivered with Revision "C" repeater cameras.

1670284169217.png

These were older vintage cameras but did have the correct color rendition.
They DID leak light of the turn signal at night...

Whatever the current cameras are in my refresh X give better resolution
than those delivered in my 2018 Model X.
They are definitely NOT hardware 4 or the new repeaters with the large lens.

I have had obstruction of the triple cam and the pillar cameras with internal frost.

Pillar Fog.jpg

Shawn

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: danny
So forgive me for the ignorance. So if I currently have a 2022 refreshed Model S Plaid with FSD am I eligible for the upgrades free of charge, or does there have to be a defect somewhere or reason for a replacement? Or does this just apply to early generation hardware?

So forgive me for the ignorance. So if I currently have a 2022 refreshed Model S Plaid with FSD am I eligible for the upgrades free of charge, or does there have to be a defect somewhere or reason for a replacement? Or does this just apply to early generation hardware?
There are no camera upgrades for a 2022 Tesla. These are for older Teslas.

Reactions: calikid

Tesla is offering camera upgrades to Tesla owners who have FSD, but are on early production cameras. We share our thoughts.

This is a clip from Tesla Motors Club Podcast #25. The full podcast video is available here on YouTube.
I requested to have Tesla Mobile service come out to install my roof rack and when I got the quote, they included the free swap of my cameras on my 2017 MS 75. They completed the job yesterday and it took the text about 30 minutes and five of my cameras were replaced. The front camera located in my rear view mirror area, the two fender cameras and the two b-pillar cameras.

My 2017 MX100D with FSD has no camera update available. Vehicle is now in SC for Battery Coolant Heater replacement and I asked my SC Rep about the FSD battery upgrade. Response, only for some vehicles, nothing being offered for my vehicle. Has anyone with a 2017 MX with FSD been offered the camera update? In June, 2020 I had my MX upgraded from Tegra MCU & Autopilot 2.5 to Intel MCU and Autopilot 3.0. On the same visit, I paid $2,500 to upgrade Infotainment MCU and replace my Touchscreen Panel. With these updates I see no technical reason why camera update for FSD would not be made available. What is the full story about the FSD camera update?

Last edited:
My 2017 MX100D with FSD has no camera update available.
As I recall (which some rightly call suspect), it depends on the build month. AP 2.5 started in September 2017 - and I believe those had the correct cameras from there going forward. My June '17 MS with AP 2.0 needed the cameras.

Plus if your SS app is working it should tell you if the cameras are incorrect for FSDb.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
Tesla is offering camera upgrades to Tesla owners who have FSD, but are on early production cameras.
Any specifics on this? Especially what counts as "early production"? For example (selfishly), I have a July 2018 Model 3. I'd love to have my repeater cameras replaced, if only for the light leakage problem. But if FSD wants it, so much the better.

As I recall (which some rightly call suspect), it depends on the build month. AP 2.5 started in September 2017 - and I believe those had the correct cameras from there going forward. My June '17 MS with AP 2.0 needed the cameras.

Plus if your SS app is working it should tell you if the cameras are incorrect for FSDb.
Thank you, this is great information. My 2017 MX 100D was built in September, 2017 and delivered to me at the end of September. App is only stating that my MX need CCS hardware upgrade and to check back in 2023 for availability.