Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas In The Florida Hurricane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been seeing a few articles theorizing about what would happen in a hurricane situation if all of the vehicles in the state were EV's. Some predict that roadways will be clogged with dead cars and stranded motorists. Many of these predictions are made by authors who seem to have little knowledge about how EV's operate.

There are probably a lot of M3's in Florida. Were any of you caught in the hurricane or do you have any accounts from other Florida owners ?

Reactions: LoudMusic
I think I'd rather have an electric car.

I was in St Pete the 26th and supposed to head to Ft Lauderdale the 28th but changed my mind. Up to that point in time the superchargers I was using around Tampa were generally less than 50% at capacity at any time. On the 27th I decided to head north out of state and in my travels every supercharger was almost at capacity but never did I have to wait for a charging spot.

BTW, the Colombus SC by the Wal Mart is NOT a good place. One of the locals acted like they took a swing at my wife as we were walking on the sidewalk back to the car. 2 Police cars were literally right there by us.

The universe is a scary place, filled with hazards. Creatures, (including humans), evolved and thrived by recognizing hazards and avoiding them. It's in our DNA to fear and be cautious with the unknown. The human response to nearly anything unknown is to imagine all the different ways it might be a hazard and fear it and parents focus on that to guide and protect their children. What if. . . . , What if. . . . .

But the universe is also filled with opportunities and change ALWAYS creates opportunities. We need to carefully consider the facts and case by case decide whether it's a hazard or an opportunity. I have friends who have described our situation as - "I can see this technological tsunami out there on the horizon, sweeping toward us, to wash us all away. But it is so far away, fortunately I will be dead before it gets here."

I feel like my MYLR is my surfboard and I'm paddling out to meet the wave and ride it in, instead of being washed away?

Logically, if EV's were a special problem during hurricanes, it can't be because of moisture, since they are better sealed and less affected than ICE vehicles by moisture. It can't be because of lack of electricity, because ICE vehicles need electricity to make and pump fuel. In fact, just get a few solar panels for back up? I really can't think of any special problems EV's have, other than they might be less well understood than ICE, at this point in time? The FUD is just noise to be ignored - bring on the tsunami, my Tesla and I are waiting for it.

The biggest risk of owning an EV in Florida during hurricane season is if there is a mass evacuation. There are far fewer superchargers than cars in Florida, and if everyone hits the road at the same time, the wait time to charge will be enormous. This, of course, will improve over time, as more high speed chargers are built.

This isn't something abnormal, as during these mass evacuations gas stations also run out of fuel.

I drove my Model 3 from West Palm Beach to Ft. Myers last weekend to bring some supplies to my mother. I drove conservatively on the way there in case I had to make it back home on a single charge (can be done, but need to watch speed to make it happen). But when I got there the Ft. Myers supercharger had power and I could charge enough in about 10 minutes to easily get back home. The supercharger was busy, but not completely packed.

This was better than the gas cars had it. A combination of gas stations without power and gas station with power but no gas lead to extremely long wait times at the gas stations that had both gas and power. Of course, once power comes back on at your house, with an EV you no longer have to worry about the status of the local superchargers, unlike gas cars which always have to worry about the status of local gas stations.

Gas cars had it bad in Hurricane Ian.

My area in north Orlando had gas shortages and gas stations were closed Thursday and many were also closed Friday too for various reasons like loss of power or no gas.

Superchargers were all open near me and also I had power but power was spotty across my entire county.

Reactions: h2oAok
Just saw this. Seems to be missing specific examples...

Oops, Electric Vehicles Are Exploding After Water Damage from Hurricane Ian

By Bob Hoge | 10:15 PM on October 06, 2022

EVs-catch-on-fire-730x0.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: h2oAok
Just saw this. Seems to be missing specific examples...

Oops, Electric Vehicles Are Exploding After Water Damage from Hurricane Ian

By Bob Hoge | 10:15 PM on October 06, 2022

EVs-catch-on-fire-730x0.jpg
I was going to ask about the exploding cars as Florida dries out....it’s all over the internet....but without any facts.
So...does anyone know if it’s true...and if true, are any a Teslas involved?

I was going to ask about the exploding cars as Florida dries out....it’s all over the internet....but without any facts.
So...does anyone know if it’s true...and if true, are any a Teslas involved?

Almost everyone out there has a smart phone. There would be a lot of stories, videos and photos of exploding cars. So far I see nothing, so take it for what it's worth.