Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Movies & TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking forward to next season Continuum, but I confess that I watched first two or three episodes of Rake to see the Model S based on the post below. I did see it. A quick glance of it parked behind main character, but I really felt like I wasted my time on that show. (Both for the insignificant role the Model S played, and the lameness of the main character).

I hope the Model S is a main player in Continuum. Perhaps as the car a key character drives on a regular basis. That would be great, but even if the Model S is fleeting, it is a great show.

I am looking forward to next season Continuum, but I confess that I watched first two or three episodes of Rake to see the Model S based on the post below. I did see it. A quick glance of it parked behind main character, but I really felt like I wasted my time on that show. (Both for the insignificant role the Model S played, and the lameness of the main character).

I hope the Model S is a main player in Continuum. Perhaps as the car a key character drives on a regular basis. That would be great, but even if the Model S is fleeting, it is a great show.

Its pretty much how it has been in every show it has appeared on when it is a "characters car". They are not receiving any promotion from Tesla to put the car in the show, so it is just placed in there passively just like any other car would be. Any time you get some SERIOUS showing of a car in a show it is because they were PAID to put it in there. Like the Jaguar in Covert Affairs, and the BMW in White Collar to name a few. If you ever see a nice clean full body shot of a car with the logo in plain view (front or back) or if the character ever interacts with the car in a way that says, hey look what I am driving! Then you know they were paid to put it on there.

hence why for house of lies the few times it has been on the show, you get partial shots of the car... Because the car is not the focus of the show. I say that to say, I am glad that they are, for whatever reason, CHOOSING to use a Tesla in every show, because that gives further standing on the whole, let's let owners advertise for us, concept.

So you are implying that Guster's 'Blueberry' was paid for by Toyota? I'm shocked..shocked I tell you.

;)

The Blueberry - Psych Wiki

Actually, that isn't the worst. Toyota's Prius coverage by Warehouse 13 isn't subtle at all..their web series is all about the car, and nothing about the show...
This is so true but there was an even more blatant Prius advertisement in a Bones show a while back. The whole show kept coming back to her telling Booth how great her Prius was.

Even my favorite indie show Video Game High School was only able to get some of the funding and support they did thanks to some car sponsorship's they got. Car companies and advertisers in general have realized that people don't pay attention to - or skip - the commercials, so they force the advertisements inside the shows now.

Reminds me a bit of the Truman Show, haha!

Meryl: "Hi, honey! Look what I got free at the checkout. It's a "Chef's Pal". It's a dicer, grater, peeler, all in one. Never needs sharpening, dishwasher safe!"

Its pretty much how it has been in every show it has appeared on when it is a "characters car". They are not receiving any promotion from Tesla to put the car in the show, so it is just placed in there passively just like any other car would be. Any time you get some SERIOUS showing of a car in a show it is because they were PAID to put it in there. Like the Jaguar in Covert Affairs, and the BMW in White Collar to name a few. If you ever see a nice clean full body shot of a car with the logo in plain view (front or back) or if the character ever interacts with the car in a way that says, hey look what I am driving! Then you know they were paid to put it on there.

hence why for house of lies the few times it has been on the show, you get partial shots of the car... Because the car is not the focus of the show. I say that to say, I am glad that they are, for whatever reason, CHOOSING to use a Tesla in every show, because that gives further standing on the whole, let's let owners advertise for us, concept.

On House of Lies, they show Marty Khan's Tesla pretty much every episode. The last episode showed several looks at the car, including showing the logo. Did anyone confirm if this is Don Cheadle's car?

screenshot000.png

On the plus side, pretty much every vehicle in that show is electric; or at least has the "fake EV sound".

I don't think that is entirely true... they have some hard "engine" sounds during some of the chase scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

On House of Lies, they show Marty Khan's Tesla pretty much every episode. The last episode showed several looks at the car, including showing the logo. Did anyone confirm if this is Don Cheadle's car?

View attachment 43658

I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that you CAN'T show the logo, just that it is generally not intentionally part of the shot. In this case, they were more attempting to catch the shot of all three actors getting out of the car than anything. Although, Don likes his car so much, it wouldn't surprise me if he was like: "hey you should really get a good shot of the car in this scene!"

It was confirmed way back a long time ago, if I am not mistaken. Like season 1 or beginning of season 2, that he had a car, and they used his car in the show. I don't have the details to put my fingers on it, but given the recent comments from Ben Schwartz about how there are only "2,000 fans" of the show... I am willing to bet they spend all their money trying to get all those different location shots (since they travel A LOT).