Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's GPS vs. Waze vs. EVTripping questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model S for a few weeks and have some questions about the Tesla GPS and also how to integrate other GPS/EV Mapping programs.

Currently I use Waze and/or Googlemaps on my phone and am satisfied with the results.

1) Can the Tesla GPS provide you with alternative routings? I don't see where I can pick what route I want to take. Say I put in a destination of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC. The car GPS will provide one way, but say I want to go on some back roads in the country to enjoy the nice scenery. Is that possible? I didn't see an option for that anywhere in the settings or on the result page. Am I missing something?

2) Say I find an outside website such as www.evtripping.com I can use their site to plan out a route (like other sites do). Once I get the results from that website, how do I integrate that into my Tesla's GPS or onto my phone's Waze/Googlemaps?

3) Does the Tesla's GPS take into account traffic and make detour suggestions as I'm going along?

Thanks for your help. The guy I dealt with at the dealership wasn't knowledgeable about 3rd party apps or what not.

So you use that website to plan the route. I suppose you can do it on your computer and send the link via your calendar to the car. Once you click on it, does it pull up the Tesla's GPS? Do you just go point to point with it? or plan the entire route?

I'm going to play with it now and plan my day tomorrow and see how it goes.

How about my question # 3?

For A Better Route Planner you pull up the actual website on the car browser and it runs the tracking in the browser (Unless you have a model 3 anyway). If you log in you can save routes on the computer and restore them in car. I like to see the difference between the car's planner and abetterrouteplanner.com which tends to optimize better for minimum charge time while the tesla planner optimizes for minimum stops. Sometimes one or the other will suit the time of day better and allow a stop to coincide with a meal or something. If you stop a little longer than planned, you can get either to replan the route.

So you use that website to plan the route. I suppose you can do it on your computer and send the link via your calendar to the car. Once you click on it, does it pull up the Tesla's GPS? Do you just go point to point with it? or plan the entire route?

I'm going to play with it now and plan my day tomorrow and see how it goes.

How about my question # 3?
Yes, and in the App settings, you can choose "how many minutes saved" to reroute. I usually have Wyze running, since Tesla/Google built in Nav can "get creative" with its routing sometimes.

Say I put in a destination of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC. The car GPS will provide one way, but say I want to go on some back roads in the country to enjoy the nice scenery. Is that possible? I didn't see an option for that anywhere in the settings or on the result page. Am I missing something?

This is Agent Jackson of the Secret Service. Please provide a phone number, we’d like to chat.

So I tried it this morning. Last night, I planned out my day in www.abetterrouteplanner.com and sent the link to my google calendar. I clicked on the link from the calendar (in the nice big Tesla Screen on my Model S) and after a little difficulty getting it to load (bad wifi/LTE connection) it loaded.

Gotta say, it was a terrible experience. The blue line telling me to turn was in the wrong lane. There was no audio prompt when to turn. The updating of the maps was really slow.

Maybe I was doing something wrong?

If I wasn't the cause of the problems, I'd say this is not the solution for me.

Perhaps I'm better off to save the routing in my phone and just load one destination at a time into Waze?

I am going to try to use teh special Wazy for tesla app later today.

I'll report back.