Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas ICE’ing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I am new here, I dont yet own a Tesla, although I do have a deposit down on a Model Y expected in June.

Im not here to start a fight whatsoever, however I do have a little bit of a bone to pick.

Currently we own a 2019 chevy Bolt. It was our first EV and has done a great job at that (aside from the battery recall, that is). Recently i have noticed a disturbing trend among Tesla drivers, it seems, who seem to be commonly parking in spots marked for EV charging only, but they are not plugged in at all. I realize that this is a minority of drivers who do this, but it really puts a sour taste in the mouth. How can the EV community expect to have the respect of ICE drivers, when they cant even show the respect for the other EV drivers, some of which may be in much more need of a charge? It has most affected me at the nearest IKEA to me, which has 3 Blink chargers, but most if not all are commonly blocked by Teslas that are not plugged in. I come from 2 hours away and the charge that I can get while shopping can go a long way to getting me back home, making for less time spent at a DCFC.

Just wanted to see what you guys have experienced and thought of as Tesla drivers.

Looking forward to hopefully getting the Model Y next year!

I think it's a different audience. The inconsiderate jackholes who do that $#it wouldn't be the kind of people who would seek out a Tesla forum and create an account and participate in discussions here. So the people who do that will never see your post here.

Reactions: RTPEV
I have only seen chargers ICED/blocked 6 times since May (cumulative 15k miles between Bolt EV and MYLR).

2 times were destination chargers, blocked by EV's only because the chargers themselves had been neglected and were not functional.

2 times by fuel tankers at EA chargers or SC on the road

1 time by ICE'd Uber or similar near gas station

1 time a hotel destination charger was ICE'd but I presume it was because there was literally no more parking available when we arrived at 3AM.

Honestly, between EA, Blink, ChargePoint, EVGo, and Tesla, I have come across more defective chargers than jerkoff owners.

Reactions: moa999
I think it's a different audience. The inconsiderate jackholes who do that $#it wouldn't be the kind of people who would seek out a Tesla forum and create an account and participate in discussions here. So the people who do that will never see your post here.
I think you are entirely correct. I wasn't trying to blame anyone here at all, just interested in perspective that you guys might have.

Yes, I've seen this plenty of times myself, but agree with @Rocky_H that the perpetrators will never see your post. But yes, it's very rude and inconsiderate. By the way, the term to use for this is ZAPping (Zero Amperage Parking). Many times it's a Tesla, but other EVs do it as well.

Heck, I tend to get annoyed when Teslas take up a J1772 slot, even when there are adjacent Superchargers. I mean I understand why they do it: they will be eating or watching a movie or doing something else for a lot longer than it would take to Supercharge, so they plug into the free J1772, but then they are taking up a slot that someone might actually need.

Of course you never really know whether the person is perhaps on a road trip and legitimately needs to charge, or maybe they are a local who lives in an apartment and cannot charge at home, but based on Plugshare checkins, it does seem to happen with some regularity that a local Tesla owner will check in at a free J1772 station.

Now that my wife and I both drive 250+ mile EVs, we tend not to use J1772 public chargers, although there is one parking deck we do visit regularly that has 2 charging stations, neither of which ever see any use, so we do occasionally plug in there when we are low on charge (we tend to park "after hours" and there are only about 15 cars in the entire deck, much less taking up the two charging spots).

Charging a nominal fee for charging would help this somewhat, but in many cases the host site provides it free of charge as an amenity to draw in customers.

Probably the best course of action to take is to appeal to the host site if you find this happening a lot and ask them to put up better signage and enforce cases where cars aren't actively charging and/or install more charging stations.

Reactions: The Meal