Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla’s Full Self-Driving Software Deployed to ‘Careful Drivers’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving beta rolled out Tuesday night, according to a tweet form Chief Executive Elon Musk.

The new software is a substantial re-write of the automakers self-driving technology. Musk has been testing the update, calling the improvements “profound.” 

“I think we’ll hopefully release a private beta of Autopilot, of the full self-driving version of Autopilot in, I think, a month or so, and then people will really understand just the magnitude of the change,” Musk said at Tesla’s recent Battery Day event. “It’s profound…you’ll see it. It’s just like a hell of a step change.”

Musk teased the Oct. 20 rollout earlier in the month, saying FSD would be released to a limited number of people identified as “expert and careful drivers.”

He reiterated that caution Tuesday, highlighting that the FSD beta is being released in an “extremely slow and cautious” manner.

FSD has been a long wait for many who purchased the pricey option. Tesla hoped to release a feature-complete version of FSD update by the end of last year, but didn’t achieve that goal. It seems the company is finally taking that next step toward the fully autonomous car it promised.

Did you receive the update?

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted on Twitter that Monday I got a letter from Tesla. I fantasized that it was an NDA in anticipation of a software download, was disappointed to learn it was a Covid refund check from Tesla insurance. Darn!

• Funny
Reactions: lemketron
I posted on Twitter that Monday I got a letter from Tesla. I fantasized that it was an NDA in anticipation of a software download, was disappointed to learn it was a Covid refund check from Tesla insurance. Darn!
I got a software update yesterday (Monday), but was disappointed to find out that it was just 2020.40.4 --> 2020.40.8 and not 2020.44 as I was hoping.

However, I was pleased to see that (according to Stats) I was one of the first to get 2020.40.8. Maybe 2020.44 will arrive soon as well...