Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Movies & TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A red Model S was on Sunday 9/28 show The Strain. But they added engine noise of the car staring and then shutting down. WTF?

As with the 60 Minutes clip, I'm sure this was the result of a sound editor doing what he does every day.. adding sounds to things. Unless the sound editor is familiar with EVs or Teslas, he's going to throw some stock engine noise in there and call it a day.

Maybe now would be a good time to develop Hollywood "EV advisors" similar to how they have military advisors.

Another sighting on Million Dollar Listing LA. Show is a bit boring these days...

milliondollar.jpg

As with the 60 Minutes clip, I'm sure this was the result of a sound editor doing what he does every day.. adding sounds to things. Unless the sound editor is familiar with EVs or Teslas, he's going to throw some stock engine noise in there and call it a day.

Maybe now would be a good time to develop Hollywood "EV advisors" similar to how they have military advisors.

i'm sure the sound editors (in the strain ep) were well aware that the tesla doesn't make much noise, the issue for them is the rhythm of cutting and cues that audiences are used to for years since the advent of sound movies (~1927), like the start of an engine or the shift into drive before cutting to the wide shot and seeing the car drive away, are not applicable technically to the model s, but still they need to use something to cue the cuts... i actually thought they did an ok job as what they added wasn't a normal car sound, but a little chunking, tiny revving thing that skirted the line, not correct, but not off the wall wrong either... :). in 15 years when street sounds in movies are so much quieter because everyone is used to how ev's sound in the wild we will miss the days of revving and slamming into gear in action beats... whatever will we do?? lol.

the issue for them is the rhythm of cutting and cues that audiences are used to for years since the advent of sound movies

Yep. Anyone notice how much noise computers make in the movies and on TV? Every key stroke or scroll of the screen seems to be accompanied by some bleep, bloop or other sound effect that I've never heard on my own PC!

There was quite a spot on the ABC show "Revenge" last week. The Emily character is getting into a Model S when another character starts talking about it being "nice" and "electric". The weird part was the second character asks something like "where do you plug it in?" to which the Emily character responds "it's top secret" or something like that.

There was quite a spot on the ABC show "Revenge" last week. The Emily character is getting into a Model S when another character starts talking about it being "nice" and "electric". The weird part was the second character asks something like "where do you plug it in?" to which the Emily character responds "it's top secret" or something like that.
Just saw this episode. What seems unique about this one is that they are actually discussing the car rather than it just being in the background. In fact the cop character actually starts some "Tesla time" by saying "cool car by the way, it electric isn't it?"

Here's my first attempt at posting a screen grab from that episode.

PastedGraphic-1.png

The exchange about the charge port is pretty funny, but it was great exposure for the S.
It's Season 4, Episode 3 @ about 28 minutes. (Revenge : Ashes | Season 4 Episode 3 Watch Full Episode - ABC.com)

Can't find this mentioned anywhere:
Superman, man of steel. Lois Lane looking for superman, drives up his parents driveway. Camera is focused on "Kent" mailbox. Driving behind it, out of focus: a silent (except for tire on gravel noise) red hatch back car with Tesla 19in wheels, a a chrome strip going along the rear of a wide hatch. Pretty sure it's a model s.

I was watching Sky Sports F1 in here the UK this evening and an advert came on for a Leasing company, I cant remember its name. Anyway, it featured a white Model S, RHD.

It was my first media sighting of a model S without prompting, except for maybe the Monaco GP one..

First Model S I have seen in a movie.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

When Steve Carell goes for his interview he drives past a bunch of Porsches and parks his van. In the background behind his van is a Model S backed into the parking space.