Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Italy, are like unicorns…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
We left Toronto on September 4 and have been touring Italy with our Italian teacher, in a van, then off on our own in a Fiat 500/x. We see the occasional M3 and even rarer MS, mostly on the autostratas and rarely in the cities. Although there appears to be strong showing of solar power usage, we only encounter one or two charging stations - CCS of cours.

Truthfully, after some harrowing driving through Perugia, Centro de la Citta, I had visions of our experiences in Sicily where we had left parts of our beautiful V60 Volvo rental, in an narrow turn, in town. The car had finally made it through, at the expense of mirrors, fenders, quarter panels and a tyre. We literally had to fold in the mirrors to get out of the center of town (very old), with it’s cut-throat narrow streets and impossible turns, with cars parked there too!

I think I would have a heart attack trying to drive a Tesla through them. Coming home this Thursday. If you choose to drive in Italy, it’s a whole different style. You either “go native or go hime”…

9838630F-2EE1-499D-BDD8-7FBE6843F752.jpeg

Attachments

• 542793AB-B7CE-4E59-8B0A-0200B721D322.jpeg
    542793AB-B7CE-4E59-8B0A-0200B721D322.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2575F15B-1FE6-424F-A962-238B70198AF1.jpeg
    2575F15B-1FE6-424F-A962-238B70198AF1.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 68
  • E60A27FD-585C-487D-8239-630EE2B5D529.jpeg
    E60A27FD-585C-487D-8239-630EE2B5D529.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 2C244CB8-0E34-438D-89B8-9A2F8AB1CF6B.jpeg
    2C244CB8-0E34-438D-89B8-9A2F8AB1CF6B.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: RoiDuNord
LOL, FSD would probably resign on the spot, in tiny towns like San Gimignano or the the “Centro” of Perugia. Would it have the ai to fold in mirrors in order to get through some very narrow porticoes? I swear that in in our “CinqeCento 500/x”, I was concerned A LOT, at times.

LOL, FSD would probably resign on the spot, in tiny towns like San Gimignano or the the “Centro” of Perugia. Would it have the ai to fold in mirrors in order to get through some very narrow porticoes? I swear that in in our “CinqeCento 500/x”, I was concerned A LOT, at times.
Actually, I think that is part of FSD. I recall a video where a Tesla pulled in its mirrors while inching slowly through a tight spot, but I can’t recall when or where that was.

Did you like the way they turn two lane highways into two plus a passing lane right up the middle?
Don't we have similar things in Canada, although the passing lane is switched back and forth from eastbound to westbound or whatever?
I believe that @BrandX was referring to roads with only two lanes in total; the “passing lane” is made by a car pulling out to pass and cars going both directions move over to the side to let that car through.

What you may be thinking of in Canada is a road three lanes wide with a marked center lane for passing only.

I am traveling in Italy right now. I have driven in Italy in the past, but now take the train and then use taxis. Much more pleasant, far cheaper, and less stressful.

Reactions: BrandX
I believe that @BrandX was referring to roads with only two lanes in total; the “passing lane” is made by a car pulling out to pass and cars going both directions move over to the side to let that car through.

What you may be thinking of in Canada is a road three lanes wide with a marked center lane for passing only.

I am traveling in Italy right now. I have driven in Italy in the past, but now take the train and then use taxis. Much more pleasant, far cheaper, and less stressful.
I LOVE driving in Italy. The freedom we have to go anywhere is unparalleled for us. I love shifting gears too. While I miss my Corvette, I don’t really miss it, if you know what I mean.

Going in the city center with any car that is not small as a Fiat 500 is suicide in Italy :D
Some historical city centers are 1000 years old and were made for walking or cart... Not really car friendly! (Even were in my hometown, 5km away from Maranello, the realm of Ferrari and V12s)

The south of italy doesn't have a large public charging infrastructure, it's more developed in the north. At the moment we have something like 25.000 public charging stations, most of them are 11kw "slow" charging. Of course Tesla Superchargers are present and you can travel from north to south with ease ;)