Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Hawaii !!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am visiting Hawaii and I see a LOT of Teslas cruising around the insland of Maui and Ohahu. I looked up for super chargers and there is only one in the island if ohahu and none in Maui. I wonder how they charge ? I saw few Model 3 and Y driving thru the mountains on Road to Hana , hats of to the courage ! I was driving my ICE and I was concerned about the gas and with no cell phone signals!!!

How do people in Hawaii charge while traveling ?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
There’s plenty of public Tesla destination chargers and other network L2 chargers on the islands of Maui, Oahu, Kaua’i, and Hawai’i. Plus of course L1 and L2 charging at home. The islands are not that large compared to the range of the cars.

(Source: ChargePoint app)

Attachments

• C5132DE8-6268-4FD8-BB41-080C1D351592.png
    C5132DE8-6268-4FD8-BB41-080C1D351592.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 124
  • A42FF889-CE6E-4CDB-8BE7-86382051BF1D.png
    A42FF889-CE6E-4CDB-8BE7-86382051BF1D.png
    405.3 KB · Views: 72
  • CE38762B-3130-4756-B16F-3CD022F49C91.png
    CE38762B-3130-4756-B16F-3CD022F49C91.png
    418.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 855236F5-2B6D-49D0-B9E6-3425A0098B95.png
    855236F5-2B6D-49D0-B9E6-3425A0098B95.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Informative
I don’t live in Hawaii, but I suspect they are like most of us and charge primarily at home. In the last month, I’ve only done one charging session away from home and that was an all-day session at work to recharge after arriving home from a road trip with the battery at about 20%.

0691E783-C9CF-488F-9424-8E8DCE6C053D.jpeg

• Informative
I was driving my ICE and I was concerned about the gas and with no cell phone signals!!!
This is called "range anxiety". It's a common problem with people driving those old fashioned gas cars that they start the day out with less than a full tank because they can't pump their own gas at home and maybe didn't have time or forgot to visit a "gas station" before they set out on their journey that day. If you had had a Tesla, you could pretty much get anywhere and back on the island and would never have to worry about that! ;)

I rented M3 through Turo last year and it was a POA because there were no SC in Oahu. Now they have one, it should be much better. Alamoana shopping center also has a few L2 Tesla charging stations by Mortons but very slow. Free charging stations are usually full and not available.
I saw the that L2 charger , it was next to the place I stayed and yes it was always full !

This is called "range anxiety". It's a common problem with people driving those old fashioned gas cars that they start the day out with less than a full tank because they can't pump their own gas at home and maybe didn't have time or forgot to visit a "gas station" before they set out on their journey that day. If you had had a Tesla, you could pretty much get anywhere and back on the island and would never have to worry about that! ;)
Oh I had range anxiety and some !!! Especially when going thru the road to Hana . If I had my Tesla my entire family would have an anxiety attack 🤣 . I saw few Tesla doing the road to Hana . I guess they might have been getting a lot of regenerative charge !! Really curious to hear back from some fellow Tesla driver who did road to Hana in the island of Maui

Oh I had range anxiety and some !!! Especially when going thru the road to Hana . If I had my Tesla my entire family would have an anxiety attack 🤣 . I saw few Tesla doing the road to Hana . I guess they might have been getting a lot of regenerative charge !! Really curious to hear back from some fellow Tesla driver who did road to Hana in the island of Maui
I've taken the road to Hana myself years ago in a gas car (probably a fun drive as a driver, not so much in the back seat!) from the southern part of Maui (Wailea). This is a 128 mile round trip. I suppose the other worst-case example would be from Kaanapali, which is 152 miles round trip. Plugging that round trip into ABRP to account for elevation changes (although the roads mostly follow the coast, so not really a lot there), and yes, it does have you getting back with 29% SOC (at least with my Model 3 LR). That wouldn't even get close to inducing range anxiety in me though.

As a tourist (I suspect the locals don't just hop on over to Hana on a regular basis) making this trip, obviously you would want to plan ahead, which if you were renting a Tesla for the trip would include staying at a hotel or lodging with the ability to charge your vehicle, and you'd probably charge it to 100% (or close to it) before your journey to Hana.

The thing is, those islands aren't that big. And day trips to Hana or Haleaka aside, I just don't see a significant need to charge must more than what an L2 charging stations is going to give you.