Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's IL Adjustable Block Buyout Alternative

no more CO2

May 2, 2019
Chicago
Has anyone rejected Tesla's buyout of the IL Adjustable Block (ABP) rebate? I think one can get more money from the ABP than Tesla's buyout offer and you get to own/sell the SREC after 15 years. But I'm still have trouble finding an approved vendor to submit my application to ABP.

dilvala

Nov 15, 2018
Chicago
I'm in the same boat, I saw the terms and conditions and it says they get the REC for lifetime of the system (while ABP is for 15 year block). I've been searching online for the past 2-3 days but don't see much about this. Good timing on your post, hopefully we can find the answer together.

wjgjr

May 11, 2020
Silver Spring, MD
Out of curiosity, was looking at SRECTrade to see how it works in Illinois since that is what I use in MD. It's not clear they work directly with customers in IL - I wonder if the market is new enough (and possibly busy enough) that companies have not started trying to reach out to individuals. That said, I did find a list of approved vendors: Find an Approved Vendor – IL Adjustable Block Program

One of the types in the list is "SREC Broker/Aggregator", which would seem like the companies that might actually take your business if they work direct with customers (as opposed to supporting installers, which seems like what many may do.) Interestingly, SRECTrade is listed as an SREC Broker/Aggregator in that list.

Even if you do end up dealing with Tesla, probably worth asking about modifying the contract language to reflect 15 years. No guarantee they will change it (they like to talk in terms of standard clauses that they can't change) but it seems like the IL situation is pretty unique and Tesla needs a clause different from its standard opt-in and opt-out of RECs clauses.

ChicagoSox

Mar 2, 2020
Illinois
im in the same boat as you both but have lived in Illinois my whole life so im taking the Tesla buyout of the credits because i feel that some legislature will eventually ruin the program and it wont take 15 years if the state files for bankruptcy.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC