Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's ICE'ing Urban Super Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess this was inevitable, but I was quite surprised to see it happen. I was visiting the Prudential Center in Boston and when I arrived almost all of the stalls were full but I was fortunate to find a spot. The surprise was when I left after about 30 minutes of charging. All of the stalls were occupied by Tesla's and over half of them were unplugged. As I left - my nav screen indicated that 5 of 8 were available - which is consistent with the ICE'ing that was going on.

As a bit more background - this lot is expensive - $12 for the first hour with store validation of a purchase in excess of $10. I think it is $27 for the first hour without a purchase. The charging stalls are optimally located - close to entry and exit and close to shopping. I am assuming people who parked in the spaces started charging, hadn't finished shopping and didn't want to move the car but also didn't want to get dinged with idle fees so the re-visited the car and unplugged it without moving it.

I didn't stay around to see what happened, and I am hopeful that these were very short overstays but it did me make wonder how effective the idle fee charges will be when it is inconvenient to move the car. If I had been desperate for a charge - pulled in having seen on-line availability - and then seeing the Tesla ICE'ing it would have driven me nuts.

I know ICE'ing is common - but Tesla's????

To clarify my original post - I should have put "ICE'ing" in quotes. For those not familiar with terminology ICE does indeed stand for Internal Combustion Vehicle. ICE'ing is perjorative generally referring to a non-electric vehicle occupying an EV charging spot effectively blocking the EV from using the spot for charging. In this instance Tesla's were occupying Tesla charging spots without actually charging which has the same effect as an ICE vehicle doing the same - hence my use of the term "ICEing".

These were Tesla Urban super chargers solely for the use of Tesla vehicles. Tesla has created a fee structure to charge fees for remaining in an super charger stall once charging has completed to insure that Tesla vehicles don't occupy the spaces longer than they are needed so they will be maximally available for others to use. However, if the Tesla driver unplugs the vehicle these idle fees will not apply but the space is still blocked from use by other Teslas who might need it.

Ironically, there are 4 general public chargers adjacent to the Tesla spots at this location. Two of those were occupied and charging while the other two were unoccupied and available. Bottom line - only the Tesla owners were behaving badly at this location.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Can I walk up to the d-bag car and open their charge port with the button on the charger handle?
Used to be able to do this. I would think you could. What would someone stuff into the charge port to help the owner remember not to do this?
Y'see, most times, charging doesn't take long, but free parking is hard to find. The standard selfish, thoughtless human bean figures he/she paid for the right to park free, and most chargers are near half empty most times. Whatcha gonna do? Spray paint? Magic marker on the windshield? Sticky notes? Probably won't help. Personally, I leave my cell phone number on the dash, but no one's ever used it.

Tesla owners are just ordinary people. There are those who use SpCers as their main charger to save their own electricity. On my first SpC visit I saw someone unplugging and went back to the car without leaving. I didn’t know why he had to do that at first until later I realized he did it to avoid idling fee. It was pretty bizarre because he didn’t leave until 30min later. He could’ve moved to the empty spaces in the strip mall. There actually were cars waiting for a spot too.

If Tesla owners were any different why was idling fee introduced in the first place?? The owners outsmarted the system by simply unplugging.

Newer Tesla's won't unlock unless the fob is detected. so yes these folks are a bunch of tools. then, when their cars get keyed, they wonder why. Boohoo! Obviously it wasn't another Tesla owner, because they don't have keys .... just nice smooth shiny fobs.
:rolleyes:

I think since our cars are GPS tracked tesla should have a number where you can call and report. They would be able to detect if you are in a stall or not. The GPS is pretty accurate. And charge double the idling fee for these douchebags. Its not a parking spot its a charging spot. Who parks at the gas pump without filling up?

It's too bad these spots aren't regulated like handicap spots. That would fix all ICEing real quick. Ticket and tow no question asked.

People just don't give a f*ck nowadays, and then they b*itch when superchargers are busy and they have to wait. No consideration for anyone at all. Its today's society of me me me.

Can I walk up to the d-bag car and open their charge port with the button on the charger handle?

Yes, you can walk up to a Tesla and plug it in without the FOB. I have a 8.2016 and a 8.2017 that both charge port doors open at the same time when I press the HPWC button (fob nowhere near). When fully charged to preset max it will begin idle fees.

I would also like to point out that some locations allow parking for tesla vehicles in the charging stall. Some even allow general parking to all vehicles for a stated time. I would double check before racking up idle fees on someone.

I've also been curious about loaner vehicles since the mobile access credentials are not always given. I try to sync my watch, but... would I really be backcharged in a loaner?